New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Well, I'm new to this, wasn't really sure what a blog was, but my friend Nanette recommended it.
She's moving to Rincon and that got me motivated. So, here I am just starting to process.

Dave Dead wrote:

Well, I'm new to this, wasn't really sure what a blog was, but my friend Nanette recommended it.
She's moving to Rincon and that got me motivated. So, here I am just starting to process.

This whole blog is about helping people learn about Puerto Rico, where to go, what to do, cost of living, communities, etc. Take a look at the older posts or search word words that mean something to you and if you do not find what you are looking for start a new subject, we will see it and respond to it.

Let us know what you are looking for and your time frame to move, we will try to orient our answers to you.

Welcome to the blog.
Rey

Welcome, Dave!

Welcome!! ;)

Welcome!

Hi All,

Although I have subscribed here for a while, I don't think I have introduced myself.

I do not live in PR as yet, my partner is Puerto Rican, and lives out there, so we sort of commute to see each other, every three months. One way or another, it is going to be the UK or PR for us to be together.

However, can I say, that when I am in PR its like my second home, love the Island and the people

Hi, Toddlfc, glad to see you posting and welcome!

Welcome!  :cool:

Hi My name is Zalika.  My husband Jake and I are moving from NYC to Puerto Rico on Sept 1.  We only decided to move there at the beginning of the month.  We are quitting our jobs, selling most of our stuff and seeing what happens.  We are planning on living in San Juan.  We made a few new friends on our last visit a few weeks back.  We are craft beer professionals and love that Puerto Rico has a growing craft beer scene. We don't have jobs or an apartment yet but we have lots of restaurant/bar experience so we figure we can probably get jobs during the busy season.  We are scared about all the things we have to do before we leave but we are excited about this adventure.

Welcome!  I hope you researched a bit regarding the job situation as I know it can be very difficult to find one.  Best of luck to you both.

Welcome zguillory!

As you may have read on other post here, the economy of the island is in a precarious situation. Finding jobs in the island is difficult at best. The metro in the area may be a little easier but will still be hard. But don't get discourage, it will be a great experience. I will suggest to do your homework, best of lucks and best wishes!!!!

:top:

zguillory wrote:

Hi My name is Zalika.  My husband Jake and I are moving from NYC to Puerto Rico on Sept 1.  We only decided to move there at the beginning of the month.  We are quitting our jobs, selling most of our stuff and seeing what happens.  We are planning on living in San Juan.  We made a few new friends on our last visit a few weeks back.  We are craft beer professionals and love that Puerto Rico has a growing craft beer scene. We don't have jobs or an apartment yet but we have lots of restaurant/bar experience so we figure we can probably get jobs during the busy season.  We are scared about all the things we have to do before we leave but we are excited about this adventure.

Talk with Mrkpytn, he has a farm in the Ponce area, maybe he can grow the HOPs and other stuff you may need to make the beer, maybe the 2 of you can get into business?

Look him up in some of these blog entries and talk to him.

Welcome to the island.

Great idea, Rey!

Schuttzie wrote:

Great idea, Rey!

I tend to put people together to form businesses. Different people have different skills and if they join their abilities a business can be formed.

Hello, hello. I just moved to Aguadilla. I arrived last week, and still settling into things. I'm staying at a hostel while I situation things with a rental house. Anything I should know about buying a car from a private party? It's pretty similar to the states, right? Get the title transferred at the DMV. Check the date on the registration sticker inside the window. No liability insurance is required, right? Does anyone recommend getting a policy anyway?

You should go with the seller to the DMV to make sure the car don't have any tickets. I just purchase a car there and did the transaction at DMV. Lots of cars in the island with hefty fines and unknown owners. Check here in the form for more information regarding purchase a vehicle from private sellers.

Hello,

Great forum with lots of great information.!

I was born and raised in Caguas, PR and moved to the US in 1992. I'm considering moving back to PR sometime within the next 2-5 years. I used to know the island pretty well but it's been 23 years since I lived there so looking forward to learning anything I can from you guys.

I'm married and we have a 6 y/o kid. Looking for a safe neighborhood to raise my kid. In or close to Caguas would be ideal. We'll most likely be counting with somewhere around $50K a year.

If anyone knows the neighborhood named "La Esmeralda" in Caguas, that's something like what I'm currently after.

Thank you.

JR

Welcome to the group Jr!!

Welcome, JR1r!  I'm sure much as changed since you were there.  A lot of topics have been discussed if you'd like to use the search feature.  Maybe someone here knows more about the Caguas area to help you out, too.  All the best to you. :)

Hi JR,
I have not been in Cagus in a long while, but like the rest of the island, it should be over run by Taco Bell and many other chain business. Outside of that and some new houses I guess it would be close to what you remember.

HI All,

I have recently moved here with my daughter from NY. We have been here since April of this year living in Cabo Rojo but are moving next week to Rincon. I am a retired chef (we had 2 restaurants in NY) but still love to cook and have taken up watercolor painting again;-) My daughter is also a chef but has found her passion in photography as well. We love the island but have found we need to be around other expats too to help get established in the community. We both love to be part of things and to bring our creative side to help better our area.

Any advice would be great, we are hoping to get involved with the Rincon Farmers Market, if anyone has any connections in that area that would be wonderful. We look forward to settling into our new place and becoming part of our new community and hopefully meeting some of you all!

vegchef wrote:

HI All,

I have recently moved here with my daughter from NY. We have been here since April of this year living in Cabo Rojo but are moving next week to Rincon. I am a retired chef (we had 2 restaurants in NY) but still love to cook and have taken up watercolor painting again;-) My daughter is also a chef but has found her passion in photography as well. We love the island but have found we need to be around other expats too to help get established in the community. We both love to be part of things and to bring our creative side to help better our area.

Any advice would be great, we are hoping to get involved with the Rincon Farmers Market, if anyone has any connections in that area that would be wonderful. We look forward to settling into our new place and becoming part of our new community and hopefully meeting some of you all!

I volunteer to taste your food and make sure nobody gets sick. Welcome to the island, I am heading there as soon as my house sells.

Stop by The Surfing Potato, in front of the Rincón post office, have lunch, and shoot the breeze. Being that loads of expats and locals stop by they know what's happening in town. They are Teri and Nathan. Say hello for me. Note, they are open M-W during the summer.

Welcome, vegchef!  We are looking to settle in the Rincon area, too.  I think GreggK on here used to have something to do with the farmer's market when he lived there so maybe he'll come along and give advice.

Hello!  I am new to the blog!  My husband and I are considering moving to Puerto Rico and are interested in learning about good areas to live in, cost of living, anything special we should take into consideration.  I work from home but he will be looking to open a food business so would like to be in a somewhat "busy" area but not sure that we want to be in as large of a city as San Juan.  We're thinking Dorado or Fajardo possibly??

We will be visiting in April, any thoughts on if we should meet with realtors to see what is available in some of the communities?  I think we would like to rent first before buying.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thanks Rey! Always need tasters for new ideas! Hurry up and sell that house before the snow flies!

Thanks for the info! We will stop in next week as soon as we're settled.

Thanks for the welcome. Keep us posted on your moving plans.

Hey all, I just found out that our house will have a gas range! As a chef, I'm in heaven, as I've been suffering with electric now. Any suggestions on a propane supplier? Do you usually get your own tanks, or are there companies that deliver? Also any idea on cost per gallon? Thanks!

There is usually a local company that will deliver, the cost is around $95 for the100# tank, the local company will deliver and set up your tanks. The small BBQ type tanks can be filled at a gas supplier. In Sabana Grande, there is a feed supply store that will exchange them for you, the cost is about the same as in the states. My recommendation is to ask your neighbors who they use, usually the same company supply an specific area.

Thanks, I think the local may be Puerto Rico Propane.

sboebaker wrote:

Hello!  I am new to the blog!  My husband and I are considering moving to Puerto Rico and are interested in learning about good areas to live in, cost of living, anything special we should take into consideration.  I work from home but he will be looking to open a food business so would like to be in a somewhat "busy" area but not sure that we want to be in as large of a city as San Juan.  We're thinking Dorado or Fajardo possibly??

We will be visiting in April, any thoughts on if we should meet with realtors to see what is available in some of the communities?  I think we would like to rent first before buying.
Thanks for any feedback!

Take a look at the subject about cost of living, it has a lot of information.
A good Realtor can answer a lot of questions about the area, I recommend Carlos Torres at (787) 527-3324, tell him Reinaldo Perez is sending you. He is very good and really goes out of his way to take you around to check out the area, the beaches, and properties you may like, tell him what you want and go into as much detail as possible with him. He will also show you properties listed with other realtors so he is more of a buyer realtor, something that is sometimes hard to find in PR. Highly recommended by me.

vegchef wrote:

Thanks Rey! Always need tasters for new ideas! Hurry up and sell that house before the snow flies!

I'll test your new and old ideas to make sure you have not lost your golden touch, LOL.

Nothing like Gas range to make your life easier, it also allows the use of a standard WOK instead of one of the flat buttom ones for an electric range.
Also good savings on electricity since Electric is very expensive in the island.

Also, gas stove will allow you to cook in case of electric failures (as hurricanes). Gas is more efficient than electric stoves in the islands.

Yup, the frequency of electric outrages has been kind of frustrating. In particular last week when I had 4 loaves of bread risen and ready to be baked, and shazam! no power for the next 12 hours. I'm not sure what's going on in Cabo Rojo right now, but 2 weeks ago we lost power 3 times in w week, each for 10 to 12 hours. That's more than I've ever encountered anywhere on the island. Do any of you have back-up generators? I don't rely on ac, and cabo rojo always has a great breeze. Not sure what to expect in Rincon.

When I build our new house in Sabana Grande, we added the connection to have a generator connected directly to the breaker box. During bad weather, not even hurricanes you may experience lost power. The power lines in most of the island are above ground (poles) and with the issues the island is having maintaining their infrastructure I am afraid power outrages are going to be more frequent. During the last major hurricane, my sister in law was without power for a week. We are planning to add the generator once we move permanently to the island. If you are thinking this route, I recommend a propane generator, it is easier and cheaper to have a propane tank in the house exclusively for the generator than store gas cans.

good tip. thanks.

Another option is solar power specially it it has battery backup for night time use. Unless you want to install a windmill in your property and have Don Quijote attack it.

For what I have read, battery systems are expensive and require more maintenance, Unless you are "off the grid" it is not recommendable as batteries have to be change out about every 5 years. I am looking at eh new Tesla battery for home use, it may be a good option, but most likely it will be a few years before it is affordable. There are several companies in the island offering solar power tied to the grid as back up or night use.

Closed