Safety in Mexico

Let the record show that...

1. This thread has essentially remained on-purpose, and comparisons between Mexico and other places are relevant.

2. The poster from Campeche incorrectly explained the original purpose of the thread and confused reader(s) by not properly identifying Stanford University.  There was no explanation for the "Hatfield" boner.

3.  The introduction by CaribeGal of the State Department map was a solid contribution re the aspect of safest places in Mexico  :top:  and that map can be of major assistance to Expats seeking to relocate south of the U.S. border.

4.  Overall, this thread has been enlightening and lively, and -- especially with this country, Mexico -- I commend Christine and the Home Office for introducing it across the Expat.com spectrum of forums.

cccmedia in Ecuador

Hi everybody,

This topic has been launch so that all the members can express themselves freely on this subject. Each member has his own point of view and is experiencing safety in Mexico in a different way, therefore let's respect each others opinion please. :)

P.S We are happy to read each one of you here. Your opinions are important for us and we thank you for your contribution.  :top:

Priscilla

I have traveled all over Mexico and spent extensive time in many areas, as an older woman alone, and I have always felt really quite safe. Buses are generally fine, any class. I have even taken what one driver jokingly referred to as a fifth class bus into a hot zone (Tierra Caliente, Michoacan) and nothing happened and I never felt in danger (just shaken up a lot!) I also feel safe in the States so maybe I am not inclined to paranoia. But I am a thinking person. I avoid dangerous areas at night, bus routes that are problematic (like the night bus up to San Cristobal from the Yucatan), and the frontier states. Be prudent not paranoid, is my motto. Do your research, use your head, be realistic but not fearful. Most of the organized crime affects Mexicans, unfortunately; they suffer a lot and I feel sorry for them. It is terrible for many. But the cartels have no desire to confront the US military! So they leave gringos alone, because they know their limits.

jeanfinney wrote:

I have traveled all over Mexico and spent extensive time in many areas, as an older woman alone, and I have always felt really quite safe. Buses are generally fine, any class. I have even taken what one driver jokingly referred to as a fifth class bus into a hot zone (Tierra Caliente, Michoacan) and nothing happened and I never felt in danger (just shaken up a lot!) I also feel safe in the States so maybe I am not inclined to paranoia. But I am a thinking person. I avoid dangerous areas at night, bus routes that are problematic (like the night bus up to San Cristobal from the Yucatan), and the frontier states. Be prudent not paranoid, is my motto. Do your research, use your head, be realistic but not fearful. Most of the organized crime affects Mexicans, unfortunately; they suffer a lot and I feel sorry for them. It is terrible for many. But the cartels have no desire to confront the US military! So they leave gringos alone, because they know their limits.

Excellent post and perspective, jeanfinney!  I agree with everything you say.  Gringos are very seldom targeted other than in petty crimes (because we're all "rich", right?)  Most of the violent crime is directed towards other Mexicans.

Thanks! I would just like to add that the primary gringo/expat communities - Chapala and San Miguel - have attracted a lot of housebreakers, pickpockets, bag snatchers, ATM manipulators, etc, because of the extent of gringo financial ease displayed there. This is natural, but of course it has created problems for those living there. It is not dangerous in a violent sense, but suitable precautions do need to be taken. Really, our best allies in this world are common sense and awareness! Cultivate them where ever you go! :)

It's the same situation in all of Baja; whereever there are a lot of gringos and esp. if they flaunt their perceived wealth you will find plenty of thieves.

Of course, what do they expect? It is rather disrespectful too, to people who are struggling....Probably the Riveria Maya is the same. Oh if only common sense was more common! :)

We live in Cancun and feel completely safe. HOWEVER, my husband, along with 5 other tourists, was robbed at gunpoint, January of this year, at an OXXO by the flea market and across from Mextreme. The police were called, but did nothing, which REALLY surprised all involved, since they really try to clamp down where the tourists are. We are very lucky, too, to have purchased insurance for our bank account so that when the perps used my husband's debit card (and they sure did, racking up 26000 pesos in charges), he was able to fill out a form and then the bank did their own investigation, and replaced the money stolen, so I HIGHLY recommend, if you have a bank account in Mexico, that you purchase that insurance if your bank offers it. We bank at Santander

When we are going through certain parts of the downtown area, we are careful at night, but we have never had any problems downtown at all.

So sad to read this. Centro isn't what it used to be.  In l990 you could walk the streets all night.  A lot is do to influx of illegals from Central America that are on their way to USA but stopped in Cancun.  Be very careful around the huge shanty town that now exists in Centro.

Sounds awful. Sorry! Was it in the day time?

CarubeGal
Thanks for the info.  I am thinking of coming alone to the Playa del Carmen area for a full month.    I'm interested in a winter stay either here or Puerto Vallerta.   If I rent a place by myself, is there an area that you would recommend?  A free-standing structure as opposed to a condo complex?   A hotel (which I don't prefer)?    I don't want to be where it is utterly noisy all the time.   But by the same token, I'd like to know that the beach, restaurants and shops are within walking distance.   Any advise would be great.   Limited income so nothing fancy.
Arlene

Regarding Puerto Morales ...  I don't mean to be insulting, but I've been to Puerto Morales and the town square area / playground don't seem very safe at night.  I am a bit surprised that you say it's a safe place.  Looks can apparently be deceiving.

paty wolf wrote:

So sad to read this. Centro isn't what it used to be.  In l990 you could walk the streets all night.  A lot is do to influx of illegals from Central America that are on their way to USA but stopped in Cancun.  Be very careful around the huge shanty town that now exists in Centro.

Yep, the shantytown has gotten out of hand. The locals are suffering because of it! I'll walk downtown at night, but keep to the main drag. Would never think of walking through the slum at night...

jeanfinney wrote:

Sounds awful. Sorry! Was it in the day time?

It was the middle of the day, which is what was the most surprising of all! Happened at 1:45 pm. Just couldn't believe it.

Anywhere in Mexico where you find a lot of gringos you will find thieves/robbers; doesn't matter if it is Baja, Jalisco, QR or Mexico City.

ey you find them in the USA too  and surprise  they seal everything not nailed down including mail from your mail box.

Yep of course!

Pretty telling isn't it Maryellen? That's one of the many reasons why I don't live in an expat community. The neighbors know me, we speak to each other, and they watch out for me. I am not an outsider living in a expat colony, I'm a local. It makes a big difference.

Yes best to live among friends who will watch out for you and also help you with your Spanish.  I have many friends already in the Cancun Centro area and when I do go to live there it will be near them.  Some areas gave houses with slots in the door so the mail can go into your house and be safe.  I don't wish to live in an expat colony.

those comparisons are as different as apples and oranges.  Many cities that are considered "safer" have to little to offer in the way of life so no wonder they are safe; they are very boring.

Interestingly all the places Ive lived in Baja where there are a lots of expats, people rarely come outside of their house and interact with anyone.  I think most of them stay inside and either watch TV or drinking.  Drinking/going to bars seems to be the major hobby of many expats here in Baja; I guess because people move here and become bored due to the language barrier and turn to drinking out of boredom.  Most expats here don't know much about the area but they can tell you where most of the bars are located.  Another good reason NOT to live in an expat area as it can be very boring if you don't drink a lot.

maryellen1952  According to the statistical maps of Mexico . I live in one of the most safe peaceful cities in Mexico. It's not unattractive, or boring at all.  The point was isolation, if you isolate in a community where you have not formed a connection with the local people, your risk of problems goes up. Because you don't know the native people, they are not sure of you, and you cannot communicate with them. This is true in any country. You become part of the local community , or you don't.

I have met no expats here in Coatzacoalcos but im not at all surprised.its ugly and dirty and has no historic district.It can be dangerous I suppose 2-3 murders a day mostly hired hits so the victims are somewhat to blame.They knew the score.I hated it here at first arriving at the start of rainy season didnt help.But i have come to love the place,its vibrant and full of hustle and bustle.Mexicans come here mostly from Oaxaca and Chiapas looking for work most stay.I enjoy visiting the quaint little places that expats seem to choose as their home,but a weekend is enough.I never thought I would say this but I will never live in the states again.Its too regulated.

Hi,

The safest town in Mexico is San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, Mexico. It is a town of 200,000 25  miles south of Yuma, Az. I have lived there for 20+ years. I am not at liberty to explain the reasons for this, but it is an accurate statement.  Young women walk the streets at 2 AM alone on the streets with no problems.

Ensenada, Baja California is also generally very safe except for one small area.

The least safe are towns like Acapulco, Nogales and especially Juarez.

It is best to get CURRENT t advice from people who are living in whatever area you are planning to go. Conditions in a given area can change in a short time.

According to the PDF posted, the Yucatan state is probably the safest place to be in Mexico.  We feel very, very safe in Quintana Roo as well, but statistically speaking, Yucatan takes the cake.  We spent time there in Merida in 2012 and walked freely all over Centro at night with no fear.

Hola  Are you referring to Campeche? I walked all over  the main areas at night ,felt quite civilized and safe.

shell5200 wrote:

Hola  Are you referring to Campeche? I walked all over  the main areas at night ,felt quite civilized and safe.

No, Campeche the city is in the Mexican state of Campeche.   :)   However, we found it very safe when we visited as well.  Of course, we were only in the Centro area and waterfront.  Very civilized indeed!

I felt safe in Campeche too but I was not there a very long time. I agree that current info is important - and I also feel that you cannot really know or judge a place unless you spend some time there, say three months at least. Appearances - whether negative or positive - can be deceiving. If you spend some time you find out what is going on....

jeanfinney wrote:

I felt safe in Campeche too but I was not there a very long time. I agree that current info is important - and I also feel that you cannot really know or judge a place unless you spend some time there, say three months at least. Appearances - whether negative or positive - can be deceiving. If you spend some time you find out what is going on....

You are right about appearances. Hermosillo on the surface is a bustling business city, efficient and calm, but if you go through there often enough to go to the mall, or plazas you get a different unsettling image that makes you feel more isolated and less secure. I didn't need to live there for three months to find that out. I just traveled through there often enough. If you are observant, the malls and plazas will tell you a great deal about a place.

Makes sense. It also depends on the person's ability to observe, pick up cues, etc. Some people are quicker than others. A quick tourist run, however, rarely reveals the real life of any place!

Where is the link to the PDF that someone recently posted showing the murder rates in each Mexican state?  I thought it was on this thread but can't find it now.

Rather than reading U.S.-produced info you will get more realistic info by reading the Mexican news sites.  Most are in Spanish which is why so many expats are unfamiliar with the area they are living and safety.

Wekll they should learn Spanish! Many do...When in Guatemala I buy the paper when I can, but it is rather hair raising! In Mexico my yahoo becomes Mexican, so I get the news there - I also receive an interesting newsletter concerning Latin America, Insight Crime. But it is better not to become too obsessed and consequently paranoid. Some basic information, common sense and keeping alert, balanced with a healthy sense of confidence in life, are generally sufficient.

The best advice is to read the local Spanish news sites and you can get more realistic information rather than depending on tourists who spend less than 2 weeks in an area and many of them don't outside of their comfort zone which tends to be limited anyway.  I live in the Ensenada area and if you read the local Spanish news the city has it's problem just like anywhere else in Baja.  Recently I read that some of the cruise lines are threatening to avoid stopping at Ensenada if the increased drug and prostitution solicitations don't stop harassing people getting off the ships.  But you usually won't read this on the English news sites as they only want to promote good news.

The original post was about Mexican safety in general. I've lived in in DF twice, Oaxaca de Juarez, Torreón, Guadalajara, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Villahermosa and Huixquilucan in Estado de Mexico...now I'm in Tampico, Tamaulipas. Mugged twice in Centro DF, once he got nothing cause I fought back on instinct and the other was a sneak attack from behind where my iphone was ripped out of my hand while I was talking on it. While walking down the street I've been accosted by the Municipal Police in Villa (they stole $300 pesos out of my wallet), 2x in DF (they wanted a "soborno" of $250 pesos b/c I didn't have my visa with me & a cop wanted me to buy him a torta by falsely accusing me of public urination), Oaxaca (nothing stolen just took my name for some reason). None of these incidents have deterred me from loving Mexico. 95% of the people are wonderful and warm. Anyone can be robbed in any country at any time, but I still say the US is the most dangerous country I've ever lived in. Even Canada can be dangerous late at night in metro cities.
BTW, the safest country I've lived in is easily Cuba. The police have zero tolerance for "crimes against tourism".

Mary Ellen, I dont get the impression that the people who reply here are two week tourists! You seem to lean towards the negative....

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.  Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.--Marie Curie

I wasn't born in Mexico, so I'm not a local.  I don't consider myself a tourist either.  Crime and violence are everywhere but it's important to understand the why of it.  As I mentioned, I have personally been affected by the internal injustice that festers in Mexico.  I congratulate all you who have been exempted due to your gringo status, but caution that your shield could be taken away at any time on a whim.  It's important that you educate yourselves about the country that you live in. 

That said, I wish you all a good day!

Of course one should educate oneself - but that includes the fields of history, culture, belief systems, etc.

I live in a crime ridden USA city.  Mexico is never any problem for me.  I wander around a lot but never wear anything of value  nor carry a purse.  No earrings or other things that might attract unwanted attention.  Money for the day in front shirt pocket under crumpled tissue, No baseball cap or fancy sun glasses either.  Watch is ten dollars from local walmart.  Been doing this since l990 and have yet to have gun stuck in my face like happened in New Haven, Connecticut. USA.

I take exception to the idea that we have been exempted.  All of us who live on the economy here and have more Mexican friends than other expats are very well aware of political, economic and social conditions here.