Saudi cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Saudi Arabia?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Saudi Arabia and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Kabsa
Madgoot
Jareesh
Saleek
Sabeeb
Mandi
Madfoun
Haneeth

the list is endless so is the food.

So is the appetite :)

Fool is nice too with Nan bread

I like Kabsa and baryani :)

kabsa and basboosa.. :-)

Unfortunately Biriyani is not Arabic but its from India but I like it too.

My favorite KSA dish is kepseh:

http://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/mQQ9yBBR2yhYuUX4T1wo/dD-1000x600

I prefer chicken over meat with extra toasted almonds and pine nuts and for some extra sweetness raisins.

Just to die for

My recipe is famous in the family and I am very proud of it to master this recipe as a non Arabic.

HRGuru wrote:

Kabsa
Madgoot
Jareesh
Saleek
Sabeeb
Mandi
Madfoun
Haneeth

Mandi is not Saudi...it's Yemeni...

hamudi wrote:
HRGuru wrote:

Kabsa
Madgoot
Jareesh
Saleek
Sabeeb
Mandi
Madfoun
Haneeth

Mandi is not Saudi...it's Yemeni...

Since it was tasty, I did not ask its origins.  :dumbom:

HRGuru wrote:

Since it was tasty, I did not ask its origins.  :dumbom:

I would rather say, since it was tasty, it can't be Saudi !! 😜

fool and tamees is   the best here

Hi,

food call MASOOB , they eat morning and evening.

The Fuol is very good with tamiis for breakfast also shatshooka, apart from that it is mainly garbage, well unless you like chicken with rice one helluva lot.
Luckily there is plenty of Indian food around at great prices, tonnes of shawarma places and of course every modern fast food joint you can think of.

Tamees? Masoob?  :/

To know what it is it would be wonderful if you can share some pictures.  Just Google. ..

I noticed that most comments talked about dishes that were all about rice and forgot the other Saudi dishes. I myself thought the same in the beginning, that they only had those dishes because that's what was offered everywhere. But then I was lucky I met with the locals and become friends with some of them. I was offered other things that I couldn't find anywhere!. For instance, I was told that Jareesh which is a local Saudi dish, wasn't supposed to be served in restaurants because they couldn't master the dish the way the locals do since most of the cooks in restaurants aren't really Saudies. I tasted both Jareesh dishes, one served in a local restaurant, the other was given to me home cooked, and they were totally different, and it is true what I heard. Then there is another dish I liked a lot called Margoog and another which is Matazeez, I also liked Areeka. Those were some of the dishes I tried and am willing to try others too when possible lol. As for rice dishes, I come to know that Kabsah, Haneeth and Saleek are Saudi ones, not sure about the rest. Mandi and Masoob are from Yemen. Fuol is Egyptian, Tamis which is basically bread is not Saudi, because there is Saudi bread and I love it, made in a very different way I believe lol! Shawarma is Turkish. But last thing to say here, if you haven't tried other Saudi dishes, then you are missing a lot, not really willing to try different things or your definitely hanging with the wrong ones!.

I love when they use wholesome ingredients, amount of vegetables with whole wheat flour!

Shawrma and Saudi BBQ

how about fish and chips ;-)
where would I get that

Huntersbar wrote:

how about fish and chips ;-)
where would I get that

London :D

@Huntersbar : If you are in Jeddah Then try fish nuggets with chips of Al-Baik & Fish Resturents at Dhabaan Area which  are very famous here in jeddah. At Dhaban first you have to select the fish from the display then they will cook as per your demand.

Also, I fancy some Haggis and Hotchpotch. Where would I find that ;)

Yum yum!! 😋 I like it too. Perhaps you could write the recipe??

Huntersbar wrote:

Also, I fancy some Haggis and Hotchpotch. Where would I find that ;)

ok now that's just crossing the line :D:P

Fish n chips, I have seen in some malls by the name of 'London Fish'nChips' (i think), maybe some small franchise. Many seafood restaurants sell it too, may not taste the same but its there