Moving with my brother in Dominican Republic

August 11th me and my brother will arrive in Punta Cana for starting a new life there....I m a doctor but even if in Europe I don t have a bad life (but stresfull) we would like to move in "Paradise" and have a quiet life there....We come to start from zero.....I m a good christian,well manered....Me and my brother ,we will need a place to rent,not very expensive or live in a locals home for a while untill we see how life is there and start working...if anyone can offer us a place to stay on a cheap price please let us know...my facebook ID is : Eduard Houston- Gotenburg Sweden...thank you

Eduard welcome to the forum. First off never put your personal information (email, FB, phone etc) on a public forum.  You might want to remove that part.

Have you ever been here before??  Why Punta Cana which is really a tourist zone and has very little to do with the "real DR".

Before you make final plans and cut all ties with your homeland you might want come and spend a month or two exploring the country. It is a big country with very different and distinct areas.  I hope you do not plan on practicing medicine here as the process to get your license here is quite difficult (I know from personal experience).

Lots of good folks here on the board with lots of good info for you.

Good luck

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.   I hope you are coming with some money as you will not be able to jump into a work situation quickly or easily.   Are you planning to file for residencia? You will need this to get any type of work.  Are you wanting to continue as a doctor????  That will be a complicated process but is likely doable.

Why Punta Cana?   It is one of the most expensive areas to live.

Thanks for the answers...I have been 6 times in vacation in Dominican Rep and I know the situation there....I had and have a stresfull life in Europe and my decision it's taken...I will arrive August 11th....I still look for a place to rent wich will not be expensive...I come wirh money,I don t expect to find a job as soon as I get there...first of all I need to rest...I had many traumas in Europe (it's a long story) ...all I want it s peace....I realized that my doctor diploma of Europeanian Union it s not recognized there but I will see what steps I will take to get right with it...I love this job...I don t want necessary to live in Punta Cana...I know it s a turistic zone and very expensive...I did not even find a location to rent but still looking....the fact is that I don t have friends overthere and if someone can help me just for the beginning with a location that would be very appreciated...All I want  in this moment is to have a quiet life and after getting off of the stress accumulated I will do my best to handle life there...I m not coming there to get rich...I m coming for a quiet life...I know to live even poor if necessary but QUIET...any help with a location would be much appreciated...thank you

There is a facebook group called: Clasificados Bavaro   If you have FB  check it out as there are often apartment offers posted and sometimes just rooms for rent.

Thank you very much for the information...I will look on fb to that group and will try to get in contact with them...Thank you very much again

I try every day to find an apartment to rent...I did not think it's so hard. I contacted many people from DR in private on fb but nothing...I will keep trying...if not I will just take the chance to just arrive there and look myself for renting....I come there to get rest and peace after many traumas I had in Europe....I was in vacation 6 times in DR and I realized the people are very friendly...now I don't find any friend to understand my situation and help me with a simple thing : RENT...I might seem crazy saying these things and maybe I have too many expectation on people that never met me...Finally I will just risk and land in Punta Cana and pray that God will bring the right people to help me out somehow...thanks to those who responded me and wish you all the best

Good luck.  Boots on the ground is the best way to find an apartment.  However  you are heading to a tourist zone so expect less availability and much higher rents in this area

Bob K

Make sure you have a reservation at some hotel in the area,  dont  just arrive.  THEN  start looking honey.  And it is unrealistic to expect  responses in  24 hours here.  It is just not normal here.  Good luck,  keep us posted.

Thank you...I talked to some locals from Punta Cana on fb and they try to find me something...my brother is not coming anymore,so I will be just me alone....But I will see when I get there...Thanks for all

I have already some promisses from some locals I ve been talking throught fb but I don t rely on unknown...so I will come prepared to have some days in a hotel and than start looking in case they are not serious....thanks for everything and I will keep you informed...Be blessed all !!! ...By the way...my brother is not comming anymore ,so I will be just me

Thanks Bob for your informations...I ve been in DR in vacation 6 times...I know something about the country...I would be interested what steps I have to take to get the equivalance of my European doctor diploma ,so I could work there as a doctor...Thank you !

Currently you would need to take the national exam (like a board exam) in Spanish

Then serve a 1-2 year internship in a local public hospital/clinic ( for almost no pay)

Then  you would get your general license.  If you wanted to practice your specialty you would need to complete a local residency (usually sub par to the training you already have).

I researched this when I arrived here.  I had my specialty (Ob/Gyn) from the US.  Was a professor at a major medical school,  Chairman of my dept in a 500 bed hospital, and 20 years of private practice.  Here all worth NOTHING to the powers to be in the DR.  So needless to say I have not practiced medicine here.  Too bad as it is their loss.

Bob K

That is quite sad Bob!   YOu bring all this talent and knowledge to the table and no one gets the benefit of it!

That is how I felt

Bob K

Thanks Bob for your information...I want to inform you that I already found an apartment grace of one on the members of this forum which has a real estate...so no more worries about the place I live...He will also pick me up from the airport...Thank you all for the kindness of advising me and after I get there I hope we could meet in person and share experiences...God bless you all !!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bob K

Good to hear!  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!