Building codes

There are many alternative building techniques that are a hassle if not impossible to get permits for in America. I've done electrical, AC and construction work most of my life.
Will the government be involved at all in new construction? If they are, how lenient are they? I would want to build in a rural area.
Is it necessary to bribe officials? I really don't think I would want to do that. The less involved they are, the happier I'll be.

I have some experience getting building and business permits and it isn't peaches and cream. Bureaucracy works at its best, very slow. Many trips to do or get  one thing done. Bribing is almost expected but no one asks about it  directly. If you have old man Job's patience, you'll get your permits. Just do not think the getting will run smooth.

We built in  rural area but our permits were pulled in the municipal office in Puriscal.  No bribes were involved, just had to follow the SLOW rules.

We have been involved in building several homes and have never been asked for a 'donation...'
Building with new materials and formats could be a concern and the building permits could be denied. For instance, you can no longer build an adobe residence.
You will have to involve a local architect and get the seal of approval from the College of Architects and they will determine the cost of your permits...and even in a rural area there could be more than you think.
They will check up on you...to make sure you have paid for your workers CAJA and INS insurance.