Ecuadorian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Ecuador?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Ecuador and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

What is the local specialty?

Share with us the local tastes of Ecuador...

I don't eat the indigenous platos all that often in Quito.  The last such meal I had there was in a small place on  Plaza del Teatro several days ago, Restaurante Tradicional.  Simple chicken with rice, radish salad, potato and a juice beverage...for the absurdly low price of $1.50. 

But that was not the haute cuisine of Ecuador.  For that you can visit places in Mariscal Sector.  Mama Clorinda's is a Gringo-favored place for the EC indigenous plate of cuy, guinea pig.

Today, on a trip to the Checa (Pichincha province) area, I was told by locals to try Fritada's (the Oracle of Ore. will remember that word), and so I had lunch there.  It's on Calle Eje Quito.

I special-ordered a mixed chicken and pork based dish.  Surprisingly, it was the side dishes and not the mixed meats (which are often slightly overcooked for my taste in Ecuador) that were the stars.

The potatoes were tasty and perfectly cooked with just the right spicing.  A chuck of cheese was an unexpected addition.  The fried whole banana was sweet and cooked to perfection.  The salad with fresh avocado and tomato was just fine.  $7 including ice tea.

They're open till 7 p.m. most nights and, if you are staying at Gringo-friendly Pakakuna Gardens, whose restaurant is closed Wednesdays and Thursdays, you will want to know that Fritadas delivers there.

cccmedia from Checa

Hi, cccmedia,
How do I send a PM?

Regards,
PS in Virginia

Hello, cccmedia,
Speaking of guinea pigs, in Virginia, over the 4th of July holiday weekend, a policeman approached a man at the park who was grilling what looked like someone's pet after appalled onlookers summoned the PD Dept. regarding a case of animal abuse. The man replied that he was from Ecuador and was grilling a guinea pig, one of the popular items of their local cuisine. ha I'm vegetarian so I won't make any further comments. I get it.

So, is it easy to be a vegetarian in Cuenca in terms of availability of fresh veggies and fruit? I love to cook and hope to take some cooking classes there as well. I hope more folks will reply to this thread with their fav recipes. An interesting thread, thanks!

Regards,
PS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAetCKxEhDA

Pretty good episode of the show No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. Gives an idea of the variety of different types of cuisine in Ecuador.

peripatetic_soul wrote:

Hello, cccmedia,
Speaking of guinea pigs, in Virginia, over the 4th of July holiday weekend, a policeman approached a man at the park who was grilling what looked like someone's pet after appalled onlookers summoned the PD Dept. regarding a case of animal abuse. The man replied that he was from Ecuador and was grilling a guinea pig, one of the popular items of their local cuisine. ha I'm vegetarian so I won't make any further comments. I get it.

So, is it easy to be a vegetarian in Cuenca in terms of availability of fresh veggies and fruit? I love to cook and hope to take some cooking classes there as well. I hope more folks will reply to this thread with their fav recipes. An interesting thread, thanks!

Regards,
PS

Nobody here is calling the cops if a neighbor grills a cuy. ;)

To send a PM, click on the name of a member above the avatar photo and you will magically arrive at a page where you can contact same.

Lots of veggies are available in Cuenca from the many farms, including organic farms, in that area.

cccmedia from Checa, Ecuador

ha, I love zany, audacious Anthony Bourdain. You never know what he is going to ingest! I'm really interested in some of your Ecuadorian recipes. I love to cook and welcome what the moderator is asking. Please share. Thank you.

The restaurant at Pakakuna Gardens re-opened today, so I got to experience a higher quality of Ecuadorian cuisine at lunch.

Chef Álvaro made me a dish of trout with salad and vegetables.

The grilled trout and the sides were excellent.  The main course was accompanied by cooked zucchini, mushrooms and red peppers in a mild but tasty tomato-based sauce.

Pakakuna's standard meal price of ten dollars applied, including choice of beverage and postre that included a portion of cake and chocolate ice cream.

cccmedia, back in Quito

Postre= dessert ?

Correct, Oracle.

So many cuisines are available in Ecuador cities that it would be a mistake for any Expat to write off the country if they sampled Ecuadorian food and found it lacking.

In the most Gringo friendly areas of the capital, restaurants featuring all the world's major cuisines are available, most in walking distance of one another.  Thai, French, Italian, Indian, Chinese, for starters.  There are Mexican, Argentinian, Irish and Cajun places.

And of course, there are Super- and MegaMaxi supermarkets where you can buy the ingredients to make your favorite dishes at your convenience at home.

cccmedia in Quito

Over at the Quito Marriott Hotel today, I had the prawns with grilled veggies at the poolside restaurant.  The place was not crowded and, with the tropical landscaping for a background behind the pool, it would be tough to beat the ambiance.  At least in Quito.

The big prawns were a nice change from the small camarones you typically find at the restaurants here.  The grilled vegetables -- berenjena, zanahorias (eggplant, carrots) and zucchini -- were superior.  So good, in fact, that I want to order a plato fuerte of this vegetable dish on my next visit to this Marriott restaurant.

Quito Marriott location:  Amazonas and Orellana.  Price of prawns and grilled vegetables:  $19.  The hotel offers a lunch buffet on Sundays.  There is also a Mexican restaurant in the hotel, on the lobby level.

cccmedia in Quito

Kind of spendy for Quito, no?

Prawns are expensive anywhere else I guess.

What kind of crowd did you observe frequenting the place when you were there?

suefrankdahl wrote:

What kind of crowd did you observe frequenting the place when you were there?

The Marriott in Quito draws a lot of Gringos, but the lobby has not usually been too busy when I have visited there.  The doorman is a tall Ecuadorian wearing an Abe Lincoln-style sombrero.  The staff is well-trained to give Gringos the royal treatment.

During lunch, I positioned myself overlooking the big health-club swimming pool and the tropical backdrop and wasn't paying much attention to the few other diners.  The solo diner across from me appeared to be a middle-aged Gringo in casual smart attire.

Two young Gringas in bikinis were relaxing in the outdoor Jacuzzi at the far side of the pool area along with their male Ecuadorian translator/guide.

cccmedia in Quito

The restaurant atop Hotel Quito -- Techo del Mundo (top of the world) -- features panoramic views of Quito and its valley suburbs, and an Ecuadorian Tasting Dish called Degustión de La Comida Nacional

It consists of stewed goat, fried pork, marinated beef and corn fritters.

The restaurant currently features a Spanish menu as well -- and by that I mean the cuisine of Ecuador's former colonial power, Spain.

Among the highlights of this latter menu are Octopus Tentacles, Stewed Ox Tail and Roasted Suckling Pig.

Main courses for both menus typically range from $14-17, but you'll pay double that if you opt for the Suckling Pig.

If you like loud, continuous piano music with your dinner, this is the place for you.  If not, come on Sundays when the live music ends at 3 p.m.

cccmedia in Quito

Your insights and experience on so many levels are much appreciated, cccmedia.  I trust we might meet and enjoy a meal and some beverages together when I touch ground in Ecuador this coming Winter.  :)

Senor Ramon wrote:

Your insights and experience on so many levels are much appreciated, cccmedia.  I trust we might meet and enjoy a meal and some beverages together when I touch ground in Ecuador this coming Winter.

Sí, Señor. ;)

I'll send you a PM personal message now.

cccmedia in Quito

Greetings.
Ugh, so it seems all kinds of animals are often on the menu. Are there any vegetarian type entrees other than salad (e.g., with beans, corn, etc.)? You mentioned other ethnic fare is available, including Chinese, etc. I take it one can find toufu on the menu? Any restaurants specializing in vegetarian fare?

Many thanks to those of you on the ground.
PS

peripatetic_soul wrote:

Greetings.
Ugh, so it seems all kinds of animals are often on the menu. Are there any vegetarian type entrees other than salad (e.g., with beans, corn, etc.)? You mentioned other ethnic fare is available, including Chinese, etc. I take it one can find toufu on the menu? Any restaurants specializing in vegetarian fare?

Many thanks to those of you on the ground.
PS

Am not on the ground. Have no idea if many places have vegetarian menus. For my sisters wedding in Ecuador the chef did a 5 course meal with 2 different menus. One for vegans, and one for non vegans. Everyone who was a vegan raved about all the courses. So not sure about the majority of dining places, but there is definitely some chefs around that are capable of doing great vegan/vegetarian dishes.

The grilled vegetables side at the Marriott poolside restaurant (Report #11) were so good, I went back another day and ordered them as a stand-alone plato fuerte.

Especially I enjoyed the carrots -- sweet and tasty.  The eggplant, mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini and peppers were all good.  $8.20 plus tax.

This is a lunchtime restaurant.  Upstairs are Mexican and Argentinian restaurants open at night.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

Postre= dessert ?

Yes.

As long as I'm posting... I really like a nice plate of mote pillo (signature dish for Cuenca). I can eat for any meal :-)

http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/03/27/m … with-eggs/

I might add that anyone wanting to try their hand at Ecuadorian cooking give http://laylita.com/recipes/ecuadorian-recipes/ a try.

Senor Ramon wrote:

Your insights and experience on so many levels are much appreciated, cccmedia.

I have found 99.9% of the time that if cccmedia says it, it's good info. If I ever spend some time in Quito, would also like to meet for a cup of coffee :-)

cccmedia wrote:

Correct, Oracle.

So many cuisines are available in Ecuador cities that it would be a mistake for any Expat to write off the country if they sampled Ecuadorian food and found it lacking.

cccmedia, give La Locanda at try (over at the Swissotel)

http://www.swissotel.com/hotels/quito/d … a-locanda/

The web page says Attire: Formal, but I'm from Oregon... formal means Khakis and polo shirt :-)

symo

rsymington wrote:

I have found 99.9% of the time that if cccmedia says it, it's good info. If I ever spend some time in Quito, would also like to meet for a cup of coffee :-)

If Symington can take off his camisa de fuerza and I remove the peluca, I think we can make it work.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
rsymington wrote:

If Symington can take off his camisa de fuerza and I remove the peluca, I think we can make it work.

cccmedia in Quito

I'll have to get a note from mi esposa. I'm sure she would give me a day pass :-)