Bangkok on a tight budget tips

Hello! me and my girlfriend blew most of our budget the first two weeks. (floating markets, elephants, tigers, snooker club, pattaya. muay thai, etc) and have about two weeks of holidays left with only 5-6000 baht left. ( hotel already paid and emergency funds not included). I'd like to have some tips/advice on what we can do cheaply in bangkok. We already do the following:

eat at the markets
zone out at MBK or the Arcade
play pool
ride the airport link and stroll around neighborhoods.

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Hello

That is not a lot left, did you try the khlong saen saep express boat, it cost 19 THB per people to go from Pratunam pier to Bangkapi pier, and in Bangkapi shopping mall ( next to the pier ) there is a water park on last floor of the shpping mall ( entrance was 200 THB ), you can bring your food and spend a day there relax, it is a place where most thai people go, not really known by tourist, advice is to avoid this place on week end as crowded, check the meteo also.

There is also the aquarium in Siam Paragon shopping mall called sea life but maybe a bit expensive on your tight budget, foreign with a thai driving licence or any form of thai identity will pay the Thai price 490 instead of 990 for tourist, most attraction in Thailand have 2 different pricing.

Siam paragon is expensive but Bangkapi mall is priced correctly as the customers are more local people.

Others attractions in Bangkok you can do, visit some museums, some famous temples ( wat arun , wat pho, the temple of the golden buddha, ... ), chao phraya river cruise, Lumpini park, Central World Plaza, zoo, etc.

Enjoy your last 2 weeks of holidays.

Thank you for your quick reply! I'll look into the boat from pratunam after I figured out how to get there from us. Bangkapi water park seems like a fun thing too. Taxis  can add up quite some costs over the weeks and our hotel is across the street  at the ramkhamhaeng  airport link so we usually try to go by bts or mrt. We already visided Wat arun and Wat pho. While Wat Arun was mostly under construction Wat Pho was gorgeous.

I'm going to have to skip on the aquarium due to our limited funds. River cruises seem like a fun idea if I can figure out how to get there safely, Bangkok can be quite confusing at times. Thank you for your wonderful input :)

Try strolling around parks like Benjasiri, Benjakiti located on walking distance from Asoke BTS   and Chatuchak located near mo chit BTS.  Benjakiti was super nice. I liked it.  They all are free, though. Evening time is best.

Thanks for the tips :)

We found quite some fun and cheap things. We stumbled upon chatuchak park too on our way to the free sunday afternoon muay thai at the channel 7 stadium. Other than that we made quite some friends overnight here at the i-net cafes, which are about 50 baht a night, handy for those sleepless nights.

Central world freaked us out abit, too much upper class and not the fun and harrasment of MBK, it didn't feel like thailand. Street markets are technically free too, but not being able to buy anything isn't as fun for me.

Thanks for all the input.

where is that i-net cafe located if you dont mind telling me?

about a 5 min walk from ramkhamhaeng airport link. It's a cafe thai. you can recognize it by the red chairs. there are 10 baht/hour too here but they are dirtier, this one is quite clean. soi 29 ramkhamhaeng.

I think i did not read your post properly...took it for a hostel ;)

I found this list of 10 free things to do there in BKK for my upcoming trip, you might have done some already but it's def worth checking out, I especially like the idea of the crocs in chinatown!

bangkok.com/magazine/10-fun-free-to-do.htm#promo

I get there in a few weeks myself so would be awesome if you could post any tips here :)

The free muay thai boxing every sunday at channel 7 stadium is an absolute must imo. It's run by the royal thai army and an easy walk from Mo chit BTS station. here's all the info:

.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok/2998

Hello,
Go to visit Chinatown. From there, take a boat to cross the chaopraya river and you will be able to rent bicycles at a very cheap price (you will need you passport)
Friday, saturday and sunday evening you have a great night market. It's on sinakarin road close to Second square shopping mall. The name of this market is Tarat rot fai (train market). It's a really typical thai market with few foreigners.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d4322781-r155240397-Train_night_maket-Bangkok.html

You can also go to samut prakhan and visit the Elephant Temple - Erawan museum (30 metres high) (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erawan_Museum) and from there go to Muang Bojan (ancient siam) it's a park with reproductions of the main monuments in Thailands. You can rent bicycles or golf cars to visit it. It will cost you a bit to do everything. Probably too much but these 2 places are nice

(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Siam).

It might work well to just replace the idea of doing things that are free with doing what the locals do, those that don't spend time at Central World or Paragon, the other kind. 

The Dusit Zoo is nice, not expensive at all, and the plant-life is a lot more mature than most of the parks in Bangkok, with a good sized lake.  There is a planetarium and science museum that could be interesting, if a bit confusing due to extensive use of Thai language (forgot that link--Google it).  Muay Thai boxing events are priced higher for foreigners but I think would still be quite reasonable, on the order of 300 or 400. 

As someone mentioned walking around Chinatown is free, until you buy things, and could be paired with use of the Express riverboat system, which costs 15 baht per trip, or with a lot of other things that are located near one of the many piers (see separate discussion thread on the boats).

Really there must be layers of history and museums and local points of interest that few locals and fewer expats or tourists know about here.   It's not so trendy to use guides now but references like the Lonely Planet would know of many because they've done online research as well.  There are free online equivalents, travel information sites, but of course these are going to be a lot more limited, replacing 10 or 15 references per page with a much shorter total.  It would be important to keep in mind that the more local-oriented one gets the less English would be useful, so eventually things just wouldn't be feasible anymore.

Go to some of the good temples like Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Good for half a day each. The flower market is worth going to.

2 weeks on 6000 baht ?

im not sure you can do much or anything except eat to survive.

if i were you i'd try to catch an earlier flight home.

good luck.