New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Moving to PR.  Can live anywhere within 1 Hr to San Juan airport.  Want beachfront or close access (need the fresh air!)      What are the top three areas, with nightlife for married couples, great restaurants, COSTCO and most importantly, safe walking around. 

Suggestions appreciated!

bmkoz

Welcome! Look through the forum - there is a current post asking basically the same thing that you should find very helpful!

Hello, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. We (husband, 14 y/o daughter, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 horse) live in Mayagüez. I am German, my husband Puertorican.
I love animals and I adopted some from the streets.   :top:

Marion-Olga wrote:

Hello, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. We (husband, 14 y/o daughter, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 horse) live in Mayagüez. I am German, my husband Puertorican.
I love animals and I adopted some from the streets.   :top:

You should be proud, there are a lot of animals that need rescuing.
Welcome to the Forum, you and your family.

Welcome to the forum and to the island!!!!

Welcome to the island, Marion-Olga! My grown daughter moved here with me 6 months ago, and we have settled in Rincon. We travel to Mayaguez frequently. We are also animal lovers, and brought our 3 dogs with us. I'm sure it won't be long before a couple of stray cats find their way into our hearts and home!

My dogs are full grown but so small that a stray cat may eat them. A kitten may be good for me.

lol! two of ours a small too, but they don't think so! Some of the strays on tone island are probably tough enough to eat a German shepherd!

Thank you!  :) 
I I adopted one cat from Villa Michelle and picked up 2 from the streets when they were real tiny. I lost 3 cats since I am here, one got killed by a car and two disappeared.
I sure some kitties will find you!   ;)

Great to see fellow animal lovers! I believe since we, as human beings, domesticated, and made them dependent on us, we have the duty to care for them... mine are all Spayed & Neutered. We have four well behaved, sweet, loving dogs.

That is great to hear since the major problem is that the people don't spay and neuter. I just don't understand why not?

Marion-Olga wrote:

That is great to hear since the major problem is that the people don't spay and neuter. I just don't understand why not?

Probably a male thing, most of us cringe at the though of getting fixed. We have no issue with the wife getting fixed but US NOOOOO.
Mines are all fixed also.

but the females don't get fixed also!  :blink:

I agree Mac, that we have that responsibility. I think for some it may be a cost issue. someone can afford to take an animal in, and provide food, but can't afford the vet bills. Free /low cost spay and neuter, and free rabies clinic's helped alot in my town in the states.

it's not a "male" thing, it's a macho thing... watch the documentary; "100000" on Youtube, or directly on the makers' website; 100000movie.com

Our target date for retirement is October 2017. We are making a scouting trip in April 2016. Will rent a car and spend 8 days driving around island (counter clockwise). The goal is to identify an area we like. Then in 2017 move and rent for 3-6 months before we buy.

I wanted to retire to Belize, the wife wanted Michigan so this is our compromise. I am a long time SCUBA diver and have lived in the Bahamas, Caymans, Grenada and the Florida Keys. In the past few years we have made multiple trips to Mexico and Costa Rica.

have a few questions about income, taxes, import fees. Also open to any suggestions or input. I look forward to learning more about PR.

I will say for most of the population in the island is cost. Not that I agree with not taking care of your animals but when you live in a low income situation you got to make choices.

It is really cheap to get a dog or cat operated her. I found a Vet in Myz. who did my cats for 20 $.

Marion-Olga wrote:

It is really cheap to get a dog or cat operated her. I found a Vet in Myz. who did my cats for 20 $.

I payed $175 at my vet 8 years ago

Sorry but if you don't have the money to take care of an animal, don't get one!
They end up with puppies and than they kill them or just throw them on the street.
That's what they do here every day a 1000 times. 😭😭😭😭

But they are males, females are around 35$.

Welcome, Alaskamusher!  Any specific questions, please feel free to post and these wonderful people will help you out ;)

my name is helen my husband is charlie he recently went on vacation to puerto rico and fell in love with the people and atmosphere there so when he came home he asked me to consider moving there. we have decided together that we are going to make the move and are looking to relocate to the luquillo area we would like anyone who has relocated from the us to give us any info we may need so we can prepare for the move and are not blindsided by something we dont know when we get there like utilities where to look for jobs housing vehicles etc.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529766

Thanks!

Closed