What is a 'car hotel' ?

We want to drive to Cancun via Texas this November.  Someone said to reserve 'car hotels' for sleeping every night.  this way your car and its contents are secure while you are sleeping.  Anyone heard of this?

I really don't know what a car hotel is.
The route to Cancun goes through cities that have hotels from major chains, some of which have indoor parking.  Stick  with the major chains you find on Expedia, Travelocity, BestDay, Trivago and you shouldn't have any concerns about safety.  If you're pulling a large trailer, maybe that's a concern and it would pay to call the hotels or email them to ask specifically.

Motels in Mexico are places for couples who don't have any other privacy to get away for a few hours to be alone.

Thank you.  I have just found that the name of these places are 'auto hotels'.  They are gated, and yes, used by many 'by the hour'.   If we have our car packed to the ceiling we would prefer to not have to bring everything into a hotel every time we stop for the evening.  Wondering if you have to make a reservation for these places.

I believe "car hotels" are, and I have no experience with them, are motels that have garages for cars. Used primarily for trysts. The car is hidden from the street so no one can suspect that you were there.

Lash wrote:

Thank you.  I have just found that the name of these places are 'auto hotels'.  They are gated, and yes, used by many 'by the hour'.   If we have our car packed to the ceiling we would prefer to not have to bring everything into a hotel every time we stop for the evening.  Wondering if you have to make a reservation for these places.

I doubt you're going to find them on Expedia or Travelocity.  You are likely to see them at exits from the toll roads.  Finding phone numbers to call ahead be a problem.  You might try searching "motel" on http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/ for the cities you plan to stop.

Conversely, the major chains will have 800 numbers in the US and you can ask if they have gated parking either indoors or protected with security guards.

generaly they are for to hide your car from your wife or husband..they hotel sometime buy hour ..some 12 hours. some more no reservations on those hotel just drive park in garage and pay ..have fun

Between Texas and Cancun, a route my husband and I drove every year between 1993 and 1998, when we moved permanently to Mexico, there are several auto hotels that I would recommend. The best ones we found were on the road before Villahermosa, and we discovered them early on. They are unfailingly clean, economical, and have room service in a hidden lazy susan. Just don't turn on the TV! Last year I drove from Cancun to Veracruz with my son and his wife and, finding no room at the regular hotel, we took two rooms in the neighboring "no-tell motel"--as usual it was clean, with great towels, as well as a few other things in the "welcome basket." The security is excellent, the car is locked in a garage steps from the room, and while I generally feel safe in Mexico, I felt extra safe in those motels.

I travel a lot in Mexico, and use hotels with secured parking. Even when the car was somewhat visible from the street I never had a problem. I have never seen these "car hotels" advertised.

travellight wrote:

I travel a lot in Mexico, and use hotels with secured parking. Even when the car was somewhat visible from the street I never had a problem. I have never seen these "car hotels" advertised.

They are everywhere and when you see them after you know what they look like you will notice them. They are motels, not usualy hotels except in El DF, and have no access without going through the person controlling the bar across the driveway usually at a window you drive up to, high walls so you can´t see inside the compounds, carports or garages and usually room service 24 hours a day and many are in the suburbs of cities or on highways close by.  Quite often the busy ones will not let you have a room on Friday and Saturday for 24 hours only for 4 hours for about $250 pesos. The signs usually have the 4 hour rate.

They are also called "love hotels" and you pay by the hour.  Many travelers stay in them esp. if they aren't staying a full 24-hours esp. if they have kids and/or pets.  Ive read about them on several expat Mexico travel blogs.  If you Google "mexico love motels" you will probably find more info.  Other countries such as Japan have them as well.

Thanks everyone for good info.   Any other helpful hints/suggestions for driving from Laredo border to Cancun?

These establishments are called "hoteles de paso" in Spanish, pass-by hotels, and they are indeed mostly used by folks seeking privacy for sex. However, they are not the seedy places we associate that with above the Rio Grande. They often are very snazzy spots and nicely appointed, often with jacuzzis. I live directly next door to one. And they are great for travelers too. Forget reservations. When you see one, and they are easy to identify, just pull on in and pay. They are invariably very inexpensive. I've never seen one where you pay by the hour, but often the stay is limited to 12 hours and there's no in-and-out for your car.

Hello!
I have lived in central Mexico for nearly 5 years. When my husband and I travel we often use Auto Hoteles. They're designed for privacy. When you enter, there is a barricade, and you speak into a speaker - no office here! Normally you'll be asked how many hours you'd like to stay.
Many people use these hotels for short-term private liassons. After the barricade is lifted you enter. Usually a person walks in front of your car to lead you to your room. There is often a private garage downstairs with closing doors and the room is above that. We have found them to be extremely clean, well-designed, and comfortable, often with marble or tile bathrooms/showers that would be considered luxurious in the US. My personal advice would be to use these hotels. We have had no negative experiences.
Good luck in your travels.

a car hotel is a very good idea

Lol Its where Mexican husbands bring their girlfriends.