WITH MY SALARY OF 900 OR HOW MUCH CAN I SAVE?

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

I am Naveed from India and have got selected as lecturer in the ministry of manpower Oman for one of their technical colleges. My salary is going to be somewhere 900 OR. I have my wife accompanying with me but only after 2 or 3 months after i reach there.
I want to know, with 900 OR as my salary how much can i save as my lifestyle is very average and i dont spend for restaurants and entertainment. My sole purpose to join would be to save.
Please help me in this regard.

How much can i save?

You are doing a great job sir.

Thanks and Regards

Hi naveed84,

Where exactly would you be placed ? That would matter to a certain extent on how much more you can possibly save.

Also, does the institution provide you with accommodation facilities or would it be on you ?

For a couple, you should be able to save upwards of 50% of your monthly income after accounting for your accommodation and living expenses.

It would be significantly more if your place of posting is going to be in any interior place. You can grin and bear it, if saving money is your sole objective.

Please read the cost of living topic in the forum for specific details of what you could expect as expenses.

Hi
I am sudhir, just shifted to Muscat from India.
I need admission in nursery scool for my 3 years old daughter.
can anybody suggest the best option

Thank you for your kind reply sumitran sir,

I have to bear accommodation and transportation expenses. I will be placed in any one of the technical college under ministry in these places: Muscat, Al musanna, Ibra, Ibri, Nizwa, Salalah and Shinas.
If they give me the choice which place should i choose in terms of good savings and a decent life style. But still my sole objective is to save as much money as i can because i have planned to stay only for 2 years not more than that.

Thanks and Regards

naveed84 wrote:

Thank you for your kind reply sumitran sir,

I have to bear accommodation and transportation expenses. I will be placed in any one of the technical college under ministry in these places: Muscat, Al musanna, Ibra, Ibri, Nizwa, Salalah and Shinas.
If they give me the choice which place should i choose in terms of good savings and a decent life style. But still my sole objective is to save as much money as i can because i have planned to stay only for 2 years not more than that.

Thanks and Regards

Hi naveed84,

Please note that 'good savings' and a 'decent lifestyle' do not always go hand-in-hand.

If you opt for any place outside of Muscat, your savings potential would increase, but the quality of life would decrease. It is a choice which you have to make.

From the list which you have provided, Muscat, Salalah and Nizwa would be the most costly, while Ibra, Ibri and Mussannah would be the lest expensive places to live in.

Financially you will gain in the last 3 places, but socially you would not.

sudhirbyna wrote:

Hi
I am sudhir, just shifted to Muscat from India.
I need admission in nursery scool for my 3 years old daughter.
can anybody suggest the best option

Hi sudhirbyna,

The first thing which you must do is to visit the Indian Schools website and register your child there. Admissions for this academic year is of course closed. But you can still try. On line registration is mandatory nevertheless.

The second option would be to look for some private nursery school, in and around the place of your residence. Getting admissions there would not be an issue.

However you would have to seek admissions in any of the Indian / International schools when your child is read for Class 1 onwards.

Thank you very much sir for your suggestion.

Regards
B Sudhir

Hello Sumitran,

Even I got an offer from a company in Al Rusayl with a salary of 900 Oman rials and i have to bear the accommodation,food and travel.I got offer as system administrator on the ERP background. I am planning to move initially and my wife and 2 year child will arrive after 2 or 3 months. If I take near Al Rusayl or in that location, Can I able to save half of my budget?

Could you please let me know the details? What will be my saving out of this 900 OR after deducting from house rent,food,electricity,water,mobile and internet bills?

Regards
Vinod

tiruttani.vinodh wrote:

Hello Sumitran,

Even I got an offer from a company in Al Rusayl with a salary of 900 Oman rials and i have to bear the accommodation,food and travel.I got offer as system administrator on the ERP background. I am planning to move initially and my wife and 2 year child will arrive after 2 or 3 months. If I take near Al Rusayl or in that location, Can I able to save half of my budget?

Could you please let me know the details? What will be my saving out of this 900 OR after deducting from house rent,food,electricity,water,mobile and internet bills?

Regards
Vinod

Hi tiruttani.vinodh,

Flat rents in and around the Rusayl area would be lesser than downtown Muscat for sure.

Details of the cost of living has been already discussed at great length in the forum.

Please visit the relevant topics and help yourself to the wealth of information available there.

Suffice to say you should be able to put aside about 50% of your income as monthly savings.

Hello Sumitran,

Thank you for the prompt response.

One more thing I would like to ask you is that, after arriving to Muscat, Do I need to surrender my passport to the company? Bcuz If i need to visit India in any emergency or normal, how can i get the passport?

Regards
Vinod

tiruttani.vinodh wrote:

Hello Sumitran,

Thank you for the prompt response.

One more thing I would like to ask you is that, after arriving to Muscat, Do I need to surrender my passport to the company? Bcuz If i need to visit India in any emergency or normal, how can i get the passport?

Regards
Vinod

Hi tiruttani.vinodh,

Though illegal, most companies retain their employees passports - under the guise of 'safekeeping'. This is primarily done to 'imprison' the employee from absconding. There are of course some companies that do not do so. But they are few and far between.

In case you have to travel outside of Oman, you must 'request' for your passport to be handed over to you. But then your company would know all about your travel. So there is no question of your leaving the company / country without your employer knowing about it prior.

Dear Sumitran ,
                          I got job in Shinas College of technology , as a lecturer with total salary of 900 OR ( Including all ).I have my wife accompanying with me but only after 2 or 3 months after i complete my probationary period. which place is good for staying near that college & i need to know any other ways to pay 6 moths rent insted of yearly payment. i wish to stay in single for the first 3 months & there after i will go for  family accommodation please advise thanking you

umar sabapathy wrote:

Dear Sumitran ,
                          I got job in Shinas College of technology , as a lecturer with total salary of 900 OR ( Including all ).I have my wife accompanying with me but only after 2 or 3 months after i complete my probationary period. which place is good for staying near that college & i need to know any other ways to pay 6 moths rent insted of yearly payment. i wish to stay in single for the first 3 months & there after i will go for  family accommodation please advise thanking you

Hi umar sabapathy,

Shinas is some 4 hours drive from Muscat. It is small town, but with a lot of Indian expatriates, pretty much like everywhere else in Oman !

It would make sense for you to stay at some place which is in close proximity to your college. At least till such time you manage to get your driving licence transportation would be an issue. Just for your information, it is still very, very hot (and we are in September !!). House rents would be very affordable.

You do not have to pay your house rent in advance. You could give the landlord post-paid cheques which can be encashed by him / her every month.

Hello Sumitran,

My company is in AL Rusayl area. Any nearby place where Indians expats  are residing more . we can submit salary bank account cheques?
Also, I seen that from past 3 days in Oman ,heavy rains are falling.But still it is very hot?when the winter begins?

Regards
Vinod

tiruttani.vinodh wrote:

Hello Sumitran,

My company is in AL Rusayl area. Any nearby place where Indians expats  are residing more . we can submit salary bank account cheques?
Also, I seen that from past 3 days in Oman ,heavy rains are falling.But still it is very hot?when the winter begins?

Regards
Vinod

Hi tiruttani.vinodh,

There are many expatriates living around the Rusayl industrial Area, though it is predominantly an Omani neighbourhood. Near by residential areas are Al Khoud, Al Hail and Seeb Town.

Your second query is not clear.

The weekend before last we got some unexpected downpour, following a dust storm. No, it does not rain here regularly. And yes, it is still very hot, though it should start subsiding. Hopefully by the end of this month it should cool down. 'Winter' will stay on until late February.

thanks Mr. Sumitran , you advise will be very help full for me . lots of thanks

Dear Sumitran,
                      first at first thanks for your previous guidelines now i want to know
1.can i stay in shinas itself ( can i find accommodation there ) , or somewhere else .
2. is there taxi available in monthly contract ( to pick up & drop on time)
3. What is the expected cost for taxi on monthly contract approximately

Hi umar sabapathy,

Responses against your queries below :

1.can i stay in shinas itself ( can i find accommodation there ) , or somewhere else . - If you are going to be working there, you would have to be staying there only ! Of course you can find accommodation.

2. is there taxi available in monthly contract ( to pick up & drop on time) - There should be.

3. What is the expected cost for taxi on monthly contract approximately - Would depend on the distance, number of times to be picked up and dropped in a day, etc.

Hello Sumitran,

I have a question, can I resign to my job at any point of time in Oman by provind providing the notice period.
I know that once I resigned I will be banned from Oman for some years. But please clarify whether we can resign at any time to the job?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Vinod

tiruttani.vinodh wrote:

Hello Sumitran,

I have a question, can I resign to my job at any point of time in Oman by provind providing the notice period.
I know that once I resigned I will be banned from Oman for some years. But please clarify whether we can resign at any time to the job?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Vinod

Hi tiruttani.vinodh,

Indeed yes. Any employee can submit his / her resignation to the employer at any time. After all, we are all not bonded labourers here !!

As long as the employee serves the agreed notice period, one is free to resign and leave the company, and in our case, leave the country.

Hello Sumitran,

Thanks alot for your quick response.

I subimtted by resignation and General Manager accepted that after listening to my explanation.

Now they are telling that i need to pay some amount for Visa charges,air fare which they booked from india to muscat, some visa deposit charges and some medical charges and miscellaneous charges.

Is it really true that i needed to pay these amount to the company? Is this rule existed in the Oman Labour Law?

Please clear my confusion on this, so that I can talk to my management .

Regards
Vinod

Hi tiruttani.vinodh,

The company has invested some amount in bring you over, in the hope that you would serve them at least until they are able to recover their investments made.

If you call it quits before that, it is normal for the employer to expect to be compensated for their investments made. I am not sure what is the take on this issue with regards to the labour laws though.

Try not to leave on a sour note with your employer, and try to settle the issue amicably in your own interest.

hello sumitran,

My office is located in Way 3036, shatti al qurum,.,.,where i can find a house or even just a room so that i can save money. thank you

nhoj wrote:

hello sumitran,

My office is located in Way 3036, shatti al qurum,.,.,where i can find a house or even just a room so that i can save money. thank you

Hi nhoj,

The address you have mentioned is one of the best addresses in the entire Muscat city. Needless to say house rents here would be prohibitively expensive. You cannot even think of finding any 1BHK apartment there since most houses in and around this area are only huge independent villas, with towering compound walls !

You should ideally look for a place to stay in and around the Qurum Garden area, where there are already a lot of Filipinos staying. You can easily find a room / sharing accommodation. At affordable prices. Take shared taxi / coaster, to office and back.