Safety in Austria

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Austria?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Austria and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Austria as a country is pretty much safe. You can walk down the road in Vienna during the day with out any fear, the same goes with the night time.

But like all major cities you have to be careful as there will always be pick pocketers around.

Use a money belt for holding passports and money. If you have a back pack, use a little padlock so they can't open it.

Little things like this and you will be fine. I find Austria more safe than my home country which is the UK.

I've been living in Feldkirch since September, and I can say my neighbourhood is pretty safe. I sometimes go to the supermarket without locking my door. Nothing ever happens.
I've heard that some places might have some issues. A colleague of mine got warned by his neighbours that to make sure the doors are always locked. So pretty much depends on the area.
On the road, things are also pretty safe here, but of course one should be careful as you would never know.

I live in Schladming, and everything here is safe. You can leave your flat/house unlocked, your bike in the street with no padlock etc. with no worry AT all, even when the Night Slalom is on, and thousands of visitors/supporters are in the town to celebrate slalom skiing. NO sign of ANY trouble or hooliganism. They all support different athletes, but NO animosity at all amongst the fans, resulting in a wonderful atmosphere in the town. The same went for the World Championships of 2013. The bigger cities, yes there is a very low level of crime ie Vienna or Graz, but are so rare, they are reported in the press, whereas England, there is SO much crime going on, not all of it is reported. We spent 6 weeks in Vienna and felt VERY safe whatever time of the day it was. We were aware of the bad reputation round the area of the Praterstern, and Ernst Happel sports stadium, but had no bad experiences. Obviously stations, large sports venues and the Praterstern as well as all major underground U Bahn stations are problem areas for pick pockets who come in on a daytrip from the east.

I am not sure how safe is safe... but one thing I observe, is the growing number of missing bikes. I loose mine the second time... a 2,000 euro was the first one... Bought a padlock with the third bicycle.

I presume you live in Vienna then!