How to find nice accomodation

Hi everyone,

I am Trent from Australia, I am looking at moving to Kep in roughly three - four weeks time and I would love it if someone could help me out with how to find nice accomodation? I am happy to pay up to $600pm for a really nice place, I am moving by myself so would like it to be secure also.

I am only 26 years old, been a financial adviser for the past 7-8 years and just waiting to finish up my current job over the next two weeks, secure nice accommodation and get away.

I would be interested in working in Kep also if anyone has any great leads however this is of no rush, I can survive for a while before having to work.

Thank you in advanced all for your replies :)

FunkyFinesse wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am Trent from Australia, I am looking at moving to Kep in roughly three - four weeks time and I would love it if someone could help me out with how to find nice accomodation? I am happy to pay up to $600pm for a really nice place, I am moving by myself so would like it to be secure also.

I am only 26 years old, been a financial adviser for the past 7-8 years and just waiting to finish up my current job over the next two weeks, secure nice accommodation and get away.

I would be interested in working in Kep also if anyone has any great leads however this is of no rush, I can survive for a while before having to work.

Thank you in advanced all for your replies :)

Please check out the housing section at the top f this page for accommodation. There is also a jobs section there too where you can place your CV for free.

Hi Trent,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic with your introduction on the Cambodia forum.

Concerning your accommodation search, i invite you to have a look at the housing in Cambodia section, also post an advert there. ;)

my advice when renting in Cambodia ( and a few other countries ) is to never rent a place where the landlord is living right next to the tenant ( or the floor below / above etc ).  in some cultures landlords tend to be very nosy, chatty and just minding your business / in and outs 24/7 especially if you bring guests at home; or what kind of job you have ( how much money you make ).

make sure to visit a place you intend to rent twice; once in the early morning and once in the evening.  there could be a small factory, warehouse, small school or training facility, construction or renovation nearby.

some landlords are downright scammers; they'll pretend a 6 month contract ( maybe even 3 ) plus one month deposit.  but the minute the tenant moves in, they'll try to annoy him daily so as to leave and forfeit the deposit, until a new tenant comes in and so on.  they make more money this way and the property will require less maintenance over time.  one can try to negotiate a one-month-testing period to see if they like the property / area before committing to a 3 or 6 month contract.   

landlords will ask for a copy of the tenants passport ( fair enough ) but don't give them a copy of your visa; its none of their business and they could utilize an expired visa as an excuse to vacate the tenant and thus forfeit the deposit.

landlords will declare a lower monthly rent on the contract in order to pay less taxes.

scrutinize the property for any damages, cracks in the walls etc and point them out to the landlord ( or take pics with date and time ); some will blame the tenant for those "minor" damages.

try to avoid using real estate agents; they get half of a months rent from the landlord and will try to hike the rent as much as possible.  if you say that your budget is $500 a month, they'll take you to see $350 to $450 properties.  Or they'll show you one nice place and 10 crappy places so as to make you think you got the best property on the market.  if you need to use real estate agents then try to speak with more than one to see whats available on the market and what are the price ranges.  never show them that you're in a hurry to get out of the hotel / guesthouse and finding a place.   and ask them for a copy of the contract they intend to use; and then take your time by reading it over and over so as to know what you're signing. 

electricity is expensive in Cambodia, if you plan on using an AC ( moderately ) budget $100 to $150 a month for bills.  make sure to take the reading of the meter the minute you step in and make SURE that you're the only one using that meter and that you're paying the standard rate from the utility provider.

generally speaking, its always best to rent in a structure similar to a condo with a manager responsible for maintenance etc. but this option is not available everywhere and it might come at a premium; but at least you're paying for your peace of mind and safety. 

last word of advice is to not rush things and take your time searching; it can easily take a month before finding the ideal place.   

good luck.

Hi,

Before coming to Phnom Penh please read carefully about the country.
the weather specially. cambodia is hot. and people die of dehydration if they dont know how to take care of themselves. If you come from cold country watch out. This weather is not for you.

About looking for a house or apartment. It will be always good to stay in a gh or hotel for 2-3 days and then go search around that area. Please
take consideration to go to proper English speaking agents to avoid troubles and stress. and also please pay only when you agree  about the place. Normally you can pay monthly and the deposit of a month will be applied to your last month. Be sure your contract is in english read before you sign.
Please take note of the water and electric meter readings( number) for sometimes they overcharge you. also take concious of paying more electric . Turn off everything and see if the meter runs mean someone is connecting with your electric( stealing it)

Never pay any individual, pay office with the receipt be sure you kept them properly.

When walking around be sure bring bottle of water with you. If you are heavy drinker and like going to clubs and pubs.. avoid going out and home very late its not safe.

Always ready a change  never show off your money to safety yourself.
Avoid eating street food to avoid food poisoning. It is always best you
cook your own food.

Welcome to Cambodia. Be safe, Be Healthy, Respect the country and people . We love you to enjoy it here.

Very well said.  Perfect and the best advise you can give people.