Where do you buy........

It strikes me there isn't a money saving thread on any of the forums, so I thought I'd start one here.

Where do you go for your bargains, these super cheap electronics, new tyres, sharp looking suits, whatever?

Do you know of a place that sells almost impossible to get items?

I discovered Jakarta notebooks, an interesting electronic toy company.
I should note - I don't make anything from these people, I'm just a happy customer.

https://www.jakartanotebook.com/

Check out their prices - you'll save a fortune.

I bought a micro computer, a DVR for the car, and a mass of Gopro accessories - all at crazy cheap prices.

What about you, where do you shop?

glodokelectronics,net if not mistaken... made some good deals, on freezer and tv, free delivering

i am plucking at straws here but i want to buy some survey equipment from indonesia and have ben told i would have to pay 25% tax plus i need special permits to take it out of the country if i buy the item in indonesia.
it is significantly cheaper to buy on line but they want me to pay by bank transfer as they do not accept paypal.
and having been caught out in this respect previously elsewhere i do not want to pay upfront.
do you have any knowledge of proceedings there

I would say if they don't take paypal, only bank transfer it should raise a red flag, if online, does the
store have a storefront ? does it excist ?

they say they are at  a shopping centre  and yes this lack of paypal is a worry . but i am told if i go sand purchase in the country i will have to pay 25% tax and sort out visas or something to take the items out of the country . i want to find out if this is true and if anything can be done to reduce the burden of import duty and VAT  back into this country

i bought electronic stuff mostly in glodok, because it's more cheap than the others place

if i go to buy clothes, shirt and others, i prefer go to "ITC mangga dua", the price is much cheaper for me  :top:

Jakarta Notebook has great variety and prices. However, it has one of the worst customer service I have encountered in Jakarta.
I have a good mind, to go there physically to alert any of the manager/owner of their shoddy system. Phone and Email just doesnt work.
But to date.... I havent been bothered.
So as a caveat to customers of Jakarta Notebook. If you are not satisfied in any of the service, dont hold your breath for too long.

I can offer some insights in a new thread later on. On where to buy and what to buy. There are so many things to list. I agree there should be a Buying Guide on a general direction. It took years of experience locally. And changes over time...

In fact, my hobby and expertise is buying... I could act as a consultancy firm if that is even possible... haha...

With how many websites has a list of restaurants, dentist, hospitals on ratings, pictures and information neatly categoried. 
Such as Openrice Indonesia for searching on restaurants locally. Tripadvisor for sightseeing.

I am impressed with how technology helps in making life simpler and knowlege more broadly informed.

So as a caveat to customers of Jakarta Notebook. If you are not satisfied in any of the service, dont hold your breath for too long.

Welcome to Indonesia.
I can't argue as to the validity or otherwise as far as that company is concerned because I've never had a problem with them, but the assertion is a truth for many business dealings in this country.
It should be noted by new expats from western countries, the laws and rules you're commonly used to simply aren't bothered with here, especially in smaller businesses.
Even in larger businesses, guarantees are commonly a week or a month from store, then any problems are direct to manufacturer.

Hey Fred, I finally took a look at Jakarta Notebook and you're right…their prices are excellent, and even for us here in Bali, with courier shipping via either Tiki or Jne, they seemly can't be beat!  An excellent tip there amigo!  :top:

Someone wrote earlier, “I would say if they don't take paypal, only bank transfer it should raise a red flag, if online…”

It's my experience that a lot of banks (most in fact) in Indonesia will not allow the tie in bank account access that is required by PayPal.  Our own PP account is with an offshore bank, as we couldn't get a PP account any other way.

Normally when we are shopping in Jakarta from home here in Bali we use a simple inter bank transfer, which is cheaper than PayPal, and from our point of view, just as secure.