Voltage Adapters...buy them in the US or wait and buy them in KW?

Can anyone tell me if I should buy a couple of voltage adapters here in the US and bring with to KW....or wait and buy them once I get to KW? Is it cheaper here or there in KW?
I found a couple of Amazon:

$14.00 for a Simran SMF-200 Deluxe 200 Watts Step Down Voltage Converter for International Travel to AC 220V/240V Countries ~ Ideal for Laptops, Cameras, iPhones, Blackberry, iPods etc.
It is just for one device...thinking I could use it for my Vitamix?

and

$45.00 for a BESTEK® Portable 6A Max Travel Adapter & Power Converter Voltage 220V to 110V with Interchangeable UK/US/AU/EU Plugs
This one has 3 outlets and 3 USBs...thinking it could use it for my phone, tablet, laptop?

I have limited space/weight for my move, but if these prices are better than in KW I will get them now. If not, I will wait till I get to KW.....any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! :-)

Most electronics are already dual voltage, so you won't need a converter.  You can get power strips with surge protection pretty cheaply that have uk, 2 prong Europe as well as US style plugs.  Save your space.

http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?main … cts_id=228

Most small electronics can handle any voltage from 110 to 140, so no need for a transformer.
It's printed on the power supply, so very easy to check.
Kuwait uses 220/240 volts with British or Indian style sockets (if that site is acurate), so the worst you're likely to need is an adapter so your US plugs will fit.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mKmpWZxqLYY50ZY9jH2eK5A.jpg

http://www.adaptelec.com/images/large/wa-10_LRG.jpg

As a note, the Indian style sockets were a UK standard for many years, which is probably why they're used in India.

i've checked my vitamix and it is only 110, same with my wii, phone and iPad....won't they get destroyed if I don't use a voltage converter?

sayitloud wrote:

i've checked my vitamix and it is only 110, same with my wii, phone and iPad....won't they get destroyed if I don't use a voltage converter?

It will go bang, possibly in a spectacular way.

I've just checked all my USB stuff, all multi voltage. as are my computers, camera chargers, and every other electronic toy I own, including the big Samsung TV, this cheap Polytron TV I use as a computer monitor, and my LG projector.

I can't find a thing that doesn't work on all voltages - perhaps you're reading it wrongly?

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Charging-block.jpg

Look for  - input voltage 100 - 240 v 50/60 hz

If the US versions only work with 110v, it's new PSUs or a transformer.

sayitloud wrote:

the phones and laptops are all duel voltage... I bought most of my stuff in the US (most apple products) and they work fine here (and the things I got here work fine back home) ... just need a plug adapter and they're cheep and plentiful here.  on the other hand, things like electric shavers and other small appliances will fry up quick.  Just make sure you have them fully charged when you come (dont plug them in here!) so you have a few days to locate and purchase what you need here (it's the best and cheapest approach in the long run), unless your only staying like a month. 

Good Luck, relax, and have fun with your new adventure!  :)

Enigmausly wrote:

the phones and laptops are all duel voltage...

is that a duel to the death? :P

legacy wrote:
Enigmausly wrote:

the phones and laptops are all duel voltage...

is that a duel to the death? :P

Warning - Gramar ad speling police are active in this area. You may have to pay a fine for using the wrong ward.
All you can do is prey you don't get arrested. :D

I will now hide behind the sofa. :D

Thanks for the advice and info..looks like I will need adapters for my small appliances...are the two in my original post a good price or can I find cheaper and better and nice I move to Kuwait?

sayitloud wrote:

Thanks for the advice and info..looks like I will need adapters for my small appliances...are the two in my original post a good price or can I find cheaper and better and nice I move to Kuwait?

I'm truly shocked (electrical joke there).
More seriously, I'm amazed the US versions don't follow the rest of the world.
Looks like it's new ones when you get over there, and they'll have the correct plugs for the local outlets.

WARNING - Don't buy the cheap ones, they have a nasty habit of not working, and overvoltage from a cheap PSU can destroy an expensive bit of kit.

You could buy the BESTEK® Portable 6A Max Travel Adapter & Power Converter, it might well be cheaper and less messing about.
At least the input is 100-240 V

Thanks for the advice!!!

So, I've been here for almost 4 weeks and found a 2000w step-down converter for my Vitamix at RTC in Hawally. Paid 20KD which seems to be about right compared to prices I saw online and at other electronic shops. I must say that RTC is the most legit spot I've come across for electronic stuff!!

sayitloud wrote:

I must say that RTC is the most legit spot I've come across for electronic stuff!!

:top: Love that place!