Safety in Turkey

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Turkey?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Turkey and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I dont feel safe at all :D Especially guys are staring so much on the streets.

Turkey is best place and most safe place than other country. Everybody see on TV news and everybody travelling around to the world.  Problem is everywhere social,criminality,political. Yes all we know turkey location is so different area and neighbors are not so good and many problem coming from other countries. Anyway we love people and we respect everybody that why everybody want to move turkey. If you think turkey is not safe and dangerous why you want to come....stag home or go other place.

Hi,

All countries has own goods and bads. Most of Turks are really hospitable and friendly. However security level of Turkey is under the international level. This is a statistical information and true. But that doesnt mean Turkey is really so dangerous country and you can not walk safely. Safety subjects are changing city by city and region by region. Because culture and life style are not same all over the country. For example, some districts in Ankara even a men can not walking at night totally feel secure. in New York, Paris, and other cities either. In Turkey some cities are more conservative in the meaning of Islam. So you dont feel confortable while you are walking with a mini skirt or drinking your beer on the street. People may give reaction for that. Actually in Turkey homeless number is less than Europa and USA. But you may get attacked by crazed addicted homeless especially at where the places they mostly live.  This is also true for other metropolitan.
Lastly it s not good way to explain yourself/your nation that ''if you dont like so dont come'' Person, people, communities, nations should be well know their-self, not only good ones but also negative sides. While you declare yours positives you should see and accept your negatives and try to fix or change them. This is true for every scaled units of society and nations.

Cheers

Aqu   

I have lived here permanently for 18 years and Turkey is one of the safest countries I have ever experienced. So yes, I do feel comfortable walking out by day or night - pretty much everywhere. Compared with where I originally called home, the UK, I have never felt more secure. Of course there are problems in Turkey, name me one place where there are not any, but Turks are generally kind, helpful, supportive and caring and will go out of their way to help. The ridiculous, scare-mongering coverage recently in the UK media is as far removed from the reality of being here as it is possible to get. I am happy to call Turkey home for very good reasons - security is just one of them.

Pretty safe in general .. But of course as a lady you need to be careful where you go , the location is important .. Good to be with group of people at least two .. Be cautious where to go at night ; if you are alone .. If two people no problem .. You can tell the density of women and men in the crowd , if you see only men and deserted area , it is a bit risky ..

In the 33 years I have been in Turkey, I have always felt much safer here than the UK or rest of Europe and still do.

Apart from the gawking eyes from men when they see particularly foreign women, I feel pretty much safe here.  Although some men can stalk you, follow you with their car and sexually harass you by asking you if you need a lift or keen for more than a lift.  This happens a lot however if you ignore them eventually they leave you alone and also they are ashamed if they are seen by other people so try and shame them by shouting at them to go away, this embarrasses them.   With that said, I do however walk alone at night a lot and I never feel afraid.  I have not experienced any real danger.  But of course I walk in places that I know are pretty much safe and familiar.

I live in Izmir and I have always felt safe.. I don't like going out at night without my husband but I think that's pretty normal in many countries.. If I get lost or have experienced any problems I have always found the Turkish people to be very helpful and they go out of there way to make sure I'm safe... The only thing that I worry about is the roads... I don't feel safe crossing the roads 😟 I don't know that I will ever get used to the high volume of traffic... But as far as criminality goes? I have never felt threatened.. I have seen men fighting and arguing in the streets, however it's not my concern and as long as you mind your own business they don't trouble you.. So yeah... I feel safe in turkey...

I have found Turkey to be very safe.  I am an older woman; a solo traveler.  I move between Australia and Turkey twice a year staying 2 or 3 months at a time.  I am even thinking of applying for a longer term visa.   Turkey is very protective of their tourists with well developed transport and accommodation systems.  If you want to learn Turkish there are many courses available.  I believe my safety is enhanced by my approach and my attitude.  I am interested in people  and culture and society.  So people respond to me in a positive and very respectful way.  To understand Turkey is to understand that there is a deep-seated thuggishness among some elements. But particular minority populations have historically been the target of this thuggishness rather than the expat population.  For me you have to be alert to the possibilities of encounters with these people and take sensible precautions.

I lived in İstanbul for more than 10 months. I felt safer there than I do here in the rural United States. People in my neighborhood were so helpful and kept an eye out for each other. At night, one of our neighbors' dogs, a Kangal-German Shepherd cross, kept watch over our block. If anyone came around late at night, his deep, throaty bark scared them away.

Usually,in the day ,I do not feel there is any fear but at night,really, I am feeling fear because there many people drink alcohol in the parks and streets

I don't feel safe. One realtor is threatening to kill me. He has blackmailed me.

I have travelled to Istanbul on 3 occasions and stayed each time for at least a month. I am planning my next trip and hope to stay for longer. I come from South Africa, a country rife with crime. It is such a pleasure to be able to walk the streets of Istanbul at night, and not fear for your life, as is the case in my country. Regarding advances from men, I must admit, there has been a considerable amount of that but have found that they are not forceful and back off rather gracefully, at least that is of the experiencey I have had. I find Turkey to be one of the most beautiful countries, the people are so kind and hospitable, the food great and the streets safe. If I could, I would re-locate. I am completely relaxed when I visit Istanbul. I have walked alongside the Bosphorous, across the bridge, several times, late at night,  alone, and have never had any problems. there is no danger of any crime, big or small. Turkish people are extremely trustworthy and it's the only city where I can completely 'drop my guard', and not have to watch over my back, and savor and enjoy all of it's beauty.

My experience was similar to yours. My first trip there, I gripped my handbag tightly when I rode the bus, just like I do in American cities. My friends all laughed at me. "In Istanbul, you don't need to do that," they said. They were right. I wish all cities were as safe and welcoming as Istanbul!

Yes it is really the safest city in the world.

So true! I am actually smiling to myself right now because that's exactly how I hold my handbag, tightly under my arm and constantly peering in, to see if the contents are all still there!

No 'thugs' walking the streets in Istanbul. And the police look pretty stern too, so no room for petty crime on the streets.

Depends on where you are. Not because it is primarily the Turkish people that cause the safety issues alone in the world. In any social gathering, there will be safety issues. The more bigger the city is,  the more dangers circling the daily life. So, I'd like to point to my previous statement,  depending on where it is. However,  due to the current situation with the neighboring countries declaring war left and right,  note that it is dangerous if you travel closed to the border.

I have seen Turkish society evolve over the years now ,in comparison the thuggish elements are quite common in the neighboring Mediterranean countries as well. The street crime rate is far lessor as compared to a number of EU countries. In my opinion Turkey is among the safest countries in the region, while stands on top of the list for foreigners wanting to settle down in a comfy atmosphere or looking for a second home option.