Safety in Brazil

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Brazil?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Brazil and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hello everyone,

While Brazil does have a very high crime rate, it is really no more "unsafe" for foreigners and tourists than any other country if you take the reasonable precautions that you SHOULD take whenever you travel.

People get robbed, mugged, assaulted in New York, London, Istanbul and my beloved Vancouver, that should not stop anyone from visiting those cities.

The most violent crimes here are actually mostly limited to people involved in criminal activities and drug trafficking and don't really effect expats at all, unless they're engaged in those activities. Petty crimes are without exception crimes of opportunity where the victim has inadvertently done something foolish to make themselves an easy target, like counting out a large wad of cash in public, wearing fancy clothes and jewelry or carrying an expensive camera.

There is a comprehensive list of safety tips in my topic thread A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil and if you follow them all religiously you will likely never even see a cop, much less have any kind of problems here in Brazil regardless of where you go. I've been here for over 13 years and don't feel any less safe than I did back in Vancouver, never had a problem of any kind in all those years.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

James is right.  No matter where you go in the world there will be safety issues for those who ignore safety warnings from those who are experienced.

I lived in Manaus, the safety there depended on the area just like any other city.  In Jame's guide he says dress like a Brazilian - in Manaus the attire was swim shorts, flip flops, and tank top basically.  I spent about a year walking around Manaus light and dark outside and only really had a couple of incidents and surprisingly.... all of them were with the bus system, either at the bus stop or on the bus itself.  The public bus system in Manaus is dangerous, if you ever have to use the public bus system, know enough Portuguese to at least get around the city to start and never wear expensive things it only makes you a target.  People stop a bus with the sole purpose to get on it and rob the driver and or its passengers so just be careful what you take on the bus.

That being said, i discourage people digging too deep down into the internet and what it says about Brazil's safety because as we both have said before, its like that everywhere in every country including the one you live in now.  If you want to wear expensive clothing and carry a lot of money down a dark ally way in the middle of the night... what do you expect?

Hope this helps!

Patrick - US / Brazilian Resident

Hi,

I´m happy to share my experience. I can only speak for Porto Alegre, not for Brasil 

As with every country, your experience of crime depends on who you are. I am a middle class professional, and so are most expats.  Most Brazilians are not middle class professionals, or not in the sense we expect in rich countries.  So, my experience of crime is in the minority among Brazilians and majority among expats from wealthy countries like myself.

Here, am part of the top 10% of income earners, but certainly not so in my native country! The number one threat for people like me here is car theft. I know of someone who has been "carjacked" 9 times here.  Most "muggings", or street assaults, happen in lower-middle-class (classe B, C) areas where middle and upper-middle-class Brazilians do not go (Classe A).  However, street assaults do occur in my middle-class neighborhood as well.

Now, it must be said that expats and tourists often go where Brazilians who earn the same income do not go - the center of the city, the "popular" public parks and squares, tourist locations, isolated and dark streets.  Muggings often happen here, especially at night.  Streets with heavy shopping foot-traffic often have muggings during the day as well.

In 6 years here in Brazil, my Brazilian wife and I walk in public every day, (though not in poorer areas), we mostly ride in buses, trains and taxis, and we avoid walking outside late at night and in dark and empty areas.  We have never been assaulted. I credit this to not having a car, not frequently visiting tourist or high-crime areas, and not exposing myself as a foreigner by speaking loudly or wearing foreign clothes.  My expat friends who do not have cars have had the same relatively safe experience we´ve had.  I don´t worry about crime.  However, I live in an apartment with a 2.5 meter steel fence with a locked gate, and electric fence atop it, a guard on our block, a locked building door, a building alarm system, fake cameras, and another steel gate in front of my interior front door. None of this bothers me, but it might bother some people who come here from rich countries because these defenses reflect real crime threats that I face.

It seems that people with family wealth or who earn more than R$10,0000 or R$15,000 do not walk on sidewalks.  They use cars to go from their private parking spaces to other private parking garages, and do not desire or risk being in public out of doors except in highly specialized and guarded locations.  Examples would be the most expensive shopping and nightlife streets, and two specific public parks.  For the most part, they appear to spend 99% of their lives here in Porto Alegre in private spaces, which includes offices and and shopping malls.  Public space almost does not exist for them and they do not encounter much street crime or many carjackings.  However, they are targeted for home invasions in which they can be tied up, beaten, threatened and killed.  And they can be kidnapped.  Thanks to extensive private Brazilian security, this does not happen often here.  Wealthy people who live outside of Porto Alegre in RS are more exposed to these risks, though violent crime is generally lower in the countryside.

So, most expats will have a similar sense of security here in RS when compared to North America.  Compared to Europe, it´s more dangerous.  I can´t speak for the rest of the world.

I lived in a nice neighborhood...Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro from 2007 to 2014, 8 years. I was carjacked at gunpoint while picking up my son from school. My car was not an expensive one.
My wife is Brazilian and has been robbed 5 times on the streets of Rio. My Brazilian friends are wanting to get out of Brazil.
Most of my gringo freinds living in Rio have been robbed or assaulted.  Now my son, wife and I live in the Orlando area and feel much safer than anytime in Brazil. I asked my wife 3 days ago if she felt safer here than in Brazil. Her response was...CLARO! (SURE!)
As a gringo in Rio I was always looked at as rich, even though I had to work my ass off 12 hours a day to afford a decent life (not living in a favela). My English course started from scratch and I built it over 6 years.
To answer you question...I dissagree, I know Brazil (Rio) is more dangerous than comparable cities, at least in the U.S.
The problem is that 80% of Rio is favelas, they go to the beach communities to rob people. Gringos in the favelas are prime targets too.

James' advice about taking sensible precautions is sound. However, the cost/benefit ratio for violent crime makes it impossible to rule out. Whether its corruption, lack of funding or plain old incompetence of the police, coupled with a judicial system that doesn't weigh the violence of the crime sufficiently and scale its punishments enough, criminals often prefer violent crime to stealth.

This affects many decisions and approaches to life in Brasil. For example, you can't simply buy some property, simply considering price, location etc. You have to consider security and safety wherever you buy. Moreover, you have to consider that often times, the criminals will prefer to wait for you to be home and rob your family at gunpoint (and get more items) than to break a window when you aren't there.

The middle class solution to this problem in Porto Alegre, seems to be to live in tower communities with an electric security fence and 24 hour guards. Effectively, becoming social prisoners with nice apartments.

So, I would define the safety of the country as pretty low. You should avoid walking around at night.

The corruption within all layers of the social system provides an umbrella for other crimes, notably violent crimes. The wealth gap, although vastly better in the last decade, exacerbates this. And the lack of equal, quality education combined with the lack of inter-class solidarity continues it.

It is NOT the USA. Esp for a woman alone. However if you are careful and learn the language you should be OK.

Ask my wife. Did you read what I wrote earlier? She is Brazilian and has been mugged 5 times. So learning the language is only going to help you understand faster that you are being robbed.

I had almost forgotten the feelings of total insecurity that I experienced when I owned a car here in Brazil. I gave up driving 8 years ago, and in terms of personal safety it was probably the wisest thing I've ever done. Owning any kind of a vehicle in Brazil, especially a relatively expensive one, or worse still an expensive motorcycle is simply so risky as to constitute an open invitation to being carjacked or having your motorcycle robbed at gunpoint. I've used public transportation exclusively in Belo Horizonte, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and even in Manaus without incident. I don't miss driving at all and what I've saved in gasoline, maintenance, taxes and insurance over the years is more than enough to cover the costs of public transportation and taxi fares during that same period.

The key to driving safety here in Brazil is that you have to get into the mindset that you are potentially going to be carjacked or robbed at gunpoint any moment now, and plan ahead to prevent it. The easiest target, and the ones the criminals ALWAYS pick is the vehicle that is stopped in traffic and has no escape route. So how do you deal with that?

Tip No. 1.  First of all you need to learn how to "read" and understand traffic signals, how to adjust your driving to eliminate the need to come to a complete stop. Learn to read the traffic for at least 500 feet in front of you and anticipate what the traffic and the traffic signals are going to do. It that light 500 feet ahead is green now, then you have about a 70 percent chance that it's going to be red by the time you reach it. So rather than speed up, which will ultimately mean you'll get stuck at a red light even longer, SLOW DOWN, open a good gap between you an the cars ahead and keep on rolling slowly until the next green phase of the light. That stop you eliminated alone has saved you from being a potential victim. If somebody was waiting for a vehicle to stop at the light in order to rob them, or carjack them you weren't the target because you planned ahead, adjusted your driving and didn't need to stop.

Tip No. 2.  If all else fails and you must stop in traffic, ALWAYS leave yourself an escape route. NEVER stop so close to the vehicle ahead of you that you can't quickly maneuver out of danger. Make sure you leave at the very least enough room between you and the vehicle ahead that you can see it's rear tires on the road, if you can't then you're stopping way to close. Don't get yourself boxed in if you can do anything at all to avoid it. If cars are lined up bumper to bumper in one lane don't even think of putting yourself in a position of needing to stop alongside that wall of metal and the center divider. You're much better off to remain behind the line-up at a safe distance. If you're in the curb lane at least in an absolute emergency you could try and mount the curb and drive partially on the sidewalk in order to escape. At least that's a bit safer than risking a head on collision by crossing a center divider or centerline as your escape route.

Tip No. 3.  If your car doesn't already have dark tinted windows, consider having the darkest window film installed that you can. No matter what the extra cost keep your doors locked, windows closed at all times and the A/C running. Not being able to see into your car deprives the would-be bandits of any knowledge of how many people are in the car, they're going to move on to an easier target (someone who is alone, elderly, a female), they're not going to risk taking on a car that potentially could be occupied by 4 husky footballers just waiting for a good scrap. Just remember this, even crooks are afraid of the UNKNOWN.

Tip No. 4.  No matter how deliciously tempting that feeling of the wind blowing in your hair while driving may be keep those windows closed. Driving with your windows down is an open invitation to be robbed especially if you wear a reasonably expensive watch on your left wrist and have the tendency of resting your arm on the window. sill.

Tip No. 5.  Plan your trip even before you get in the car. Know EXACTLY where you're going, and also plan one or two alternate routes in case of any emergency situation. If you're not familiar with the area, then check it out on Google Maps or GPS well in advance. You never want to put yourself into a situation where you become lost and enter into a high-risk area by accident, this has gotten many people killed. You have to know the roads because you can't rely on signage anywhere in Brazil, it's either non-existent or the signs are so close to where you need to change directions that by the time you see them you've missed your turn. Knowing your route is ESSENTIAL especially during hours of darkness. If it's a choice of risking driving in unfamiliar territory after dark or delaying the trip until daylight, delay the trip.

Tip No. 6.  Never establish a routine for your daily commute to and from work. Leave and arriving home at different times and take different routes every single day. Make them completely RANDOM and unpredictable to anyone who may be watching you. Many carjackers "scope out" their victims for some time before striking. The knowledge of the victim's pattern is their biggest tool. Don't give it to them.

Tip No. 7.  Steer well clear of motorcycles, remember that 80% or more of the violent crimes in transit are committed by two individuals on a motorcycle. The passenger (garupa) is the armed "attacker" and while probably armed as well, the pilot is mainly concerned with controlling the bike at all times to make a quick getaway. Don't let motorcycles creep up on your driver's side if at all possible. Switch lanes abruptly, suddenly reduce speed, speed up... whatever it takes.

Tip No. 8.  Scan your mirrors constantly!!! Your car MUST have 3 mirrors, the windshield mount rear-view mirror and side mirrors both left and right. If you don't have a right side mirror have one installed here it is your lifeline. Never fix your gaze anywhere for more than 2 seconds, make a sweep of all three of your mirrors constantly. You have to know what's ahead of you, beside you and behind you at ALL times. The more you can see what's going on all around your vehicle the safer you are.

Tip No. 9.  Avoid blind spots like the plague. Don't drive close to large vehicle that block you vision, stay well behind them. If a large truck is behind you do whatever you need to do in adjusting your driving to prevent him from getting close enough to become a big blind spot for you. Remember that large vehicles are a moving wall that can potentially hide all kinds of dangers. The crooks know how to position themselves between that moving wall and their victims to maintain an element of surprise. You've got to be smarter than they are to stay out of harm's way.

Tip No. 10.  Driving at night in cities, remember that in most Brazilian cities the general rule of thumb is if a traffic signal isn't already switched over to flashing amber phase, most drivers will not stop at a red traffic signal late at night. It's much safer to slow down as you approach a traffic signal and once you can see it is safe to proceed keep right on going despite the red light. Stopping for a traffic signal at night exposes you to extreme danger. Just remember that the guys coming in the other directions aren't likely to stop for a traffic signal either so you've really got to be on the lookout for any approaching vehicles at intersections.

Drive smart, stay alert and stay safe!!!

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James

No i did not read your post at first, but after reading it, I offer my sincere regrets for the troubles that you and your wife experienced.Before I retired here to Brasil, I looked into the conditions here. I decided against living in the obvious cities-Rio, Sao Paulo.

I chose a city that had a more diverse economic base and no favelas. My visits here over 20 years showed me that the people in my chosen city were well traveled, many having lived in the States or Europe for many years. Upon returning home these travelers were determined to bring what they learned to Brasil.

Recently there has been a migration from Sao Paulo to my city. The reasons are what you have mentioned and a better quality of life.

I guess what I'm saying is, Live in Goiania and visit Rio.

Living in Bahia for a decade now, 6 years in Salvador.
Security ? NO way.
The level of unsecurity no worse than other countries ? Really ? REALLY ??
Look at Brazilian television, programs like 'Cidade Alerta' and ... come again.
Even if I am well connected to my environment with a sound 360 awareness sometimes trouble gets to you faster than you think. Last year I dodged a bullet that went 2cm over my head whilst my partner (a local baiana) was being assaulted (allready her 6th time ...)
Allthough I am coping with the situation I am afraid one day I am going to be so fed up with this and I will say 'goodbye Brazil, sorry I came' moving on to another country.

BTW James, your TIP n°3 about TINTED CAR WINDOWS, already prohibited by law for more than a year, if the PRF stop you for control, not only you will have to take it of immediatelly before they let you continue (I have seen that on the road here) and you have a BIG fine of some 240R$ ...
Besides that you gave an interesting list of tips  :top:

Greetz

Ivan

James I totally agree with your safety tips for driving in Brazil but for me (at least in Fortaleza), Driving is still much safer than walking and using public transports. So for me the number 1 tip is : use a car (or a taxi) if you can.  Actually we could say that driving IS very risky but for another reason : road accident. I believe the statistics say : 50 000 homicides per year and 50 000 related trafic per year...so choose your death!

I have been going to Brazil since 2002.I was robbed on the beach at 5 am and I was drunk and alone.This could of happened in any city in the world.The difference was if it were in LA or NY.I PROBABLY WOULD OF BEEN KILLED.I fought the guys and got my watch back and lost my fake wallet of 10 reals.I have noticed Rio is getting much worse and many of my friends are moving from Rio.Because of cost and crime and pollution. I felt safe in Floripa,Cabo Frio,Natal and Fortaleza but never in Bahia.I feel Rio is changing for the worse.It has a different vibe to it !!But using common sense helps out a lot and never being alone.

This will be a big thing for me.Growing up in Texas and being able to drive is a freedom I won't give up. Getting robbed in our trucks almost never happens but we are allowed to carry guns legally.This is the main reason nobody is stupid enough to try and rob us! I know several expats in South America that drive with a gun for protection but I don't want to go to a Brazilian prison .Too bad Brazil isn't like Panama .In Panama expats can on and open carry guns.

I once got lost in Salvador on the way to the airport....in a "not grea"t area ...in a rental car at 2am ....missed a turn off and the gps lead me up a steep dead end alley.....scary but nothing happened

You ask some complex questions that I will attempt to answer.
1) Do you feel safe in Brazil?
I've traveled back and forth to Brazil since 2000.  I lived in Sao Paulo from 2088 to 2012.  Did I feel safe when I lived there? Yes.  Does that mean it's relatively safe versus say New York, London, or Vancouver? No. While most any city will have areas one would not travel in due to the high rates of crime both violent and non-violent, there is no question that cities like Sao Paulo and Rio have a disproportionately higher number of areas that one would consider unsafe than say a New York City(where I am from).  There are almost no areas in New York City that I would not be afraid to walk alone at any time of day or night.  The same cannot be said for Rio or Sao Paulo.  The rates of violent and non-violent crime as measured by incidents per say 100,000 persons are much higher in almost every category in almost every location in Sao Paulo and Rio than they are in cities like London and New York.  This does not mean you cannot be safe and it does not mean you should be discouraged from traveling to Brasil.  As numerous posts have suggested, there are various ways to minimize your chances of being the victim of a crime.  I will not go into those in this post.

2) Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear? 
This question is completely location dependant.  The answer would be yes for some parts of both Rio (Leblon for instance) and Sao Paulo (Rua Oscar Frerie or Villa Nova Concessao and others) and a resounding NO particularly at night for an extremely large number of parts of both cities where by doing so you would be greatly increasing the chances of being a crime victim.

3) Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?
I do not think but rather know there is a high(er) rate of crime, social problems and tensions in Brazil than in many other countries.   There are a number of indices that do a comparison of crime rates globally and are easy to find on Google.

All in all Brazil is a wonderful place and one should not be discouraged from visiting.  However one does need to be aware that crime rates are higher in most places in general and one should take the necessary steps to minimize the chances of being a victim of crime.  These steps go beyond what one what do if visiting say a New York City or a London.

I'm back in Brazil for a few weeks. I stay in Copa when I'm in Rio. I was Rio for a week, now I'm in Macae for a few days before heading back to Rio. With the economy getting worse lately, I wasn't sure what to expect, but Rio felt the same as last time I was here, which was last year, except perhaps it's somewhat quieter. In all the times I've been here, I have never been accosted or felt threatened. The only time I felt it necessary to divert my path to avoid a possible situation was to avoid some known "problem people" along avenida atlantica on the opposite side from the beach.

I normally don't walk in from the beach more than a few blocks, only to walk to a restaurant. I do not dress conspicuously. I wear jeans or shorts, no jewelry. I carry my phone in my back pocket. My colleagues who are from Europe both claim it's much more dangerous in Rio recently and they never walk anywhere after dark. Maybe I'm taking a risk or have a false sense of security, but I feel safe walking.

I'm well aware of stories of crime, so it's not reasonable to deny the possibility. I know an American (a musician) who was shot in his car after visiting a bank in Barra. He and his family had been living in Barra for many years and they loved it here. Unfortunately, the wound left him paralyzed and he will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, so he has since relocated with his family to the USA. I don't think it's unfair to say it's less safe in Rio than in many other places but it's all relative. There are places in the USA where you could not pay me to walk alone at night (e.g., Baltimore, Camden, and so on).

It`is like winning the lottery , some get chosen others no , you just have to keep on trying  :top: