Safety in Haiti

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Haiti?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Haiti and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi Christine,

That is a very good question. I live in Paco in PaP and I feel safe. I run a lot of my errands by foot, sometimes walking for 20-60 minutes to go and come back. When I first moved here about 10 weeks ago I was quite overwhelmed by everything. Traffic is a little crazy and can be dangerous if you are not paying attention to where you are walking.

However, I do feel safe walking around during sunlight. No one really bothers me... I would not advise any woman to walk alone at night though but that is just common sense. I would avoid walking alone at night back home too. Being a foreigner, you should always be that much more cautious.

I also work a quater of the time in the South and I must admit that I feel a lot more at ease, relax and safe there than I do here in PaP. That is mainly because there is less traffic and everyone knows each other in smaller villages so there is this social community incentive to not cause any issues (that's my impression anyways).

Cheers!

It is not advisable to walk anywhere during the day or evening in the large cities although in Petion-Ville you are ok during business hours if you are on the main business streets but even then take care and be wary of people begging and asking for money.
When driving make sure that your doors are locked and do not travel with the windows far down when you are moving slowly. also leave some room to manoeuvre (but not enough that tap taps will see it as an opportunity to move in front of you) - I have been stuck before on-coming to a demonstration and had to make a quick U-turn.
As the elections are getting closer things are getting "hotter" and the likelihood of fast flare-ups by way of demonstrations, tire burning etc. are growing.
If you are a US citizen register with the Embassy to get e-mail alerts of trouble-spots. 
Be vigilant at all times.

As a Haitian American who often works and visits Haiti I have found it very safe.  Common sense dictate basic precautions such as not flashing money, expensive electronics, jewelry, etc.  I avoid walking in the streets after dark but feel comfortable going to the Champs de Mars or on Magloire Amboise for a beer at night.  Petionville has a safer vibe, perhaps it is because it is less crowded.  Outside of the metropolitan area safety is on a different level.  It is not crime as much as accidents or illness that I worry about on the roads because emergency services are non existent. All in all Haiti is much safer than the headlines will let one think.