Filipino cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in the Philippines?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of the Philippines and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

good idea, me too i am interested to know

My favorites are Humba made of pork meat with a taste of pineapple and salted black beans. If you see this, give it a try! Another favorite is Bicol Express which I saw made with pork and sometimes with tuna. It is cooked in coconut milk and should have lots of Chili. A less hot version is cooked with Baguio beans. There are many versions and I am actually thinking of visiting Bicol once to taste the original Bicol Express dish (I think its named after the famous train there).

Try adobo, menudo, sisig, lechon, Kilawin bangus or tanigue, papaitan, diningding...

I've lived in the Philippines for almost 7 years now. My favorite food here is Korean food, followed by Japanese and Thai if I could find a good Thai restaurant here that doesn't empty the pocket for a small portions. Filipino food! It is nothing more than a Spanish dishes with guts, fat and skins replacing the lean meat, which the Spaniels used to take fro themselves and give the Filipinos whatever left in the slaughter. Vegetables are over cooked, under appreciated and filled with fat and oils. I stay away from whatever it is called Filipino delicacy.

Sisig was created in the 50's... So that is not Spanish influence. Adobo, papaitan, diningding are also not Spanish.

Bicol express is good and I like it extra spicy! Also not Spanish.

Have you tried lechon?

I am American that lived in Cebu for 6+ years and found a few interesting foods.  Filipinos are never short of humor even on food. 
Here is a blog I wrote about cute food:
- timpotter-philippines.com/2013/01/cute-food-name-in-philippines.html

Then another about the obsession with salt:
- timpotter-philippines.com/2013/01/philippines-pass-salt-please.html

I have since left but still those should bring some enjoyment.

My favourite cuisine in the Philippines is from biro;, Bicol express and lying.

Favorites -- hmm, Adobo is a popular choice, though there are countless versions of it.  Lechon or roasted pork is also another fave, though stay away if you have high cholesterol or blood pressure. Sinigang is either pork or beef or shrimp in a tamarind broth with some veggies in it.

There are also a lot of dishes with a coconut curry base.

You can check the website in my profile and explore the different cuisines available in the Philippines. :)

i like philippino food if non added sugar and if not friad. and then depend who cook, because someone cook same food delicious and some no.

Regards to your comment,about Bicol Express.. There never been a express train to Bicol,At most it was 40km/hour. Anyway,it has not  been running for many years,Bicol Express is named so,due to the fact,if you eat it,you run like a express train,to the nearest CR.

hmmm..you must mean LAING not lying.  The dish mainly with leaves cooked in coconut curry. :)

afzalraza wrote:

My favourite cuisine in the Philippines is from biro;, Bicol express and lying.

you must mean LAING not lying...leaves cooked in coconut broth..soo yummy..i love it too!!!!

yes you are correct - my misspelling

afzalraza wrote:

yes you are correct - my misspelling

That's alright, we all make misspells, especially with foreign words :)

Jollibee, Chowking, Macdonalds, Wendys,  all seem very popular in the Philippines, almost always packed with hungry customers eating burgers or fried chicken with rice ;)

It is interesting to see that none of the expats have mentioned them though.

touristdriver wrote:

Sisig was created in the 50's... So that is not Spanish influence. Adobo, papaitan, diningding are also not Spanish.

Bicol express is good and I like it extra spicy! Also not Spanish.

Have you tried lechon?

The Spanish feel that Adobo does have a Spanish influence. 

(In Spain, pork, beef and chicken are often marinated in an adobo, a combination of spices and vinegar.
Spanish to English Translation of ADOBO = marinade, seasoning
)

and Sisig?  Well, that has changed over time from the original 1732 Spanish Sisig in the Philippines..

The first time that sisig was ever recorded in history was in 1732, in a Kapampangan dictionary compiled by an Augustinian friar, Diego Bergaño. (The Spanish missionary served as parish priest of Mexico, Pampanga in 1725-1731, where he most likely encountered the dish.)
Over the years, sisig evolved from being just a salad to being a main dish with chopped pig parts.
The modern day sisig was reinvented by Lucia “Aling Lucing” Cunanan, and established Angeles City as the “Sisig Capital of the Philippines”.

My partner is learning that many "Filipino" dishes have their roots from Mexico and Spain, eg:

Lechón is a pork dish in several regions of the world, most specifically Spain and its former colonial possessions

Sam40: Cannot imagine living in a place you seem to dislike so much.

I really like the Lumpia

I like gluten free food and food restaurants but I not know where from can find gluten free foods in Manila Makati area.

Sam40 wrote:

I've lived in the Philippines for almost 7 years now. My favorite food here is Korean food, followed by Japanese and Thai if I could find a good Thai restaurant here that doesn't empty the pocket for a small portions. Filipino food! It is nothing more than a Spanish dishes with guts, fat and skins replacing the lean meat, which the Spaniels used to take fro themselves and give the Filipinos whatever left in the slaughter. Vegetables are over cooked, under appreciated and filled with fat and oils. I stay away from whatever it is called Filipino delicacy.

May i ask where do you stay? A good Thai restaurant (it is in Marikina City) is The Thai Foon company. You can visit my website and look for their website link there. They have great Thai food and place is very price -friendly.

ABCDiamond, happy to tell you that practically all the dishes you mentioned are found in my website. Please feel free to check it out, thanks!