Safety in Poland

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Poland?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Poland and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I lived one year in Warsaw and visited many places, walked through districts many nights, I have never been robbed or sth was stolen from me.
It is very safe. But it doesn't mean we should make less awareness for ourselves.

I feel quite safe here. Surely, there are some areas that you should not enter at night, and some events you'd better avoid - for example football matches of teams whose supporters do not like each other - but generally Polish criminals do not attack strangers.

Warsaw is quite safe. I have heard stories of the dangers in Praga and in Krakow but don't know anyone first hand who experienced it.

Hi all. How about Wroclaw? Is it safe in there? Me and my wife are planning to relocate in Wroclaw from Singapore. We have concern like, is the racism rampant in Wroclaw since we are Asian we have different color complex.

Asian fit in easily in Poland. You do not stand out much since Poles hve had at least 30 years to get used to Asians who come here doing business. Besides, there are many mixed marriages and Asian look is not as striking as for example African. However, we get used to new people very easy and give you extra scores for your foreign background.

Be aware of drunk, football fans, avoid suspicious quarters and never show your wealthy once you are in a public. Safety precautions like everywhere else. Keep your wallet and bag in front of you, close to your body, never in your backpocket.

My very very best friends are from Kenya :). Some other friends are Muslims from previous Yugoslavia and Irak, Poles of Jewish background, couple of Swedes, A girl from Philipines, Ukrainians and Italians. It works :). You will find your place there. Be prepared for a flood of friends and continous toasts over Polish pierogi and herring ;).

Hi guys,

I agree with red.onion's comment take her advise ... I came from the Philippines and been living in Poland (Crakow) almost 9 yrs.. I love it here and i see myself being part of it, as im Married to Polish. It was difficult in the beggining especially the language which is a big part of living here but it was worth it after taking up Polish lessons..

Oh salamat Kabayan polkapinay me and my wife will be moving in Wroclaw.

Thanks red.onion for your reply and advice. We look forward in moving there in a months time.

Christine, any time I have been to Warsaw (twice a year on business) it has been very safe and certainly after having a few beers in the city and walking back to hotel/apartment of getting the tram there has never been an issue. Even on football matches while there is a tension between fans - within Poland it was good humoured and banter. Very safe country but again I cannot judge as I have not been totally around. Usually I would run in the evenings and sometimes I stray away from the bigger streets but have never found it unsafe. The only time I ever observed tensions was when a close by country were at war and there was a fear of 'going back to how we were post 2nd world war. Overall a safe place.

I spent a lot of time in a hostel near the midway between the train station and the Old Town about 15 years ago, because my girlfriend worked there. Guests would arrive from time to time with complaints about being robbed, occasionally having been assaulted in the process. I remember one extreme week when there were three cases. There's violence for sure, just like in any large city. It would be foolish for a woman to walk alone in the city at night. Naturally there are safer parts of the city. When I was there, Praga always had the reputation as the tough part of the city. Since I'll be returning to live there soon, this question is pertinent in my mind. But this time I'll have a German Shepherd with me, so let those thugs try what they want!