Safety in Mauritius

JadeZed wrote:
Rosiewestie wrote:

My personal point of view is that Mauritius is a very safe place to live with friendly helpful people, it is a melting pot of different Nationalities, but I have to say I have never met an unfriendly local Mauritian, I often get lost driving, sometimes in remote area's and never once have I felt unsafe getting out of the car and asking for directions, in fact in one remote area, the guy actually walked ahead of my car to show me the correct road to get back onto.

Yes I have very occasionally come across "beggars" usually showing a piece of paper stating they are raising money for medical bills, whether this is true or not I usually give some loose change or a small note, not everyone will agree with this but this is what I choose to do.

As in any City in the World keeping yourself safe and being aware of what's going on around you prevails, I believe most crimes here are petty crimes. Of course I would never walk alone in a dark remote place anywhere in the World, this is simply common sense.

For me to sum up Mauritius - Paradise Island, friendly people, quality of life -  I just hope they don't develop too much and that they can kindly and humanely help the street dogs. And yes I feel very safe here :)

LOL...can you elaborate please?

Sorry JadeZed only just seen your question now ;)

By my saying I hope they don't develop too much I mean buildings and bill boards - too many would spoil the natural stunning look of Mauritius :)
Hope this has answered your question lol - Have a good weekend :)

Sabatine wrote:

yesterday, i read in this forum that an elderly couple from switzerland was beaten up , bashed almost to death for 400 rupees.. for some unknown reasons, this post was removed!!!!

i am also concerned with safety issues in mauritius.

for instance, expats women are mostly targeted for sexual assaults.

drugs are freely available at grand baie note clubs

Hi, I have searched and searched on the internet for this story and the only one I can find that remotely matches the story above was in 2009, there were also 2 stories from 2011 and in 2014 a tourist was robbed on the street of her handbag.

Anyone want to enlighten me on the story above?

The aggressors have been caught and stopped by police. Saturday, 29 August 2015 11:02
"À Pointe-aux-Sables : Le présumé agresseur du couple suisse arrêté
Written by  Nasif Joomratty"
http://www.defimedia.info/defi-plus/dp- … rrete.html
You can read the link by having this translated on google asI know from your last statement that you cannot read french.

Regards
Vedan

An elderly Swiss couple from Pointe aux Sables was indeed attacked because of Rs 400 a few days back...Even from the US, I read about the news...

It serves no purpose hiding the facts now...crime rate has spiked on the island since a few years...Local people will know it's light years away from what it was a few decades back...however, some places are more affected than others...there are places that have never witnessed any crime whereas others have their weekly count...resort areas with large number of tourists and expats are more prone to criminal activities mainly because of three reasons:

1. There is much money to be made in areas with high volume of tourism activities
2. Besides local consumption...there is a big demand for some 'commodities' from expats also...hence explaining the large scale activities such as drugs and prostitution in localities like Grand Bay, etc
3. Expats are more vulnerable as they are least likely to defend themselves, can be easily intimidated, do not know the local legislation and Mauritius being a place where everyone knows everyone, are highly unlikely to get some kind of support like witnesses if ever the case makes it way to a court of justice.

That said, even as a Mauritian, I would not risk wandering outside alone at night in some spots.

I sincerely hope everything changes for the better...but that won't be easy...

Where are you moving to?

Where will you go to to feel safe in this globalised world?

Good Luck!!

Vedan wrote:

I hope you are now satisfied with the response of a couple of expats who are not biased at all in their opinions and are also not inclined to be affected by the anxiety and hysteria of a few people's perceived state of crime and safety on the island that I still consider a paradise in the world!! Obviously,as one should know and expect that "Culture" is not "static."  We have to adjust and adapt with change and take responsibility for our own progression in life and our safety!!

Short and sweet, you are welcome here and take the advice from within those who have had the experience of having settled, adapt and make this place their homeland!!"RESPECT!!"

-------------

A very rosy view indeed of Mauritius. I used to say exactly the same as you and scoff at people who kept telling me how bad the crime was here until my own place was broken into and trashed a few weeks ago now. To add insult to injury the police here are dragging their heels despite having a name and cell phone number for one of the suspects.
I am not anxious, I am not hysterical and my view of crime is not perceived but based on personal experience and fact.