Help a friend.

Am concerned for a friend, she 28 old married to a Norwegian twice her age they been together for 8 years. They have two kids, shes going thought mentally, sexually, threats, controling abuse, She schooling not working yet, what can she do? Does she stand a chance of losing her family reunion visa if she leaves him?

Every decision for any applications has it's grounds for being approved or denied, i suggest reading some articles/rules in the UDI Immigration regulation page.

You can start here on the 2.2 section 2.2. Abuse in the marriage or cohabitation relationship

Then further dig in to get more information.

hi tatila..

i am sorry to hear about your friend.. :( there is no excuse for any kind of abuse to women and children...

for your question about the chances of her losing her residence permit,  this will depend on what kind of permit she currently hold and how long she had been in Norway.. kindly try answer these questions below,  so we can know how to help u further:

- you mentioned she had been married for 8yrs, but how long had she been staying in Norway?
- what permit is she holding? if its just a residence permit (not permanent residence permit),  this is the residence permit that needs to be renewed every year..
- the children they have,  i assume they are Norwegian citizens?

assuming she have just a residence permit, as far as i know,  she and the kids can continue to live in Norway away from her husband, and her residence permit won't be revoked. She may apply for a special kind of permit:
Residence permit for people who had been subjected to violence in the family - UDI.no

this is what UDI explains about domestic violence and who can extend help to abused family members:
Violence in the family and who can help -  UDI.no

hi Pheebz

They moved to Norway almost 2 years ago, she has residence permit renewed after 3 years. one of her sons has Norwegian citizenship her husband is stepdad to her first son.

I will send her the link.
Thanks you very much.

Over here in Norway women have plenty of rights. Shes probbaly not smart.. She can easly go to the police station and report him or watever and no she wont loose her card becuase she already has her D which means she can live anywhere in Europe for 5 years and she can renew it every 5 years

Shandiliah wrote:

Over here in Norway women have plenty of rights. Shes probbaly not smart...

there are lots of reasons why abused women fail to report abuse... and the number one reason is FEAR - fear for their safety and their life...  also most submissive women in a relationship dont even know that they are being abused, even after u point it out to them... other than that,  some women have reasons why they choose to stay in an abusive relationship, which are reasons they think is worth all the sacrifice.. this is why most countries place a special law that protects women and children,  because they are more vulnerable to abuse... so thats why support and reaching out to help them is really important..

as far as i know,  most citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are required to hold a residence permit or a residence card to legally reside in Norway. technically, Schengen visa type D is only an entry visa which grants  permission for u to enter norway (or any schengen country),  but u still need to secure a residence permit/card from the politi which is renewed every year,  every two years or three or five or ten -- depending on the country u came from,  what UDI rules apply at the time u applied, and the reason u moved to norway.. UDI changes rules so frequently, so my basis is only whats CURRENTLY stated in their website..

going back to the topic on hand,

Tatila wrote:

....They moved to Norway almost 2 years ago, she has residence permit renewed after 3 years. one of her sons has Norwegian citizenship her husband is stepdad to her first son....

as mentioned,  for her case is that the permit needs to be renewed after 3 yrs.. if she had been to Norway for more than 3 years,  it maybe possible that she can apply for a Permanent Residence - UDI.no which allows her to stay in Norway indefinitely.. if this doesn't apply to her current situation,  then the link i provided previously is the one she can use..

i wish ur friend the best of luck :)

If one of her children is a norwegian citizen, i think she can apply for family unification to stay in norway.

She needs to go to the police and the police will refer her to the women crisis centre.  Over there I think they will provide help with lodging, advise and legal aid.