Drinking & Driving

So at weekend the police had a purge on this problem  in the Pahos area - and over the three days they stopped over 1600 cars and charged over 130 drivers for D&D - at €200 a pop thats not a bad little earner.

I wonder how many failed due to the new lower alcohol levels

So what do you think

You must be 100% to drive properly.
Booze slows you down.

what are the new levels toon?

I don't drink so I always drive if my husband has had one alcoholic drink - why can't other people do the same? If a group of people go out one can be a designated driver and if they all want to have a drink then get a taxi to and from home. However, this is rather a simplistic approach as alcohol levels can still be high the following day. Same applies to taking drugs.

it is indeed simple but alas people are people and they make lousy decisions

LONDONCHAP wrote:

what are the new levels toon?

not 100% sure but i know they were dramatically reduced and linked to an age restriction too -  something to do with drivers under the age of 25 - not that that should make a difference!!!!!!

but if i recall the level is approx one third of what it was...

i will try and find it

this is what i found,,,,,,,,,,

Municipal Police
Most Municipalities employ their own uniformed police to enforce local bye-laws, traffic offences and parking.

Offence Targeting
target Police have a policy of targeting a different offence each month.

One month the target offence was, for example, one of smoking or allowing somebody else in the car to smoke if there is a passenger under the age of 16 present.

Drink Driving
The limit is lower than the UK.
The limit in Cyprus is 22 micrograms of alcohol per 100 milliliters of breath.
There are several mobile substantive breath test devices in Cyprus. These give the readout that is used in court.

The reading from 23 to 35 micrograms - fine €100 - 0 - 2 penalty points
reading 36 to 55 micrograms -fine €200 - 2 - 4 penalty points
reading 56 to 70 micrograms - fine €300 - 3 - 6 penalty points
Over 71 micrograms - Prison or fine between €150 - €400 will be determined by the court - 3 - 6 penalty points
Drunk in charge of a vehicle. Determined by the court

Alcohol
If you have a reading between 25 and 39 you will be detained until a responsible person is able to drive you and your vehicle away from the scene or Police Station. You will then be fined or taken to court.

Offences, Fines and Points.
Speed and Traffic Cameras
The speed and traffic camera system was deactivated on 21st September 2007. It would appear that several problems have been encountered in replacing them. It is not anticipated that the will be a speed camera system on the roads of Cyprus for the foreseeable future.

Fixed Penalty Tickets
Many offences are dealt with by way of fixed penalty ticket with a fine. They have introduced a hand held, centrally controlled, computer system for issuing the tickets. Those who refuse a ticket will be reported and a summons to court will follow. Fines are not collected by the officer at the roadside.

Hand Held Computer and Printer
If you are a visitor, the points don't effect you at present, but you should be aware that the EU, is currently trying to introduce an EU driving licence to make certain of the more serious traffic offences being prosecutable across its borders. It may take some time to get agreement.

Payment of Traffic Fines

Traffic fines are not paid to the officer at the roadside.

Offences, Fines and Points.
For some offences your licence can be endorsed with penalty points leading to a driving ban and revocation of your licence. Where penalty points apply the Police Officer is obliged to impose the minimum penalty in each case. For serious offences the driver will be reported and a summons to court will follow.

In the main the offences in Cyprus are similar to those in the UK and Europe.

but am sure there was a change to the laws a couple of months ago reducing the levels to about 9 - but am now wondering of that was related to the age grouping of under 25s.

editted
source http://www.cyprusdriving.net/police/Cyp … cement.php

found it

April 24, 2015 | Author admin

Μετά το ένα ποτό «έρχεται» το πρόστιμο! Μειώθηκε το επιτρεπτό όριο αλκοόλης από τα 22 στα 9 μίλιγκραμ για συγκεκριμένες κατηγορίες οδηγών. Προσπάθεια μείωσης των τροχαίων ατυχημάτων.
Ομόφωνα ψήφισε σήμερα η Ολομέλεια της Βουλής το νόμος για τη μείωση του επιτρεπτού ορίου αλκοόλης στα 9 μιλιγκράμ, για τους αρχάριους οδηγούς, τους οδηγούς μηχανοκινήτων δικύκλων, φορτηγών, λεωφορείων, ταξί και οχημάτων που μεταφέρουν επικίνδυνα φορτία.
Ωστόσο καταψηφίστηκε η τροπολογία του Προέδρου της Κοινοβουλευτικής Επιτροπής Συγκοινωνιών Αντώνη Αντωνίου για μηδενική περιεκτικότητα αλκοόλ στην εκπνοή ή το αίμα στους οδηγούς αυτών των κατηγοριών

After one drink “comes” fine!

(apologies for the translation)

Decreased permissible alcohol limit from 22 to 9 milligrams for specific categories of drivers. In efforts to reduce traffic accidents.
Voted unanimously today, the House of Parliament, voted on the law to reduce the permitted alcohol limit at 9 milligrams, for novice drivers, motorcycles drivers, trucks, buses, taxis and vehicles carrying dangerous goods.

However defeated the amendment of the President of the Parliamentary Committee on Communications Antonis Antoniou zero alcohol content to expire or blood drivers these categories

so guys and gals drive safe always....