Government job offer in Abu Dhabi with 30k AED salary - good deal?

Hello,

I have been offered a government job (expat analyst) in Abu Dhabi, and they are offering me 30K AED per month. This includes the transport and housing allowance. Medical insurance is also provided. I have 2 master degrees and 2yrs of work experience. I have a girlfriend but would live alone and I dont drive. Would 30K AED allow me to live pleasantly in Abu Dhabi and maybe save a bit of money as well?
Thank you for taking the time to answer me!! :)

30k  is a very gud offer and u r having benefits too.

All the best.

It's reasonable and really good since you don't have kids but it's all depends on where you are from?
I'm getting 26000/- plus some benefits and I have three kids I am able to save something

Thank you for your replies. Im from Europe and yes, no kids, that would be very expensive with the school fees. I was more concerned with the housing costs, I hear the market is very tight, and the food prices, since so much is imported.

So basically you think 30K is enough to rent a small apartment and pay for a single persons upkeep and still put money in the bank for a rainy day? Then I guess I should be fine. :)

yes you can save some money!!

What do you have your Masters in?

This includes everything ? so you have to ask what is your expectations on savings.  To live say at the gate , one room will cost 100K per annum . plus local bills and internet add another 1,000 per month. How will you get to work, local transport might do it Taxi will cost you about 50 AED per day. If you cook for your self allow 600 per week if you get your stuff from Waitrose. The rest is yours. so hope this helps you in your thought process. I have assumed you will want to save minimum 6000 a month for your pension. likewise you may have to pay 12 months rent in advance or at least 6 months. So once you arrive you need to save every month for this.

Lets us know your thoughts

Alan

Thank you all for your answers, this really helps!

@HermanAli: I have a Master of Public Policy and I specialize in public sector consulting.

@busterzx / Alan: Hi Alan, thanks for the info. I have tallied up your numbers, which seem sensible and in line with what I calculated myself (nice to have your assumptions confirmed! :D ). That would leave me with a monthly bill for housing, transport, utilities and food of 13133, rounding up 14K a month without discretionary spending. Thats still less than half of what they are offering me per month! If I now add in a whopping 1K per week of discretionary spending (which seems ridiculous, but who knows), I would save 12K a month. That seems excellent!
As for the 12months advance rent, I have heard that too, but that shouldnt be too big of a problem, the 30K I quoted includes the housing and transport allowance, broken down per month. I have been told that I will get the housing allowance in a lump sum once I sign the contract, so I should be able to cover any advance rent from that.
This seems pretty solid, thank you guys, I feel much more comfortable now. :)

The cost of living in the UAE is not very cheap, housing is quite expensive and transport would be a challenge bcoz taxi is quite pricey. I think you can bargain for at least another 10k otherwise you won't be able to save. Do some more research, it will hepl!