Safety in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in the Democratic Republic of Congo and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hey, I am Anurag Verma and i want to ask that it is safe to live in Congo....Please reply soon.

Been In DRC many times Lubumbashi Kolwezi Bukavu never ever had a problem people are so friendly even late at night no probs but like all cities you have to be sensible Tom

I've lived in Kolwezi for 18 months and frequently walked around town both by myself and with my husband...never had any problems. Like any place you have to be sensible, I don't walk alone at night but generally the people are friendly and you only have to say bonjour and they respond in kind.   I've also used local taxis and shopped on my own all with no issues.  There are the same social problems as any city, homelessness, petty theft etc but I lived in Sydney before and it's just the same and there are certainly places I wouldn't go on my own or at night there as well.
i would suggest getting some sort of pouch to carry your passport in rather than a pocket or handbag, it's required that expats have them with them at all times, I have a pouch that goes around my neck just in case I lose my bag or it gets stolen, I also carry minimal bank cards with me simply because if you lose them it's pretty impossible to get new ones.  Again the same measures you would take when you travel anywhere.

Hi Anurag,

I am going to finish my 3 months in DRC. Here you would not have any problem in terms of security only if you keep attention on few things.

1. Avoid late night outings on street, If you want to go some where always use car in evening/night.
2. People generally friendly and give you respect all around.
3. Kinshasa/ Goma are such places where a bit concern of security but rest places are OK.
4. Always keep remember that here many people are poor and fight for his survival so they sometime may trying to tease you for money and valuable items, so always hide these things in public places.

At conclusion, If you follow such attentions, No worry