Really need some "hopeful' advise Re: Move to Rincon

So I have a small home in Rincon and am in the process of building another small home (on the same property). The home we are constructing is being built with as many energy and water efficient processes as possible. Obviously I have concerns for the island relating to crime,energy costs and the economy, but me feeling is that over the next decade there will either be major change in these areas OR the millions of "ex Puertoricans" will watch their island parents and heritage crumble into an abyss like Haiti.

I am able to rent the one house with no problem. Some of your posts discuss farming and self sufficiency were very good. I wanted to know if you had and any business ideas that I could look into as an ex-pat. I know the economy is horrible and may stay that way for several years

I am selling my home in New York and want to become homesteaded in PR to take advantage of Act 22 and 20.

Is there any internet or simple ways to make extra income? Are there any services that we (my wife and I) may want to start researching prior to our permanent move in 2 years??

I want to really just subsidize our pension with something extra. I would love if it its was environment related or holistic or even agricultural.

My computer skills are fair but I learn quickly. My wife and I are just burnt out of the NY rat race, we have no children and life is too short.

Do you see anything on the horizon that may be a wise area to look into?

Sorry for the broad question.

Steve M :top:

Dear Steve,

I live in Rincon and work from home.  My income is $20/hour because, for me, that is the choice I made.  Depending on skills, you and your wife could work on elance.com.  It is a freelance service.  There are a lot of options and jobs on there.  So, let me know if you want to learn more about elance.  I do have a PhD and research skills, which helps, but there are a lot of contract jobs that don't require the education.

Thanks,

Liz

PS  I live in the Estella community.  It is not fancy.  While it is lower income, I don't worry about crime at all.

Thanks so much for your response.
I will check that site!! :)

No prob. There are financial, writing, editing, virtual assistant, programming, etc. :)

You need to be careful in selecting to live in the country or in town.
Rincon is nice and tranquil and the driving is not so bad. I live in the mountains
About 15 kilometers of Mayaguez but the driving is horrible. I only go to town once every two weeks for my mail and groceries. I love to live in the mountains and I am farming coffee, plantains etc and I have my vegetable garden. Things are very different here in PR. If you want to buy a small farm or house let me know send your personal email address.

Knowing Spanish would help you get something in the economy or start a business. We do not know what skills you have or what interest you so it is hard to advice.

Two suggestions:
a) Renting property is an option
b) If you have a hobby, you can look into its potential commercial value.