Safety in Belize

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Belize?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Belize and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Belize? Yes overall I feel safe in Belize.

How would you define the level of safety in the country? I will say mid level but that is a hard one as (just like anywhere) some areas are highly safe and some not at all.

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear? Yes but that does not mean a person should stop being aware of their surroundings. It was in the afternoon that I almost had a snatch and grab happen to me. (details below)

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?  I think these are all present factors. Crime can also be a factor because many make low wages and sometimes lack of planning towards slow season puts people in a desperate way.

Share with us your insight on safety in Belize and in the city you live in.
I live in San Pablo Area of Ambergris Caye and overall I feel safe in my neighborhood. If I go out at night I usually have a ride home or catch a cab. We also have a great private facebook neighborhood watch page and information gets shared about what is going on in our area and anything we need to be aware of.

Here are 3 blog posts I have written on Crime in Belize and staying safe over the 9 years I have lived here. I have had petty theft happen to me a few times in different places but nothing enough to make me feel scared or want to leave.

May 11, 2015
Romance to Reality and my showdown with a robber
http://tacogirl.com/belize-crime-romanc … -a-robber/

June 13, 2014
Tips for Surviving low season on Ambergris Caye
http://tacogirl.com/tips-for-surviving- … ize-crime/

May 31, 2012
From Crime to Cream puffs
http://tacogirl.com/move-to-belize/

I think it is important to define if one is concerned with crimes against property or crimes against persons.   I live on the mainland in Corozal, where there is significant poverty.  Poverty tends to lead to crimes against property, petty theft, purse snatching, which are all generally not life threatening.   Armed thugs are rare and generally caught after several weeks of terrorizing the Chinese merchants.     Most merchants in Corozal who have enough money on the premises are the Chinese grocery and hardware stores.    I lived in an area undergoing gentrification in the USA, that had a similar level of crime, so I would say that crime here is similar to that in an urban slum.   The major difference would be that gun control is very well enforced, so thugs are seldom armed with guns.     Drinking with domestic violence is common, fists and machetes causing damage.   I personally had 3 gallons of paint stolen off my front veranda when I lived in the country before I had dogs and my husband was in the USA.   I now have 4 dogs and husband is present.   I have had close friends who have suffered snatched purses, murder, burglary and malicious mischief.    We expats tend to practice preventative measures, such as high fences, noisy dogs, home after dark,  lock doors and cars etc.   Stay aware of our surroundings.   The criminal justice system is not particularly effective, with only a 12% clearance rate on reported crimes, with most crime unreported.    Unlike the USA, it is not possible to call the police and have them come to the area.  Going by the news and experiences of friends, the police act on tips about illegal drugs, major traffic accidents with injuries, and life threatening wounding.    All other crimes require the victim to go to the station and report after the fact.    I would not choose to be a single woman, living in the country without a pack of large dogs.

Good morning! My Min Pins think they're big dogs. You think they would qualify? Lol

Hi, I've read the post on the safety of living in Belize. I am retiring next year and I want to visit Belize for about 2 weeks because I'm considering retiring to Belize. I'm a single woman and I would like to spend about 6 months there once I fully retire but now that I read that it would be wise to get a few big dogs my concern is that it would be unfair to the dogs when I would leave for the other 6 months of the year. My question is would it be wiser for me to move into a condo instead of a house? I've lived in Texas for about 20 years and I was raised in Milwaukee, Wi., I was a police officer in Wi, so I'm aware of my surroundings and even here in Texas I don't venture into certain areas here. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

TacoGirl did a great summary!  Her thoughts are accurate for most of Belize.   In the Placencia area,  I feel quite safe in almost all settings.  The north end of the peninsula has a strong and active ex-pat community with neighborhood watch,  a Guard Net radio communication system and a very strong connection with the Belize Police.  Our active stance against crime has been very successful.   Similar to what someone else posted,  poverty leads to property crimes and that is true, to a very small degree, further south on the peninsula near the villages that have larger populations of poor people.

Over all I feel quite safe at home or traveling around Belize, better than I do in many U.S. cities.  Be wise,  Be aware and all will be fine.

Good morning,  or afternoon! There are places outside of Corozal,  orchid bay, or Consecoji  (?) Shores that  are gated. You may  want to check?  Orchid Bay is on the internet.

Thank you, I'll look on he internet

While Consejo Shores is mainly an ex-pat community it is not gated.

I was told several times to never travel alone. They suggest getting a guide to get around, My pack pack budget would have a strain for this kind of service. Is this necessary? Madeline2

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + not a dating website pls
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct