Wish to come live permanently in PP- buy a bar or any suggestions?

Hi all, my name is Gary from Brisbane, Australia and am thinking of coming to live permanently in Phnom Penh in 18 months, maybe buy a cheap bar or similar. Any suggestions?

Hello Gary and welcome on board :)

Please note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Phnom Penh forum to help you get more visibility and thus interactions.

I suggest you to browse through the forum by ''Forum Categories'' found on the right hand side of your screen to gather some infos.

The sections such as 'formalities' and 'everyday life' will provide a lot of helpful infos :top:

Regards
Kenjee

Another alternative is go to Facebook and search for Phnom Penh & Expat Forum then post your thoughts.
People there respond you ASAP,
I'm an expat in PP. Welcome on board.

There are hundreds of bars and restaurants in PP, if you are looking at owning a bar as a hobby and are not worried about making money then go for it. If you're goal is to make money, then you will need to think outside the box, find a niche that isn't currently available and that the expat & local population want/need, in an area that is not already flooded with bars & restaurants.

Many people come here, open bars/restaurants thinking that it will be an easy way to make money, and inevitably end up failing and have to sell their business within a year or 2. You will need to have enough savings to cover your expenses for at least 2 years, because in reality it will probably take that long to break even on your initial investment and operating costs.

I would not suggest opening a bar, however if that is the path you want to take, then I would suggest looking at opening one in the Toul Tom Poung/Russian Market neighborhood as there is a large expat community and plenty of tourists who come to visit the market, but there are no 'pubs'. Simple pub grub style menu, pool table, nothing too extravagant.

Hi Brissieguy ,
   I was reading your email , in Phnompenh have many bar for sale , , when you coming here you will see , i am from Viet nam have been here and open   bar restaurant  and , guest house so you do not worry , you will have good business here , and have good living here after retired , any things need help i will helping you ,
                 Hun Vy