Ou vivre?

Good evening to all!
i am an expat, living in Mauritius for almost a year due to my job;
I live in Roches Noire and work neat Belle Mare.

the problem is that by living there i never meet anybody so do not have any friends here and end up by doing nothing as everything is quite far... i would like to live next to some gyms, shopping centers, cinema, restaurants, etc!
The closest city in GB at 20-25min...
I would like to move at the end of the year next to a city but which one?
I am looking at GB, Curepipe, Phoenix, Ebene... all of them will be at around 45min from my work but that would be a sacrifice I would accept..
Let me know your thoughts and preferences please? :)

merci!

Hello Pauline,

You are posting to an Anglophone forum, so would you kindly post in ENGLISH ONLY here out of consideration to all of our other members.

If you wish to post to the French language version of the Mauritius Forum then click on the flag icon in the green banner at the top of this page and select Français from the drop-down menu.

Your cooperation will be appreciated by all.

Regards,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

So sorry! did not realize! will modify the post!

Flacq town is very large and is not so far from Belle Mare.  Recently in the last 6 months a huge new SUPER-U and additional shops has opened on the outskirts  as well as a shopping complex on the road in from Quartier Militaire.  There seems to be a good selection of the shops that are in say BAGATELLE MALL but not as many.

Thank you for your answer! :)
I was meaning actually a city more modern with more nightlife as well...
I know quite well the Super U and Flacq but it is quite average...

Hi Pauline,
I would think Grand Baie or somewhere nearby, as it has lots of nightlife, restaurants, bars,  etc and a busy social scene :)

45 mins journey to work is no problem for the kind of lifestyle that you would like, it will mean your weekends will be busy as there will be plenty to do.

Good luck :)

Grabd Bay may be!!!

If you are a young professional, looking to know more about Mauritius, and Mauritians, it can be better to live in a town like Rose hill or quatre bornes which are near to Ebene and Port Louis, the 2 places where you will find the most business activity relating mainly to IT and Finance. But if you are working in a different sector like hospitality or tourism, then it is preferable to live near your place of work, obviously.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory, thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

How do you go to work?

I assume it's by car. In that case, you can live in QBornes. Flic en Flac would be just 20 mins down the road.

If you prefer to get sun tan like a lobster, I will advise to go for Grand Bay.

cheers
GJ

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct