Where do you guys buy vegetables, stuff like kidney beans, Rice ,etc

Any ideas if you are interested in buying such stuff and cooking things at home.

Will be in BKK for 2 months.

Thanks

I'm not really seeing a clear question here.  One can buy food at a grocery store?  There are local markets but for rice and beans might as well go to Tesco, Big C, Tops, etc.

I have not visited those places apart from 7/11. I was there as a tourist so I spent most of my time on sight seeings.

Thanks for giving me pointers like Tesco, Big C, Tops etc.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Places where you could buy such stuff.

By far the easiest place to shop is those grocery stores, and that's the list of the main ones, so there would be no need to go anywhere else. 

Villa is the name of another foreigner oriented grocery store (more imported selection), and Fuji is the main Japanese brand themed grocery store (great for picking up fresh noodles, tofu, or miso paste, etc.).  They also have a higher end grocery store version in the Emporium, Central World, and Paragon but I forget the name of those; not really so different though, just slightly more expensive with a slightly different selection.

About local markets, I love those, and they can be a great alternative for picking up some vegetables or local-themed prepared foods, or fresh fish, etc.  In practice most expats or visitors would only go there for novelty value since the selection isn't that much different and prices can be lower but it doesn't add up that much (although it really would for a diet of home cooked meals). 

Tesco Lotus's vegetable selection is awful, it seems to me, generally low quality, so you would get better products for less at local markets, but it's a far different experience than visiting a grocery store.  For me that's a nice part, but it's not as if I go to them on a monthly basis (but then my wife typically does the shopping).

Thanks a lot for your informative post. Made my life easy!

I like to check out the larger local markets, these usually carry most common Asian veg plus the usual Western suspects like potatoes, onions and carrots.

The big supermarkets like Tops and BigC are worth keeping an eye on for stuff like asparagus and celery.

Most Thai produce markets carry dried goods like kidney beans but make sure you keep them in the freezer, most have not been chemically fumigated and may carry bugs like weevils that will even flourish in airtight containers.
The supermarket offerings are treated of course... personally I prefer a few bugs.

asad100101 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your informative post. Made my life easy!

Asad,
Here are the different types of markets in Bangkok.
1) Talad Soat (fresh market) the floor is wet, foul smell and dim lights. Prices are reasonable if you don't get ripped off.
2) Talad Nut are usually make shift stalls that sells in the evenings. 3 bundles of vegetables is 20 Baht only.
You need to eat the vegetables fast as
they are not fresh. If not wrap in a
newspaper and store in the vegetables
compartment of the fridge. Eat them
within 2 days.

3) Hyper markets like Tesco Lotus; Big
C and Makro. They cater more for local
thai food and quality is low compare to
supermarkets. Prices are lower.

4) Supermarkets like Tops; Home Fresh
Mart; Villa; Foodland; Isetan and Fuji.

5) Indian and Muslims market are at the
junction of Asoke and Sukhumvit. Best
is at Par Hoo Rut near The Old Siam
shopping centre in Chinatown. You can
get all the spices there including ghee
and balsmtic rice.

For gourmet market they have a good
range of food and located at Siam
Paragon; Emporium and Terminal 21.

Home fresh mart are in all Mall shopping
centre and various branch stock food is
different.

Foodland has pita bread which other
places don't have.

Fuji and Isetan are to Japanese food but
have certain foreign food too.

Vila has a good range of food too.

For Tops, the best place is at Central Chidlom as wide range compare to other Tops supermarket.

Tops at Pantip Plaza, Ngammongwan is very limited range of food.

As you are from Pakistan, I guess you
are a Muslim so you need to go around to check it out.

The cheapest place for chicken in
Bangkok is Saha Farm. They have
chicken sausage, minced chicken meat
etc. NO pork are sold here as they cater
to Muslims. Only 1 outlet in Thailand. No
supermarket or hypermarket or fresh
market can beat their price.
They sell grilled duck and duck in soy sauce too.

Nearby there is a vegetable farm too in
a housing estate. Vegetables that is
hygienic for salad ;-)

Certain spices might not be available in Thailand as my personal stock are hand carried by my overseas friends for me to enjoy.

Have fun shopping and eating.

While we are talking groceries, I lost my former source for vegetarian sausage (soy based, I think), which a store in the Ari vegetarian food shop area used to carry, but it closed. 

The versions in all the grocery stores are really expensive, more so than meat, and they only sell it in small quantities.  The brand I'd been buying was a better product, tastier, sold in bulk (something like a kilogram), and cost much less.  Any input about that?

bkk tea blog wrote:

While we are talking groceries, I lost my former source for vegetarian sausage (soy based, I think), which a store in the Ari vegetarian food shop area used to carry, but it closed. 

The versions in all the grocery stores are really expensive, more so than meat, and they only sell it in small quantities.  The brand I'd been buying was a better product, tastier, sold in bulk (something like a kilogram), and cost
much less.  Any input about that?

Hello Train Lover,
Sorry I don't know but if you are interested in different types of dumplings that you boil or Gyoza, I can point you the direction.
They are the only one with wide range of dumplings/Gyoza - vegetables; pork; chicken; beef; mutton; mix of vegetables with meat.
I love it and pack home too if I dine there. Price is cheaper than the so called best Gyoza restaurant at Siam Paragon near Gourmet market.
Are you a vegetarian?

I'd love to hear about a better place to get gyoza.  I was a vegetarian for a long time, about 17 years, but I eat a little meat now.  I'd rather not eat a lot of it but I wasn't putting the right effort in and my health seemed to suffer from dietary limitations.

I was really asking about vegetarian sausage, but other leads would be nice.  When you think of it if sausage could be made from soybeans and mixed with similar spices and thickeners (as it already is in veggie sausage) instead of using scraps of animals in normal sausage then that's a great way to limit animal body parts intake, probably without sacrificing much in the way of nutritional value.

bkk tea blog wrote:

I'd love to hear about a better place to get gyoza.  I was a vegetarian for a long time, about 17 years, but I eat a little meat now.  I'd rather not eat a lot of it but I wasn't putting the right effort in and my health seemed to suffer from dietary limitations.

I was really asking about vegetarian sausage, but other leads would be nice.  When you think of it if sausage could be made from soybeans and mixed with
similar spices and thickeners (as it
already is in veggie sausage) instead of
using scraps of animals in normal
sausage then that's a great way to limit
animal body parts intake, probably
without sacrificing much in the way of
nutritional value.

It's a Chinese restaurant that serves Beijing food and been around for 20 years in Bangkok. The name of restaurant is in Chinese characters thus westerners and Thais don't know as they can't read.

On weekends at night, it's pack with Koreans; Japanese and other Asians. Usually need bookings for large group.

Day time during lunch is Koreans and Japanese housewives.

It's at Sukhumvit Soi 41 & the first sub Soi on the right. The restaurant is 4 or 5 shop space on the left.

At the front of Sukhumvit Soi 41 is Miracle Hall with Tops supermarket on the right and condo on the left.

Menu comes in English; Chinese; Japanese and Thai language with pictures too.

The dumplings/goyza is best in Bangkok. I prefer the dumplings as it's not pan fried as goyza is fried.

For take away, tell them you want it raw and they wrapped in newspaper as it's freeze. You can cook at home by boiling it or steam it thus healthy food.

Order Mah Po Tow Fu and tell them less chilli if you can't eat spicy. Famous dish for the Japanese too as you can buy ready cook in supermarket too.

It's soy bean curd cooked with black beans, vegetables and Chinese sauce. Oh there is mined pork too.

Try the twisted Man Tow (Chinese bread) with stew lamb in a claypot is
yummy.

For desserts, you can have banana or water melon or apple in hot caramel then dip in a pot of ice otherwise it burns your tounge.

The red bean pancake is great as that is traditional Chinese dish

Appetizer is seaweed and many people love it especially ladies or vegetarian.

Best to enjoy Chinese food is 4 people upwards.

If you need nice dim sum or baby oyster porridge, I can point you the direction too.

That is very useful information. Really appreciated it. Covered up all my concerns as I am also a muslim.

@rejoice

there are many hyper markets and supermarkets around in thailand, named Big C, Big C Extra, Tesco Lotus, Villa Markets etc.
they have more common varieties of your grocery items to buy from there.

If you go to local wet market, certain items maybe slightly cheaper, but varieties might not be there so much. The wet market can provide more varieties type of vegetables. But some market open morning only, some markets open evening time, from around 4pm to 6pm. You just have to explore your local  perimeter area of where you will stay to know where the local market are or to ask the local people.

But in BKK, many varieties food are sold everywhere and many stores and restaurants on the streets. Sometimes for small eater, is cheaper to eat outside than cooking. the disadvantages of eating outside is that too much msg. not so healthy food.

1 of Thailand trademark is you can find food at almost every corner of the road; street; lane.

I'm selective of the food outside especially deep fried food as their cooking oil is cheap oil and strong smell. Besides the deep fried fish or pork or chicken etc are dry inside whereby no meat juice and it's like eating leather.

Neither I'm into the raw food like Thai salad - Yam because they don't wash the utensils after mixing the salad.

I prefer to cook for myself even it's for myself only. I use Conola and Olive oil. I don't use fish sauce as it's lots of salt. I go for healthy seasoning, clean way of cooking and food that I miss especially it's not sold in Thailand.

I really liked Thai food I ate a different dish every day but I guess eating same dishes every day will be bland after a while. So I need variety at the end of the day.

asad100101 wrote:

I really liked Thai food I ate a different dish every day but I guess eating same dishes every day will be bland after a while. So I need variety at the end of the day.

Asad, not many thai food are halal since you are muslim. I understand some Muslims doesn't share untensils with non Muslims.

So a non Muslim may use the same pot or pan to cook pork and then other food too.

Usually muslim tourist will go to Sukhumvit Soi 3 to eat as many Arabic food there or a Muslim restaurant at Petchaburi road near a mosque there.

@rejoice,

Oh really! What observation! They give you a booklet with pictures and ingredients written on it, and it is clearly mentioned if this dish has a pork item or not. For example, American fried rice had a pork item in it, I avoided it.
I did not eat food from road side . They were just cooking their stuff in open space. What kind of cooking oil they were using I did not have an idea plus they had to earn some profits. If there are charging 70-80 baht dish their quality is questionable. yeah, I have no idea how they cook in their kitchen.

I will check out those areas for sure.

I avoided eating food at Indian/Pakistani restaurants because they  use so much "spice" in their dishes. That's why I preferred Thai cuisine over Indian/Pakistani cuisine. I prefer spice but a little. Food can be delicious even without spice if you know how to cook.

Thanks for sharing useful information again.

Asad,
Thailand is a Buddhist country and many Muslims are in the south. There are Muslims in Minburi area so there are Muslims food.
Thai restaurants does not separate cooking equipment, utensils for pork and others. They will use the same pot or pan to cook pork and other dishes.
They can tell you if the dish has pork or not.
Thai restaurants doesn't buy Halal food so even it's no pork but chicken, it does not follow Muslims law.
Very few Thais understand Muslims tradition and they know is no pork, fasting and 4 wives only.
I grew up with muslims; different types of Indians, different types of Chinese, Eurasian etc thus I know the different ethnic groups; lifestyle; food and religion.
If you go to Malaysia, some Muslims stall will not serve you if you are eating non Halal food. They ask you to have take away so that their plates and utensils doesn't touch non Halal food. No Muslims work in Chinese restaurant but Indonesian muslims work in Chinese restaurant.
A non married Muslim couple are not allowed in a hotel room or house in Malaysia themselves. Their religious leaders may arrest them. Even if 1 of them is a non Muslim. Foreigner or local can be arrested.
Thailand doesn't care what a couple do in a hotel room or house for non married
couple.
Pakistan is also strict on Muslim laws as I had been to Karachi and Lahore unless it's changed now. To enjoy Pakistan, one get invited to private parties just like middle east countries too.
Now Thai government is trying to help thai Muslims to export Halal food as they loose out to Malaysia; Singapore and Indonesia.
Even Singapore Chinese company does very well to export Chinese dumplings to middle east countries as it's Halal. As you know, they pray first before slaughter the chickens etc. Religious council will verify and issue the Halal sign and certificate.

Yup, very informative post. Learned a lot. Kind of an eye opener for me. 

certain things are debatable but I would not say that those countries like Pakistan, Malaysia and UAE are strictly Islamic countries ala Saudi Arabia when it comes to certain things. Nobody asks for a marriage certificate and so a non married couple can stay in a hotel in of one those countries without any issues. And you can buy and drink alcohol even though you are muslims.  I visited Malaysia and UAE also I know the ropes.

certain rituals are still followed like no pork is sold, cutting chicken islamic way etc

Thanks.

Before the posts get any further off topic can we please post only on the topic.
Thank you

one of my favorite local restaurants here where I work is a Muslim place.  for a strict Muslim most places would be completely out since they would mix use of pans and utensils related to different dishes and wouldn't even be careful enough about ingredients.

Hi everyone,

Here the thread is on " Where do you guys buy vegetables, stuff like kidney beans, Rice ,etc " please stay on it and avoid off topic.

Thank you

Stéphanie

stumpy wrote:

Before the posts get any further off topic can we please post only on the topic.
Thank you

Hi Stumpy,
Sorry if off topic.
If you see the thread was started by Assad from Pakistan and requesting help on where to buy food.
Then He even mentioned about eating Muslim food and trying to help him out on where are the places and different rules of Muslims as comparison of Malaysia and Indonesia.
I'm trying to suggest what and where are the places etc.
Sorry if talking about Muslim food is not allowed to the person who started this thread.

asad100101 wrote:

Yup, very informative post. Learned a lot. Kind of an eye opener for me. 

certain things are debatable but I would not say that those countries like Pakistan, Malaysia and UAE are strictly Islamic countries ala Saudi Arabia when it comes to certain things. Nobody asks for a marriage certificate and so a non married couple can stay in a hotel in of one those countries without any issues.
And you can buy and drink alcohol even
though you are muslims.  I visited
Malaysia and UAE also I know the
ropes.

certain rituals are still followed like no
pork is sold, cutting chicken islamic way
etc

Thanks.

Asad
You started the thread about buying vegetables; beans and rice so we must stick to the topic as mentioned by 2 people of this web site.
Sorry cannot share with you more about food especially Muslims and the tradition.
Cheers

bkk tea blog wrote:

one of my favorite local restaurants here where I work is a Muslim place.  for a strict Muslim most places would be completely out since they would mix use of pans and utensils related to different dishes and wouldn't even be careful enough about ingredients.

Hi Train Lover
We got 2 warnings about off topic as it's about buying vegetables, beans and rice.
So we should not be talking about restaurants, Muslims as it's off topic. Perhaps start a new thread on this subject.
Take care and enjoy choo choo hehe

Just to let you all now that if the thread continues to go off topic admin are likely to close it.
You are are than welcome to open a new thread on what ever topic you wish.

Thanks.

yup, i think we have digressed from the topic at hand. Thanks Rejoice again for your informative posts. I will bookmark it for my reference.