Marriage maltese citizen

Hi me and my girlfriend planning to marry in malta. I am a non eu citizen she is malta citizen. I got couple of questions really important hope you can answer them.

1-How long time does it takes to get married and get residency and work permit? Are there any requirements to get married for us?

2- For how many years work permit will be provided  after marriage? I mean in many countries they give you one year residency after  one year they give you 5 years of residency etc..

3-I heard something like getting divorced only possible after 4 years. Just wondering is this real?

Thank you very much and have a nice day,

hendrix886 wrote:

3-I heard something like getting divorced only possible after 4 years. Just wondering is this real?

planning on divorce already ?

Malta has a no-fault divorce, with the marriage being dissolved through a Court judgement following the request of one of the parties, provided the couple has lived apart for at least four years out of the previous five, so would only be available after 4 years if you never lived together after getting married

be sure you can prove a durable relationship of at least two years.....

georgeingozo wrote:
hendrix886 wrote:

planning on divorce already ?

Malta has a no-fault divorce, with the marriage being dissolved through a Court judgement following the request of one of the parties, provided the couple has lived apart for at least four years out of the previous five, so would only be available after 4 years if you never lived together after getting married

and they say romance is dead lol:)

maybe this is the exit strategy if if doesnt work out Rob

thank you all. Of course i got to learn moving to a new country its laws. one thing still not clear is after marriage i am gonna get residency for how long? 1 year or 5 years?

thanks toon what do you mean by that. We have been together more than 6 months we have to wait 1.5 years to get married? is that what you saying? (moderated)

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : unnecessary bad language

im here to get some information? if anyone not capable of helping please keep the forum clean

hendrix886 wrote:

thank you all. Of course i got to learn moving to a new country its laws. one thing still not clear is after marriage i am gonna get residency for how long? 1 year or 5 years?

depends on your realationship duration
https://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Info … 014%29.pdf
in the case that the relationship has been subsisting  for two years, a residence permit valid for one year is granted. if documentary evidence is produced showing that the couple have been living together in such a realtionship for 5 years preceeding the application in question ,  a residence permit  for 3 years is issued to the third country national.  requests for a residence permit by a third country national whose relationship is below the two year period mentioned above are considered on the merits of the case. if the request is acceded to, a temporary permit for a period determined by the director is granted to the foreign national concerned

hendrix886 wrote:

im here to get some information? if anyone not capable of helping please keep the forum clean

Talking about keeping the forum clean, perhaps you could avoid the sort of language you used in your previous post! (No7)

ditto foxglove - post reported

hendrix886 wrote:

thanks toon what do you mean by that. We have been together more than 6 months we have to wait 1.5 years to get married? is that what you saying? malta is already a headfuck! :))

it will likely be down to the discretion of the immigration director on duty at the time - and usually they will require evidence of a durable relationship of more than 2 years  - i dont make the rules, nor do i apply them  - but they do and its on record in many of malta administrative processes within depts that rules etc sometimes get fouled up in transition or translation and can often be one thing one minute and another thing the next.. dependng on who you see and whether they have had a good day or not.