Safety in Jordan

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Jordan?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Jordan and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I live in Amman, and yes it is very safe, you walk allover the city with no fear of what so ever, criminal activities are at their minimum, Police is everywhere, they are friendly, cooperative and in control. however, just like any other city I recommend not to walk around alone in some areas at late times especially if you are a woman.

Hi every one !
Jordan  is a safe country and it will always be . Why ? it is easy to answer :
  1. The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan  had and always will have wise leaders and on the top of them is the king .
  2. Jordan does not have REAL enemies or STRATEGIC enemies  !
  3. There is democracy in Jordan and freedom of expression .
  4. The main 3 monotheistic religions ( Muslims , Christians and Jews ) live together in Jordan like brothers and sisters   , as well as other religions like Baha'i and other believers , including atheists .
  5. The authentic Jordanian people are loving and generous and they have opened  their doors for  MILLIONS  of refugees  through out modern history and the doors are still open !
Needless to say  that here in Jordan a sole woman can wonder on the streets of Amman at 3 A.M. by her own and no one even thinks to  harm her .. and I do challenge any one to give a single case of a public solitary- women abuse in the last ten years   . In Jordan there is no children abuse or women abuse .. no drug dealers or socially disoriented psychopaths .
Amman's ancient name is Philadelphia ( philos delphos ) which means the merciful father .. Many prophets from the holy scriptures are buried in Jordan .. Jesus Christ was baptized in the River of Jordan .. It is really a fascinating , full of great history , holy and peaceful country to live in .

Ivan Maknay wrote:

and I do challenge any one to give a single case of a public solitary- women abuse in the last ten years   . In Jordan there is no children abuse or women abuse .. no drug dealers or socially disoriented psychopaths .

This is absolutely not true..... unfortunately there are many cases of women and child abuse, even in my own social circle and there are drugs addicts with all the related problems. Only you can not see it.

So Primadonna, are you trying to say that it is not safe?  No matter where you go there are always going to be bad people that do bad things.  In my city of course if you look you will find people who have done these bad things.  You will find cases of abuse with women, children and drugs.  But I wouldn't say that my city is technically unsafe because of that.  So I just want to know what you think if you had to say if it was or wasn't safe? Thanks

it is very safe, and just like u already said, there will be always bad people do bad things, Jordan is not an exception, but eventually the whole safety and security situation is under control, you will feel how safe and peaceful it is from the very first day  :)

@ Nelmoon: if you read carefully then you see that I was referring to Ivan who challenged everyone to state otherwise what he was saying.

It has nothing to do with safety in Jordan and like you said: bad things happens everywhere.

You want my opinion?

Jordan is safe and is stable. Most Jordanians consider Jordan as Switzerland in the Middle East. You can travel every where and alone, even as a girl but you have to know that some things in general is not wise to do.
Jordan is a great place to travel around and to experience to the max.

Ivan Makney..... You are delusional!  Yes, absolutely there is crime in Jordan.  People are human and evil is everywhere, even in Jordan.

However, unlike Ivan's Pollyanna approach to safety in Jordan, I have a healthy outlook, we are safe but we must not get too comfortable or lax in keeping ourselves safe.  (Ivan, I can tell you many stories).  Plus, it depends on who you are, your gender, nationality, age, style and where you walk and hang out.  A lot of factors go into keeping one safe.

Oh..C'mooonnn,i won't say that Jordan is not safe country neither will i say that Jordan is Safe country !

vwbug..I'm with you on this,i also can tell many stories based on my own experience being here in Jordan.

and YES! TO your statement that

"depends on who you are, your gender, nationality, age, style and where you walk and hang out"

Mostly if you are Asians (not to mention wandering around @3am) of course a BIG NO TO THAT!

I am sorry, but your story is a little unclear, was he in uniform, did he give you the bag back? did he run away? did you ask for help? Honestly, I never heard of a single incident of any stupid person who would ever dare to pretend he is a police, this is a very serious issue and anyone does such a thing will definitely spend the rest of his natural life in jail.

Jordan safe when you use car and taxis. Its definitely unpleasant for a woman to have small walk from house to supermarket even if it located in 100 meters away.
Here is some stories of criminal cases during my 2,5 years in Jordan.
Friend of mine, French woman, had her bag stolen in Cozmo during her shopping. She was on the phone during shopping and when she finally reach cashier she find out that bag with money missing from trolley. It took hour till managers and police came and till they had a look for cameras. During waiting police other lady with same problem came to cashier. Till now nobody call her from police.
Second story happened with my best friend from South Korea, who lives next to 7th circle. Her husband bought for her quiet expensive car since they got a baby. They park car outside in front of building. Two weeks later early morning when she wanted go somewhere car wasn't there. It was on december last year just before Christmas. So far no any respond from police.
My cleaner Filipino lady had issue when she was waiting for a Taxi on the street and some car during driving pull her bag out of her hands. She fall down, scratch her knees and hands. So she lost her mobile and all money which she had inside plus Gamma. Police didn't help so far.
My other friend from Uganda (Africa) was in Taxi, her mistake that she sat in front since she knew Taxi diver he dropped her couple times before. When she sat in his car he start touch her breast. She was so shocked that just could only shout to him stop car. She didn't call police but had huge stress and trauma. She always complain that in her case its very difficult to go out since she is african.

Arabs are safe to walk everywhere and they do walk everywhere, right in the middle of the street even. 
But being an EXPAT site and talking about people being safe, expats have a very different experience than local Arabs. 
Expats and women in general are on a different playing field than Arab men.

An other story about the police:

when my daughter was waiting for me to pick her up from school, she stood outside with a group of girls.
There are always boys who are driving back and forth to look at them. On that day a boy who drove a van want to impress the girls by spinning but he almost lost the control of the van and if the girlfriend of my daughter don't pulled her away she will be full hit by him...

The next day she recognized the boy, who of course acted if like nothing happened, and we called the police. In no time they were there and the told us to come to the station. After ten days or so we heard that we have to go to the court and we found out that the boy stayed in prison for three days. And at court he got a fine and with a warning that if he do this again he go to jail for a longer time than he was before.

I'm glad something was done about it  :top:

In my opinion one always needs to be attentive no matter what. I was told a lot to avoid keeping devices such as mobile phones or else visible  in cars as lots of times Windows are just being crashed. Another trick which has become a habbit is asking one about the road. A car loaded with up to three people stopping pretending to not knowing a certain street. Either they just grab a bag and piss off, or one steps out of the car asking, while a second inside the car asking too keeping one busy in order not to focus on the other. They hold road maps with one hand, using the other hidden underneath the map to grap for things. I was told this is very common and such teams watch one from the beginning. A aunt of mine was robbed her handbag, while I experienced second case. In case they keep returning when u just keep going, threaten them with police or just pretend to be calling for help. Another advice for appartments, when u see people standing infront of ones home who don't really belong there, don't turn the lights to the street side on right after coming back, as they might want to find out in which appartment one lives. I keep at least one light on when leaving the appartment.

Heard too many stories about "Police" who took money and mobile phones,girl i hired experienced this too,she can't do anything about it and i really want to help her when she said that the "police" took her Money and Mobile,and i Agree with Vwbug that arab is safe to walk everywhere and anywhere,
Was once i gt stopped by police and they ask about My passport and say "Mafi run away" wth seriousy ! Hahahhaahaa,and when i showed him my Passport and my ID then they just nod,maybe coz he see that im an Asian and they keep generalizing that Asian are "Runner" c'moooonn! Wake Up 😝

Being an American that visited jordan about 2 years ago, I found it really wasn't what I consider a dangerous or unsafe place to be. I am a male aged 40 and in good shape and had no issues at all. there are police everywhere and when there were minor issues I saw (little car accidents etc) they responded very quickly. As has already been stated being a woman there can raise some issues as it is a very make dominated society and men have very little desire to act a "gentleman". there are certain places it probably isn't recommended to walk around at 3am either but like any other city or country common sense will let you know quickly you probably shouldn't be there. I personally didn't see any crime per say but places like amman are big cities and there are always going to be bad people in every city of it's size. the people there were very friendly and helpful whenever I needed directions or help with such things. i took many long walks while there to get into the society and got lost more then a couple times but it was never an issue to ask and get help.  i would go back any time without fear for my safety or those i was with. it just isn't that kinda place. As for my apartment while i lived there, it was a nice enough place and had a "manager" who lived in the building also and watched the place pretty much 24/7. i never felt i might get broken into or robbed while there.

Amman is as you left it michael1974

I find it okay in Amman ... I have been here for 3 years . I walk a lot ... I walk to go shipping , to visit family , for exercise , I walk to the gym ..as long as there is no major street to cross .. I will walk for 1 to 2 hours alone or with my 3 boys ... I have not had any issues ... Other than the occasional cat walk and phone # requests ... Which you have to be stern about ... I have had no issues!
Crimes are everywhere ... I feel safer walking here at night than I did in Canada because the streets are always full of people here ... All day and night ! Like everywhere else you have to be careful...crimes happens everywhere in the world ...
I say I feel safe in Jordan ... As safe as I did in Canada ..