New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Wow 3rd quarter already....Where does the time go

Bob K

HOw did that happen???   Sheeeesh,  slow down please.....LOL

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services and sharing of external links not allowed on the forum

My name is Keven, and I just joined this site. Have visited Punta Cana the last three years on vacation and considering retirement in the DR in 2018.

HI Kevin welcome to the site!  Lots of great info on here,  read and read and read some more..... We are here when you have questions.

Kevin let me add my welcome.  Do read lots here and ask questions.  I think you will find that Punta Cana is not really a place for Expat retirement but rather for tourists to visit.

This is a large country and you should explore various areas to see what "works" for you

Again Welcome

Bob K

My name is Carmalee and I just joined the site. My husband and I are planning a move to DR in 2-3 years but first planning a few visits to decide on an area to live. We will need a place close to a school for our 2 younger children. I am a nurse and would like to volunteer at a local clinic if at all possible? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Camalee welcome to the forum.  There are some great folks here with lots of information to share.  Do read, read and then read some more on the various threads here and come back and ask questions.

You are going about it the correct way by making multiple visits to various areas.  When you do come to visit try to stay away from the AI resorts and rather rent a condo or villa so you can get a taste of what it is like to live here.  Being a tourist and living here are two vastly different animals.

There will be plenty  of opportunity for you to volunteer and there are some very good private schools around the country for your kids.

What made  you decide on the DR?

Good luck and we look forward to your questions.

Bob K

I will second that welcome.  Spend some time on the site reading the threads. Then either ask questions on those threads or start your own!   We look forward to being able to help you and to hear about your experiences as you step into your adventure.

Hello everbody

My husband and I are moving to the dominican in january 2016.
We want to move the area off Sosua and want to open a gym. My husband is a personal trainer en bodybuilder.
We now live in the Netherlands.

We went a couple off times to the DR and fall in love with this country.

It is nice to join this forum, so we can read a lot and maybe ask some questions.

Thanks

Greets Chantal

Chantal Welcome to the forum.  Lots of in formation here for the asking

We live here in the Sosua/Cabarete area for the last 9+ years.  Do know that there are at least a dozen gyms and yoga centers here in the area.  I am not sure how one more will do.  Also to legally work here you need your residency and cedula cards.  This process must be started in  your home country.

Pleas read all there is here on the forums and ask any questions you may have.

Good luck

Bob K

Hello Bob,

We have been looking at different countries for some time now and when we came home from this last trip to the DR we did a few cost comparisons and decided that DR fit what we are looking for and travel back to the States would not cost an arm and leg either. Looking for nothing luxurious but safe and near a school that I can at least walk the kids too. A short drive wouldn't be bad either. Husband would still work but his work has him traveling anyway so moving to DR wouldn't be a problem. Knowing that its a lengthy process to  be able to work in DR, I rather just volunteer my skills and time a few days a week than look for employment. My husband looked into Santo Domingo and Santiago  but a town has not been selected yet.  Thus the reason we are going to do multiple trips in the next 2 years to confirm a place that is to our liking. Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

Do come visit the north coast. There is a huge expat community as well as one of the best private schools.  It is the International school of sosua  here is the link   http://www.issosua.com/

If you are going to move here regardless of if you are going to work here you should get your Residency and Cedula and this does need to start in your home country.

Bob K

Hello!  :) Annie from the US (Indiana) and I am new here. Traveled to the DR last month and loved it and the people. Trying to make my way there spefically, if not any island/tropical/latin american country, sooner than later after graduating college next Spring! Just trying to get started and find my way

Welcome.

Read the post here thoroughly.  Lots of good information for you.  Fee free to ask questions.

Good luck

Bob K

Welcome to the forums,  lots of great info here. Read read read, then come ask us your questions....

Dear Rob

Thanks for the message, I will tell my husband.
This week we will visit the dominican consult in the netherland for some further information.

I will let you know when we have any questions.

greets chantal

Good luck at the consulate. 

Ask away!

Bob K

Hi everyone,

My name is Sylvie and I am planning to come to DR in November for 2 to 4 weeks.  I have gone several times to Punta Cana in some all inclusive resorts.  This time I am planning to rent a condo or a villa.  I would like to rent a place where there is some expats and locals.  It doesn't have to be in Punta Cana.  I am looking for a safe place as I will either be travelling by myself or with a female friend.  We would like a place that is fairly close to a beach and also if possible a place that is convenient to do your shopping for food.  I would like a 2 (or 3) bedroom place.  I would really appreciate having your suggestions on where would be a good place to go and if you have a contact name so I can make reservation.  My budget is flexible.

Sylvie what airport are you planning on flying into as this will make a difference on where to look.

You also might want to check Trip Advisor under what ever place you are going to (punta cana, Puerto Plata,Samana etc) and look under "vacation rentals"

Bob K

Hi Bob,

I can fly to all of the airports not an issue.  What would be your recommendation on location to stay with my criteria listed below.

Two suggestions both on the north coast.  Cabarete area would work for you nicely.  Google it and look at what is available.  Bob will have more info for you.

Other location I can suggest is  Costambar just west of Puerto Plata,  lots of expats, lots of rentals,  close to beach, lots of restaurants.  Not as expensive as Cabarete but  a totally different feeling to the place.

Oh yes I forgot,  welcome to the forums!!!!

My vote Cabarete.  It really has all you are looking for.  You would fly into Puerto Plata and it is about a 25 min cab ride from the airport.  Sosua which is right next door (airport is really in Sosua) and would be a fun place for a couple of day and evening trips.  We actually live between the two

Cabarete is loaded with beach side condo rentals.

Bob K

Thanks Bob for your input.  What about Samana and Las Terrenas?  In which town are you? Would you recommend for a single women or 2 to stay in a gated community or would we be safe not to do so?

We are between Sosua and Cabarete.

Most condos will come with security and you should do fine.

Bob K

Hi Bob and Planner (don't know your real name :)

I would like to know what you think about Las Terrenas, Samana, Las Galeras and La Romana?  Bob you s suggested that Cabarate would be best but what about these other places?  Again with my specifications listed above?  Planner, you live in La Romana, would this be a good place for me to stay.  I would really like to be around some expat and locals and a place near the beach and a place I can purchase food/water etc.  The most important it has to be a safe area.  Are Dominican man respectful of women etc.  Thanks.

Las Terrenas, Samana, Las Galeras are nice areas but some are a bit more touristy and las Terrenas (which I like) can be very "French"

Bob K

Las Terranas has a nice beach. But many other places have nice beaches. A few French owned restaurants on the water with nothing special food. But is there anything else it has that would make it special? Unless you are there during "on season" it's dead as a door knob.

Thanks Dreamtime (whatever your name is :)

Beautiful dogs by the way.  Myself and my friend would like a safe place and a place we can meet expat and locals.  Any suggestions.  Thanks.   Sylvie

Forgot to mention that I plan to travel in November for 2 to 4 weeks to start with.  If I like it, I will be back in the new year.

Any tourist or expat area can work for meeting those kinds of people.  But things can be dead if it's off season. I was told 7000 French people live in Las Terranas. I didn't see more than a handful in the five days I was there. Which was last summer around August I think. There were very few locals too. It's just a very small boring town :)  In fact, most cities outside of the big ones are boring and dead if you are looking for something to do that is outside of local Dominican life.

Better to try the larger tourist places. Planner and other local expats can advise better on which ones are worth checking out.

Like I said Cabarete/Sosua area is loaded with locals, Expats and tourists.  Yes less tourists in the off season but the expat and local community is pretty stable.

Bob K

La Romana is not overly touristy.  There are some expats but not that many. And the beach here is a local beach not a touristy style beach. Not what I would recommend for 2 single ladies.  I also would suggest Cabarete area.

Thanks Bob, Planner and Dreamtime for your reply.  Dreamtime, I noticed that you are in the area of Bonao.  Never heard of that place.  Where is it in DR.  How is it there?  I will start to look into Cabarete or Sosua for a condo or villa to rent.  Is Cabarete better than Sosua?  Does  any of you have a contact or could recommend a place to stay.  It would be really nice if we could be walking distance to a beach or better yet beach front property that is safe.  One of the reasons I want to live among some expat is to have their input about where things are and best place to find fresh food etc and also to socialize.

One other question, is the ocean in Cabarete is calm like in Punta Cana.  I am planning to do a lot of swimming in the ocean but I am not a strong swimmer so I am looking for a beach that the ocean is not rough (big waves).

That is an issue in Cabarete. It is the Atlantic Ocean.  Sosua has a much calmer bay for swimming.

Yes Sosua bay is usually almost flat and crystal clear water.   My favorite beach in the area

Bob K

I have been researching best places to retire for few years now. I subscribe to Live and Invest Overseas get some ideas on good places to retire and than do some research on each country that interests me. I've been going back and forth between these countries: Equador, Columbia, Panama, Malaysia, Thailand, Portugal, and now the Dominican Republic. I narrowed my search down to Medellin, Columbia and Penang, Malaysia. The drawbacks  to these two for me were Medellin taxed worldwide income and Penang was not dog friendly, the MM2H program has too many rules, and the highrise apartments are getting more and more expensive. The DR seems like a good fit.

Closed