Safety in Kazakhstan

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Kazakhstan?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Kazakhstan and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

In my area in Kazakhstan, Ust-Kamenogorsk, I feel quite safe, at least from violence (transport is another matter ...), but I suspect much of that is to do with the fact that I'm of indeterminate origin (could be Russian, Eastern European, Caucasian), quite tall and reasonably well built and tend not to wear clothing that might mark me out as "different".

In both summer and winter, I can walk around until quite late at night (it is a 500 metre walk from one place to a bus stop) and I haven't encountered any problems. There's the occasional alcoholic that make lots of noise, but are otherwise non-threatening.

Just back to the point I made earlier about "different", if you are from a race of colour, in some places, you will be treated as a novelty, people wanting to touch you, feel your hair, often making insulting comments and passing stereotypical comments about you ... there are some in Kazakhstan that do not do "difference" well at all and do not know how to behave.

Similarly, if you are openly gay, or wear clothes that one particular group in Kazakhstan (Bolashak) regard as a "marker" of LGBTQI ... wait for it ... coloured pants ...

http://en.tengrinews.kz/laws_initiative … by-256105/

... then you do need to be quite careful. There are groups calling themselves "Occupy Paedophilia" that try to lure gay people into meetings and then commit violence on them ... in the same manner as the groups in Russia ... unfortunately, many in Kazakhstan (as in most of the former CCCP) cannot understand that there is a difference between LGBTQI and paedophilia ...

http://tengrinews.kz/kazakhstan_news/mv … ay-228780/

There are also problems if you are a non-Kazakh male and are seen with a Kazakh female in some areas, there are some in Kazakhstan that are very much against any mingling, as seen in the below link ...

http://en.tengrinews.kz/strange_news/Ma … from-4195/

and also from posts on here ...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=477057

In Astana, you feel pretty safe because there are a lot of police and military guys.

By feet:
Some streets are creepy at night (no lighting, old road with holes, puddles of water, etc.) but even if it is old or poor, people who are here are totally respectful with passer-by.
In clubs and bars, as a foreigner, it is smart to avoid speaking politics or religion with drunk people.

By car:
Cars often drive fast and above limitations and you can feel not so safe when you are in a taxi (official or not). As the safety belt is not mandatory on rear seats they are almost all the time removed or not usable...
It is known that some people have bought the driving license on black market and it is noticeable that some people does not know how to drive safely (cars stopped or parked directly on the road, cars which goes into reverse, etc.).
In unofficial taxi, it is smarter to negociate the price before the fare in order to not take the risk to be scammed or involved in a fight if you don't want to pay (boxe and other battle sports are popular).
Sometimes you can be arrested for uncertain reasons (for example it is possible to be arrested if your car is dirty...) and as a consequence you could be obliged to pay a fee (based on uncertain rates...).

Hi All, I am back in this forum after some gap. It feels good to be in Kazakhstan Forum. Let me try to answer the questions on safety from my experiences:

1. Do you feel safe in Kazakhstan?: Yes, I do feel safe here. I am living in Astana and have not felt any situation till now which could create fear of living in this country.

2. How would you define the level of safety in the country?: In Astana, being a capital, it is very safe. People tend to care about business and focussed in their work. They are mostly working people and have little time to create troubles to others. 

3. Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?: During the day, absolutely without any worry. In the night, I have walked only in the areas which are in middle of the capital. I found it easy and safe but normally, being a new place, I avoid walking around in the night. Also, my job does not demand any night outing and have not experienced much of it. I suggest, "precaution is always better" as being a new place.

4. Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?: No. People do not talk about religion and politics which is good. So, if you avoid that, you do not invite any trouble.

5. Share with us your insight on safety in Kazakhstan and in the city you live in: Astana a safe capital of Kazakhstan.

BUT, the culture of driving is bad. People drive extremely fast. They are impatient in traffic signals and expect you to speed away the moment light turns from RED to YELLOw to GREEN. Any second's delay in your part invites loud honking from Cars behind you. I rate it as a very unpleasant experience.

If you travel by public buses, there will be a notice with a photo of people involved in pickpocketing and under police lookout. That tells pickpocketing is a menace. Travel carefully.

Two instances have been narrated by my Kazakh Friends that they lost their bicycles though it was securely locked with a strong electricity/lamp post. Be careful with your bicycle locking and leaving in public place.

A Kazakh Friend's laptop was stolen by breaking window glass of a car.

However, all things reported here are of sporadic nature and can happen to anyone in any towns in the east or the west.

Q: How would you define the level of safety in the country?

A: Very safe - I am in Almaty which was the forma capital and still considered the 2nd capital at the very least... There is a high Police presence at all time and this does make you feel safe.

Q: Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

A: Yes - you can walk around at all time - but I recommend you don't be stupid about it and walk areas with low lighting or around night clubs etc. where you can expect those who have been drinking to not be on their best behaviour - same as the rest of the world.

Q: Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

A: Social problems against foreigners for example is minimal and I am yet to have something stolen - however I would not expect items left in view in cars to be there when I returned - use your common sense...

Q: Share with us your insight on safety in Kazakhstan and in the city you live in.

A: Although not perfect - I do feel that Kazakhstan is safer than most places in Europe.

Its fairly safe as long as you don't leave your husband alone there to long then you loose him for good

you lose him..... you mean he gets lost in the crowd or will be found with someone..... :)?

pat1 wrote:

Its fairly safe as long as you don't leave your husband alone there to long then you loose him for good

They go off with the locals am sure if your there you know what I mean

I am sure the same could be said about some women too... Truth be said if you cannot trust your husband to not look elsewhere just cause you are not there all the time, maybe there is something wrong with the relationship... Maybe you need to find someone you can trust...

Yep but saying as 94 per cent of the men there having affairs not many woman doing it , I lived there and seen them all

find some one trust who knows maybe one day but married men I respected with lovely wives all
up to No Good been there seen it with own eyes

"... 94 per cent of the men there having affairs ..."

Really?

I think she is getting the rest of the world confused with Americans :)

- washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-cheating/2012/02/08/gIQANGdaBR_story.html

If that is all your man is cracked up to be - get rid of him and hold out for someone better...

Life is too short to have another half that you cannot trust or doesn't make you happy... Better to be alone )))

I totally agree with Nucmed's comments. Spot on. He tells it straight. Thank you.

I was almost kidnapped my first time in KZ. Caught a taxi from Astana airport to an address provided my me to the driver. The driver took me to a different address and then demanded money from me to take me back to the airport. I refused and he eventually took me back to the airport. I called it almost kidnapped because he did not take me where I wanted to go and did not tell me where I was actually going and tried to extort money out of me to get me back to my initial address.

"People do not talk about religion and politics which is good.'

In what conceivable way, not speaking of politics or religion is it "good"? It appears to be a strange statement.

I think it is great that there is not too much talk about religion; I think it is a personal choice and I don't need to constantly hear everybody else's view. I also find the fact that as this country has a majority of Muslims, the fact that you can go out and buy a beer and cigarettes more freely than the UK and there is little whiff of terrorism anywhere (it is very safe) - that this just goes to show that in the west that we fear far more than we should... 

Politics however is almost impossible not to talk about; even complaining about visa issues is technically politics :)

I have just contradicted myself haven't I? - This is indeed almost impossible not to do...

I guess I'm used to a democratic environment where people are free to speak about their beliefs.

There is also the point that perhaps the person that made the comment that it is good (that people aren't speaking about religion and politics) is because they are in Astana ... most people (both citizens and foreigners) are really there for one reason, to make money, not for any particular cultural enlightenment ...

Perhaps other cities in Kazakhstan may be different in those respects ... certainly people speak with me in Ust-Kamenogorsk about religion and politics, quite freely and openly.