Medical / Handicap concerns

My son and I have been considering the expat life in CR. I'm 63 and mobile, though I do take medications. My 29 yr old son however is a paraplegic. He is in a self propelled wheel chair. One of our concerns is wheel chair access in public.
We attended a wedding in my old neighborhood in upstate NY last year. It was a mid 19th century area with all the buildings at least 3 ft above road level. There were virtually no public or private facilities with wheel chair access except our hotel! It just wasn't possible to put in ramps with the pre civil war structures close to the curbs. I ended up driving 10 miles to find a barber that he could use. These limitations are game changers for us.
What will we find in CR?

Hello. Unfortunately you will find very little infrastructure for wheel chairs, The good thing is that public transportation does offer lifts, but the side walks, where they exists, were not designed with the wheel chair access in mind. And that is for San Jose, on beach towns the side walk is almost nonexistent.

Thank you for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Not all public buses have lifts and elevators to access higher levels are few and far between.

Are many stores and facilities at ground level? I imagine restaurants and bars are at street level Many homes appear to be low to the ground or is that just in condo's and villa's.

yes, most stores are at ground level. And restaurants on upper floors are required to have a lift, same for schools. Not all complied, though

Most at 'ground' level...but many with steps and often multi-levels within the building. Most wheelchair users use the roads...
Access to WC's for those in wheelchairs is very limited.

Finding suitable accommadations could also be a concern

Please, don't make a move here until you check this out for yourself.

Costa Rica has disabled people too.

There is no real consideration for handicap here..  Side walks are terrible full of pot holes uneven stores can be a problem to a lot are narrow and congested....  Health care is only for those who get residency...   Sounds to you would need a special car vehicles are not cheap here.    I feel it would be difficult to say the least....   but if you insist come and visit before any decisions made I am sure US has more for the handicap than here.   Also unless you have private insurance the public health care here can be slow and poor..

I'm sure there are locals with similar problems. How do they deal with it? Are they limited to staying at home?
As I mentioned earlier, we still find neighborhoods in US that are prohibitive for us too. City life in historic areas can be a problem. Often enough, there is no room to comply with handicap statutes.
I think a bigger problem for us will be finding WC's with 30" doors or even any room to maneuver once he gets past the door.
I guess our first visit will tell us everything we need to know.
Thank you!

Same here but we're in the loop here. We can adapt as long as we have options. Does look like I'll have to definitely rent a vehicle while we're there.

I would really come and visit...  Sidewalks are uneven potted and even for non handicap people it is hard to negotiate .   Public bathrooms are not in any means set up for handicap except maybe big malls.   Most homes are not set up for it either.    Really i do not see very many handicaps down here... I would say they do stay at home . There are a few but really before you do any thing sale any thing I would come down and see. This is still a third world country and by no means compares to the US... I my self am returning after living here six years .  I miss the conveniences of the US.  Remember to public health care is poor long lines no consideration to most part on patients ect Do the home work think it through .  You would have to make a home for the handicap person and no cars are designed for it...  If this is your son what would he do here if you passed away

As previously mentioned, wheelchairs, mostly self propelled but also electric use the roads. Recently many pedestian overpasses have been built, but how families with strollers or wheelchairs can get up the steep incline, I don't know. It is not uncommon to see an electrical pole in the middle of a potholed & rutted sidewalk. Even in the roads
While some tourist facilities offer handicapped access, daily living is not so easy.

Keep in mind that while still a tourist, you would both be required to exit the country every 90 days or less to renew your visa until you have received your comprobante meaning that your application is under consideration, and then,  if you wanted to continue to drive, you would still be required to continue to exit the country  to keep your driving license valid, until you have your cedula in hand, then you can apply for a Costa Rican DL. You can't take a rental care accross the border.

Cars are no problem. I have portable hand controls but I doubt he'd want to drive around town for no reason.
I am worried about bathrooms though. His chair needs 22" access and some maneuvering room once he's in there.
Here, I just let him have the master bedroom and everything is just fine. I'm hearing it won't be that easy in CR.