Weather

We visited in June and it was pretty warm! Our thoughts were we could live the hotter three months in the hills of Jarabacoa, since everyone seems to brag on the climate there. However i have been tracking the temperatures there and they seem to parallel the temperatures here in SE Texas. So my question is, 'Are the temperatures any milder in the hills of Jarabacoa, or not?

Just like we had in Colorado the hills were always a bit cooler than in the "flats" but still can be pretty warm in the summer.

Bob K

In the summer the difference is almost unnoticeable during the day, It only refreshes at night. Now, during fall, winter and spring is quite amazing!

Yes evenings and nights during the fall and winter are ....wonderful!!

Bob K

I am from  south east Texas (Galveston) and I also do not find any differences in the heat or temperature. At night it can cool down of course but its Mucho Calor almost all the time. But yes the mountains tend to be cooler.

I don't think SE Texas is as humid as it is here. Humidity makes the heat feel hotter.

In Colorado we would walk around town on a day of 95 degree heat (with 11% humidity) and comment that it "is a bit warm today"  Here walking around on a 95 degree day with 70% humidity and the comment is "oh my god it is hot today"
:D

Bob K

It's July 20th and almost half way through summer. This is not hot at all. Thailand is hot. Also, it was much hotter than this for weeks many months ago.

I don't get what everyone is talking about with the hot weather. I'm next to the mountains here in Bonao so that probably makes a difference as it cools down at night most of the time. In the daytime in the past week it was not hot at all.

In the mountains like Jarabacoa, Constanza, and Sierra de Bahoruco is not as humid as in the towns in the lower levels of the Island during the day in Summer. If it gets cloudy or at night the temperature drops and it feels really good. I know a few people that have moved to the mountains looking for better temperatures saying they can't stand the heat anymore. I don't blame them :)

Actually even here on the north coast the evenings are not bad.  We still have not turned on the AC and in our front bedroom there is a cool breeze all night.  NO AC, no fan and sometimes a light blanket.  Now during the day a different story but by 2PM or so a nice breeze so it becomes comfortable in the shade.

Bob K

I have never seen humidity in Rep Dom like I have in Houston. Never!. Houston often has 98 to 100% You must not have spent much time in South east Texas..

We have no AC in our house. I like it, my wife does not want the bill so guess who loses. Its ok if you take a cold shower before bed and I sleep like a rock

Houston Humidity average is 90% I just looked it up
Puerto Plata hovers around 80%-82%

Bob it seems this year is more normal.  The last 2 summers seemed hotter then normal,  started earlier and went on forever.....  Maybe this is just normal????

The nights are reasonably comfortable even for July. Lets see what happens as we head into August / September - traditionally the hottest and most humid months of the year.

OH I can hardly wait :D:D:D

This summer just seemed to start awful early, like in April :D

Bob K

Just get ready for what comes next. I just read the last report about El Niño, and it's expected to beat records, the first effects will be felt after September and with predictions of a very hot winter. Winters here are usually hot.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a … ars/54618/

Ohhhh crap that does not sound good....

Is anyone selling a 24k and/or 12k BTU inverter AC? I want to buy one. Used is good too.

Ok I gave up last night and for the first time this year turned on the AC.  Great night's sleep

Bob K

I run mine every night here,  it's hot.  We are close to the water but its just hot and humid.......  and I am a whusssss.   :D

usually in the front bedroom we have a pretty good breeze all night long (actually wake under the covers many times) but last night.......nada

Bob K

If there is a good breeze and lower humidity I am good,  but always I have a ceiling fan. IF the humidity is high on goes the a/c cause I cannot stand that feeling.   I work  too many hours not to sleep well.  And frankly I am bitchy if I don't sleep well..... :o

We actually had two 45 second light showers yesterday afternoon.  Certainly not really good for anything as it just made the surfaces wet and not much else. Well it did lift everyone's spirits for a minute or two.  Things are getting serious here as far as rain goes.

Bob K

Bob I think they are serious in most of the country! We are in a drought and there is not much relief in sight.   With the El Nino there is a reduction in rainfall in this area associated with it.

A reduction we could probably live with but we have had no measurable rain here in almost 2 months.

Bob K

There was an item in the news last week about the serious nature of the drought and they had a big meeting to talk about measures to conserve water. End result - please don't wash your cars!!!!  Really...

Wait  you mean the politicols are going to ride around in dirty $100,000US Jeeptas.  Say it is not so :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Bobby is funny jajaj

He sure is....