American in Shanghai - looking for safe grocery stores.

Hello,

My boyfriend has relocated to China for about 9 months. He will spend about 9 months of out the year in China, and the other three months in Miami for the next several years. I'm his girlfriend and will go to visit him in the fall. I'm considering going with him for good, but we have a dog, and China is very tough to take an animal to, and my dog will not survive quarantine. My boyfriend is having a hard time adjusting to the food. Does anyone know of any stores that sell American food or protein/cereal bars/ safe and healthy snacks? Or grocery stores that sell safe food. We are used to eating a clean, healthy diet with fresh produce. I understand this can be hard in China. Tips on where to go from the Expat's is greatly appreciated.

I don't know where you got your information from! But.....
Local fresh produce in China is as good as most anywhere else in the world - just make sure you wash everything,  unless it is peel removable. If you are really concerned - wash in boiled or potable water. I have been in China almost continuously since 2003. I wash food (not always!) in filtered tap water same you would do at home never yet (touch wood) had a problem in all those years.
There are several major supermarkets in Shanghai - Metro, Lotus, Carrefour, Safeway and many others. You should not find shopping for 'Expat' food a problem. Also, check out  online "City Weekend" - Shanghai email blog.
Basic food - meats, vegetables, fruit - are all the same as everywhere in the world; just served up differently and with different sauce, etc.  [Personally, I can't eat chicken neck, feet, intestines!!!].
I feel the biggest problem you are going to have is fitting in with your - soon to be - new home base and culture. If you can, you will enjoy your time in China.
I'm a British Expat. Any more Expats got comments?

you will never get the same brans unless you spent 5 times above for any foods like coffee or cheeses fresh fruit isn't a problem if all you eat is veggies your ok, but nothing that we have in europe or usa can compare

Thanks everyone! I'll look into all these options.

Ok. Order bottled water from Nestle only. They have a super duper filtration system. Supermarket Ole at Kerry Center is a good grocery store. Or if you can order online, go to Kate & Kimi, Fields ((but be careful- things that are labeled organic sometimes actually aren't), or Epermart. Also, invest in a really good air filter. These things are the basics for survival. If you have any more questions, message me! douglas

Thanks Douglas! I'll look into this!

There's a Safeway in Shanghai? Where?

I found the cheap restaurants everything was very fresh. I only got sick consistently at the expensive ones. Go to the ones you can pick and point It costs normally 15 to 20 yuan a meal with beer.

????
sorry weird question (at least from the subject and description)

Nan Qiao Town - Think - Lotus supermarket.
Oooops, maybe meant Tesco not Safeway.
Sorry

@Burchy, Right to the point!!! Totally agree!

@shanghailou2004, not sure what do you mean (or how you compare). If you take Spaghetti in Itally, then in Germany, then in Sweden, then in USA - those will All taste differently!
"5 times the price" is not true, usually double at the most. But then again - why do you always have to have USA made product? There is nothing wrong with local food (well not much differences from food quality in the Western countries).

where ever you go, chicken is chicken, pork is pork, &etc, etc, It is just served up differently - hence the beauty of international travel.

Hello  and welcome, checkout this post, it covers food/groceries as well as orienting yourself to shanghai - happy to help if you have more questions/concerns...

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external links not allowed.