Danish cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Denmark?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Denmark and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

My favorite Danish dish is Ris a la Mand. Traditionally served every jule frokost...its a thick, Rich creamy Rice pudding with Lots of almonds.
Boil rice and milk together.
After the rice is cooked, whip some cream and add to this ..mix it in well.chop 1/4 the quantity of peeled almonds as the rice into reasonably small chewable prices and mix in...One almond I left whole in the serving bowl. Serve with Kisebær sause.

Traditionally, At the table during jule frokost the One who Finds the Whole almond Wins a gift from the host!!

I have a Lot of other recipes but not Danish! So thats it from me😊

coming 20th will be therein Denmark capital of Copenhagen. i want very cheap sharing accommodation any where in Denmark and i need job also in Denmark Area. It is very helpful for my life and thankful to my family to you.
thank you

At this time of the year I like Blomkålsgratin (cawliflower gratin) very much. This recipe comes from Frøken Jensens kogebog. The first book of that name was published in 1901, but the contents has been updated many times since. Still it is the cookbook for modern homes.

Cawliflower

1 dl flour
50 - 60 g margarine
3 dl fluid (e.g. 1 1/2 - 2 dl boiling water, 1 1/2 - 1 dl milk)
3-4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or after your own taste, but don't forget the sugar)

A cawliflower in small pieces is boiled in salted water until it is just tender. Put the pieces into an ovenproof dish.

Then you make a batter in the way you prefer. I normally do it this way:
         Melt the margarine in a pot, add the flour while stirring, add the fluid until the surface is smooth and fine. Let it cool down a little before adding the eggs. If you will it the right way, you add the egg yolks, one at a time while stirring. Finally, you add the stiffly beaten egg whites very carefully. (I am lazy so I just add the whole eggs one at a time).

Now pour the roux over the cawliflower. Strew bread crumbs over the surface. Finally, you spread some little
pieces of margarine around.

Bake the gratin about 60 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees.

Serve with butter and perhaps rye bread.

If anything is left, then it tastes very good on a slice of crispy rye bread (smørrebrød) the next day. (Aldi offers freshly baked rye bread many times a day at only 20 kr.)

Another favourite of mine at this time of the year: Tomatbøf (tomato beef)
Lots of onions
Tomatoes
Potatoes

margarine
salt, pepper, sugar

Start boiling the potatoes.

Roast the onions in margarine (make them extra delicious by adding a little sugar)
Put them aside, but keep them warm as best you can.

Dip the tomatoes in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Roast them on both sides in the same pan.

Simple dish, but nevertheless, one of the best dishes I can get. It has been one of my childhood favourites and it still is.

Velbekomme!

One of the traditional Danish dish that have become among my favourites is the "Hakkebøf" or Danish hamburger steaks. I had it for the first time 2 years ago at my then boyfriend's (now husband) mother's place in north Jutland and I liked it right away. I tried to replicate the recipe but somehow it didn't turn out as good as my mother-in-law's hakkebøf. My husband loves his mom's version so eventually I had asked her how she makes them. My husband and I enjoy the hakkebøf that I now make 😀

To make this traditional dish, you will need:
For the Hakkebøf
* 1/2 kg of lean ground beef
* 3 large onions, sliced
* 1 tbsp olive oil & 25 g butter for frying
* salt and pepper to season the burger steaks

For the gravy
* fat from the pan
* 1 tbsp flour
* 200 ml milk
* salt & pepper to taste
* brown food colour
* 1 tsp redcurrant jelly

Procedure:
Preheat the oven to 180 deg. C.
Divide the grounded beef into 6 equal parts and form into patties. Season with salt and lots of pepper on each side.
Heat the oil/butter in a large frying pan. Sauté the sliced onions until soft and caramelised. Pour into a glass baking dish. Set aside.
In the same pan, fry the patties until browned on each side. Place on top of the onions. Prepare the gravy.
In the same pan with the juices and fat from frying the patties, stir in the flour until it become a paste. Pour in the milk and keep stirring. Let it simmer until the consistency becomes a little thick. Add in the redcurrant jelly and brown colouring. Keep stirring. Turn of the heat and pour the gravy in to the hamburger steaks and onions. Bake for 15-20 mins.

Serve with boiled potatoes and rødbede. Enjoy!

How can we get forget the Danish national dish?

The recipe comes here:
visitdenmark.com/national-food-denmark

You can also try the dish at several restaurants at a very reasonable price.

I love pølsemix. It's fried, sliced up sausages served on top of fries with chopped raw onions and curry ketchup. I haven't been here long, so have yet to try more Danish dishes.

I absolutely love remoulade! What a joy that stuff is. :)