I wanna be fluent in English!!

Hello everybody
I wanted to know how could anyone become fluent in english as it's my struggle to speak english without hesitating or pausing
I have been studying english for 16 yrs in my life and I'm very good at most of the vocabulary and grammar but I'm not actually good at introducing myself  in English

You need a lot of time with a native speaker.

Hi learning English is pretty easy, I am a native English speaker an have helped people Learn  to speak , read and write English, it will sound a little crazy but also try to watch TV programs in English , communicate on a daily basis with a native English speaker , write down on paper new words that you don't know
not in sentences just single words
Write the meaning in Arabic  but the word in English , this will help you a lot ,
If I was in Egypt I would help you for free , it's a voluntary thing I enjoy doing , you can also send a message here to me an ill help you , best of luck to you
😊
Michelle

Speak as much as you can :)

Michelleavanzato wrote:

it will sound a little crazy but also try to watch TV programs in English

Not even slightly crazy - but stick to high quality TV such as Nat Geo and the like.

The quality of English on those channels is generally very good, and there is a notable lack of bad language - something Spongebob can't claim.
One of the problems you'll find from watching low quality TV is you'll pick up bad habits.
"Suck" is my favourite one to hate. Used in so many TV shows, but most intelligent people (and me :D) generally consider this a word to be used only by low life peasants with no manners (Except when referring to a mint or a milk shake).

Oh thank you so mich Michelle anf yeah i would like you to help me with my language :)

The problem id that none of here actually speaks English fluently so who would i practise with

Yeah I've been watching the vampire diaries for about 4 months yet i still struggle to make up a sentence and say it fluently

Tina.crazy wrote:

Yeah I've been watching the vampire diaries for about 4 months yet i still struggle to make up a sentence and say it fluently

You need coaching properly.
Listening practice is very useful, but you need someone to coach you in the basics.

Get your phone and record yourself.

Start with a basic introduction - about 30 seconds is enough
Include your name, age and a details such as hobbies

Then say:

Think of the truth (2 times)
The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain (2 times)
She sells sea shells on the sea shore (2 times)

Try to consider each word, then pronounce them slowly and carefully.

Upload it to youtube and PM me a link.

That should be enough to assess where you're going wrong.

Talk, talk, talk.

Even if it's talking to your TV while translating aloud from your native language audio.  That is probably how I have learned the most Spanish here in Ecuador, even more than talking to native speakers, because the TV translation opportunity is so available and covers so many topics.

I agree with Fred, don't take any English lessons from SpongeBob.  He's so dumb he lives in a pineapple under the sea.  Talk about "underwater" real estate!

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Make a friend that is fluent in english, and ask as many questions as you want to him/her, there is not stupid questions.
And talk a lot, ask for vocabulary, idiomatic sentences.
Thats how i've learn english so far.
Back when i was in cyprus, my flatmates were from London, and we shared the same interests, so they helped me a lot, and even if I might have bothered them with my thousands of questions, i definitely improve my english speaking skills.

You are most welcome to speak with me :)

Tina.crazy wrote:

The problem is that none of here actually speaks English fluently so who would i practise with

Dear Crazy Tina,

Get Skype and start with the offer from Sacha.

Reach out to native speakers on this thread via PM and ask for their Skype contact information.  Despite his disdain for lowlife peasants who use the word s¨¨¨, Fred is a good guy who might spare some time now and then to Skype a bit.

cccmedia in Ecuador

poor Fred! He never mentioned that he wanted to skype with Crazy...
He has no spare time as he is baby sitting most of the nights.

mal wrote:

A multi-tasker like Fred!  Are you kidding me, Mal?

He can Skype with Crazy while the babe is sitting on his lap.

The baby can learn language skills too. :D

cccmedia in Ecuador

mal wrote:

Ner.. I'd be a lousy teacher. Besides, the lass would end up speaking with a Yorkshire accent.

That and my wife would be less than happy at me skyping with another lady.

Fred wrote:

the lass would end up speaking with a Yorkshire accent.

Oh, puh-leeze.  That would be a major bonus. ;)

cccmedia wrote:
Fred wrote:

the lass would end up speaking with a Yorkshire accent.

Oh, puh-leeze.  That would be a major bonus. ;)

nobdy wud eva geta word shi wo gooin on abart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis

In an attempt to maintain harmony with the wife, Fred has obviously decided to avoid Skyping with Crazy, meanwhile trying to persuade us that his English has regressed since Report #10...

"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain."

We know what you're "gooin on abart," Professor Higgins, but we don't buy it.

cccmedia in Ecuador

I've never passed a street seller off as anything at a posh party, nor do I make notes in the street, thus get mistaken for a peeler, but I do take photos quite a lot.
Back in the old country, I was rather keen on learning Mandarin, got to know a lot of Chinese people, and got to know the oddities within the language as spoken by people from different areas.
I got quite good at it, a sort of party trick.
However, whilst I was genuinely interested in the language, I have to admit I used it to get to know ladies.
I used to be a very naughty boy.

To English, and how you should look at it.
People see learning a language as work, a task, so will never get to be any good at it.
This genius, Sir Stephen Fry (He should get a knighthood for services to the English tongue and being very funny) tells you where many go wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Enjoy

A brilliant parry and remarkable link, Fred. :top:

Many will profit from your and Sir Stephen's commentaries, perhaps including 'Our Fair Lady' in Cairo.

Try this one too....

One-one was a race horse.
Two-two was one too.
One-one won one race.
Two-two won one too.

You have 2 wach english tv
Movies,news ,sports geographic all types in english

Well I have offered to help , I am a native English  Speaker born and raised in the United States , also I worked in a K- 8 th grade school,

When you kiss your honey,
and your nose is kinda runny,
you may think it's very funny,
but really it's snot!

Ah, 2 classic errors.
One gentleman is assuming any tongue twister will do, when they have to target given sounds.

The other assumes Americans speak English. :D

I may be a minority of one on this thread, but I suspect that anybody who wants to speak English both well and fluently must also learn to read and write it well and fluently. I suggest it might be difficult - maybe impossible - for somebody who writes "I wanna be fluent in English" to succeed.

Am I being unnecessarily pedantic? (Hmm. Probably!)

Gordon Barlow wrote:

I may be a minority of one on this thread, but I suspect that anybody who wants to speak English both well and fluently must also learn to read and write it well and fluently. I suggest it might be difficult - maybe impossible - for somebody who writes "I wanna be fluent in English" to succeed.

Am I being unnecessarily pedantic? (Hmm. Probably!)

Yes.
Many people assume the skills required to speak a language are the same as those required to read and write in it.
This is clearly wrong.
There is a level of crossover, vocabulary comes to mind, but grammar is far less important to the spoken form.
There are no commas and full stops, and who really cares if you're sat on a chair or sitting on it?
Of course one is crap grammar, but only an up their own arse English teacher would care.

Fred wrote:

...only an up their own arse English teacher would care.

And I'm not even an English teacher!

I din meana stop ve convasation, like, I dunno, if we doh wanna right proper gramma or spelin well ass awright i spose, go fa ya life eh? watcha gonna do?

I think I owe a lot of my speaking prowess to Axl Rose...

Yes.. Him and a whole bunch of 80's and early 90's Rock n Rollers.. Well, because I used to heavily dig the lyrics!
Well, that.. And Sesame Street!

But even earlier than that, I used to read a LOT.. As a kid, I was a voracious reader.. I mean, if I couldn't find anything else, I would just pick up the tooth paste and start reading the ingredients.. Yes, thats how much..

And taking definitely helps a lot.. And try to think in the language you want to learn.. I dont know if its making sense... but that really worked for me!

Good luck!
Z

Most Anericans do speak English ! And some of us Tutor English for Free

Michelleavanzato wrote:

Most Anericans do speak English ! And some of us Tutor English for Free

If you count all Americans (from North and South America), more speak Spanish than English!

El_Jost wrote:

When you kiss your honey,
and your nose is kinda runny,
you may think it's very funny,
but really it's snot!

:lol::lol::lol:

hi guys I am a native British. Feel free to converse with me as much as you like  :D

Pari1 wrote:

hi guys I am a native British. Feel free to converse with me as much as you like  :D

Spiffing to meet you.

The OP ran away, so we didn't manage to help her, but welcome to the thread, soon to be closed as pointless, or lost into the sands of time as no one posts anything else on it.

Are you from God's own Yorkshire, or some unimportant bit of Britain?

I wonder how important it is to learn English idioms. A fried of ours lives in our memories (my wife's and mine) for her original expression, "it's six of one and a dozen of the other".

I'm sure there must be plenty of other similar mistakes out there!

Idioms are imdespencible, almost as impotant as spelling

Meet other expats and join the events

OR