Estonian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Estonia?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Estonia and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

If you want to call it Estonian cuisine, you can call it that. A lot of national foods are very German influenced, and also Russian influenced. When we discuss "purely" Estonian cuisine, there are "variations" of certain foods that have influenced the history of this country.

What is your favorite food in Estonia?

Foods available in Estonia, that I truly enjoy - LihaPirukas (Meat pies) and Verevorst (blood sausage) during Christmas. Kama, Marzipan, and Kohupiimakreem are among my well liked.

What is the local speciality?

Dairy products- Estonia is kind of dairy products. (vahukoor - whipping cream), Hapukoor (sour cream), (Kohupiim - like a sweet curd), Kodujuust (cottage cheese), and a variety of other milk products. They know their milk, but too bad the same can't be said for Estonian Cheese.

Meats- PORK PORK and more PORK; Estonia has a fascination for everything pork. You name it, they have something made from pork. Beef is slowly gaining in popularity here, but is heavily influenced by American meat culture. It is currently a fad.

Kama - I don't know how to explain what it is.

Sult- Estonians historically use all the meat they make from an animal. They boil the bones and the meat scraps to make this "gelatin meat" (It's a VERY acquired taste) far from my favorite.

Fruits and veggies- Anything with berries from the forest and mushrooms. (currants, cloudberries, blueberries, cranberries, and a few local other types lincon berries, etc. ) They love their mushrooms, there are over 20 varieties of edible mushrooms in the fall from Estonia. They make all kinds of stuff from this. Rhubarb is popular.

Kali - Liquid black bread- summer drink of choice

Leib - Black bread.

Herbs- Dill, Dill, and lots of dill - I think dill is a national dish. :D

Potatoes, Onions, and Garlic - Estonia has the strongest garlic I have ever tasted. Potatoes and Onions, that's just a staple for anybody here.