OxyContin in Thailand

A little history, I was t-boned by a truck traveling at 40mph. That busted up my body pretty good and spent a year in the hospital. I admit this is a horrible narcotic but it is a godsend when used right for pain. I have 2 options take it to try and live some what of a normal life or not take it and spend the next 30-40 yrs in bed with pain. I tryed choice 2 for a while and it was horrible.

I am looking at traveling to Chiangmai and am wondering
1) I believe I can take up to a months worth of my prescription with the proportion containers and a Dr note, do I have to declare this at customs?
2) is it possible to stay past a month or bring more in?
3) can I go to the local hospital and get a refill to stay longer?
4) this worries me the most is if my prescription gets stolen
5) will I get into trouble with the police if I leave the prescription in the hotel and just take a days worth out with me during the day?
6) is there any other pain medication available at the hospital that I could get I case any of the above happen?

Thanks, I have asked this before on another site and was bombarded with replies as if I was a junkie.

Gptraveler wrote:

A little history, I was t-boned by a truck traveling at 40mph. That busted up my body pretty good and spent a year in the hospital. I admit this is a horrible narcotic but it is a godsend when used right for pain. I have 2 options take it to try and live some what of a normal life or not take it and spend the next 30-40 yrs in bed with pain. I tryed choice 2 for a while and it was horrible.

I am looking at traveling to Chiangmai and am wondering
1) I believe I can take up to a months worth of my prescription with the proportion containers and a Dr note, do I have to declare this at customs?
2) is it possible to stay past a month or bring more in?
3) can I go to the local hospital and get a refill to stay longer?
4) this worries me the most is if my prescription gets stolen
5) will I get into trouble with the police if I leave the prescription in the hotel and just take a days worth out with me during the day?
6) is there any other pain medication available at the hospital that I could get I case any of the above happen?

Thanks, I have asked this before on another site and was bombarded with replies as if I was a junkie.

A quick Google search turned up several versions of this document on Thai Embassy web sites(this is Sydney)
the document clearly mentions Oxycodone as a class 2 substance and may be imported into Thailand under strict controls..

The procedure for importing the drug under prescription is clearly outlined in the document. It matters not where you travel from or what citizenship you have. You can only bring in 30 days supply.

Oxycodone Thai Embassy Sydney.

Only one course of action here.
Call the nearest Thai embassy to yourself to inform them of your intention.
Send a copy of the prescription and, if possible, a letter from your doctor explaining your medical need.
They may ask you to send the same to the email address you already have.

That way, there is absolutely no potential for suspicion of drug smuggling.

When holding dangerous and/or commonly abused drugs in SE Asia, play safe.

the general rule is that visitors can only bring a month's supply of whatever meds they're taking along with the doctors prescription. 

does it have to be declared at the airport customs ? No.

where to get a refill ? you'll need a local prescription from a Thai doctor; some medications are only sold at hospital pharmacies under the instructions of the doctor.   

good luck.

gulfport wrote:

the general rule is that visitors can only bring a month's supply of whatever meds they're taking along with the doctors prescription. 

where to get a refill ? you'll need a local prescription from a Thai doctor; some medications are only sold at hospital pharmacies under the instructions of the doctor.   

good luck.

One would be well advised to declare any such (controlled) prescription drugs to Customs officials when entering the country, and present the prescription and a doctor's letter explaining the need - whether it is an official requirement or not. Much better to do that than have a Customs officer come across it while inspecting your bags and start asking pointed questions, which could end up as hours spent in Secondary Inspection, trying to sort things out. The very best rule of thumb to use about anything regarding international travel is to always have more documentation than you could possibly ever need for anything, be very open and forthcoming with all information, even if it is not asked for. You mentioning the drugs first indicates that you have nothing to hide, and that always scores big points with Customs people no matter where in the world you may travel.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

gulfport wrote:

good luck.

This is not true for the meds the OP mentions.
Read the link in my reply above. There is a set procedure for controlled drugs(that is controlled by Thai law).

Here is an extract from the document that clearly states such drugs need to be declared:

Advice for Travellers 

You are required to declare the medications you are carrying into/out of Thailand.

Please have all medications and documents ready with you for inspection,

Entry to Thailand: you need to present at the Red Channel
-
Exit from Thailand: you need to present at the Customs VAT Refund.
The documents should be kept with you throughout your stay in Thailand.

The medications should be kept in the original prescription bottles with the contents
clearly marked.

Not to sell or supply your medications to anyone.

Please do not assume that the medications which are legal in foreign countries are
also approved for use in Thailand. These products may be illegal in Thailand. In case
of your medications are prohibited to import to Thailand, consult your doctor.   

As requirements may change, you should check requirements for the
importation/exportation of medications prior to each visi

"honesty is the best policy" but there's no need to alarm anyone if the passenger is within the legal frame.

for example if a passenger were to carry 6 weeks worth of meds, rather than the standard 4 weeks supply; then i'd suggest them to declare the excess meds to be on the safe side. 

after that it'd depend on the officers discretion on whether to let the passenger keep his meds on the basis of their honesty ( medical condition ) or to confiscate the excess meds etc.

You can find list of medecines forbidden in Thailand on the website of Thai Embassy in France ( page 2 to 5 are in english with details, page 1 just introduction in french )

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/wp-content/up … ande-s.pdf

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I've gotten more information here in 2 days than 2 months😀. The only thing I found before was the 30 day rule but the application is new info.
I had big plans to travel the world before some ass texting and driving changed things.
If anyone finds out if I can get the mess in a Thai hospital please let me know cause if they get stolen I'm really screwed.

Thanks again

Oxycotin is not available in Thailand at least not in Chaing Mai. My wife had a hip replacement. I can not say enough good things about her treatment by the doctor , the hospital etc. However the only pain medication available was morphine based....she is allergic to morphine. We asked for oxycotin or anything other than morphine based pain medication. We were told that "oxy" was forbidden in Thailand...we were offered several alternative drugs. None of them being very effective, at least for her. Do not expect to find "oxy"  in Thailand. If there is any legal way for you to import "oxy" use it. I wish you the best, and understand that you are in pain,and that "oxy" is probably the best pain releif for you. If you have no allergic effect from morphine based drugs, I believe that you could find a doctor at one of the hospitals to write a "script" all the best. We all deserve to live a pain free life...

Sir, Send the question to the ask a lawyer at Thai Visa.
They know the law. Good health.
Gus

You cannot buy in 'Thailand. Tramadol-
Tramadex is all you can get for pain.   Opiod based available at any drug store. A good pain product.

The morphine in Thailand is time release, Tramadol worked better for me than the Morph.

I have been on tramodol for some time,  it is scary and addictive! I have weened myself down now!  Good luck!

You can legally buy a prescrpition here in Thailand. There are a few places in Chiang Mai and in Chiang Rai. I have had operations and have had M.S. Contin - Morphine sulfate continuous release for a while - this was a few years ago but it is still available, I am sure.

Contact me and I'll get you my M.D.'s phone and address.

Thanks again for all the information. I've decreased my dosage but after 7 days I'm back in bed.
Being on this is like having a 10lbs ball and chain around my leg. Thailand is not a place to mess around with for narcotics.