First visit to Panama

Hey guys

I'm on a mini tour at the moment searching for my retirement home, next up on the list is Panama  :D  To save me trawling around or driving for miles can somebody advise a good area to live please? I enjoy a social life (aka few drinks lol) but don't want to be swamped with teenage clubbers (I'm 46). Want to be close enough to all amenities, but far enough away of that makes sense??? I don't want to drive for an hour for a pint of milk etc, but at the same time I don't want to be awaken by the bin men at 6am.

Close enough to bars/restaurants & near to people who enjoy a laugh. My first visit is likely going to be early next year, but it could be November this year.

Thanks in advance :)

You have perfectly described Pedasi. Small beach village of 2,000 with enough expats beyond their teenage years to be friendly. 3 great beaches within 5 minutes of anyplace in town, one big and several smaller grocery stores, Las Tablas - 30 minutes away with 2, soon to be 3 large grocery stores, Chitre - 1 hour away with many more stores. Always some rentals available, but not advertised, you have to come and ask. Stay at www.casalajagua.com, Craig and April are awesome hosts. Check out our blog about life here at mcmoller.wordpress.com and my buisness at www.mapsofcentralamerica.com

Bit of a hike from the airport mind

licinius wrote:

Bit of a hike from the airport mind

The "social" life as you're describing and what I think you're looking for at your age and with your interests (like mine) exists only in Panama City where a vibrant scene mixing locals with expats exists (e.g., the El Cangrejo district) with walking distance to everything you need.  Longer venturing throughout the city is easy by taxi or subway.  No beach though.  But, I'd rather have the convenience of city living and hit the islands or other beaches nearby when I want than live there year round or for an extended period.  If your goal is to walk, bus, taxi your way around (that is, not own a car) Panama City is it - and it offers a huge range of housing options.

Boquete is appealing to a lot of elderly expats wanting cooler climate with reasonable access to a larger city (David), suburban style housing options and regular contact with other expats and a fair amount of local amenities.  Somehow, I don't see that as what you're looking for.  If you live in Pedasi and elsewhere outside the city you will need a car - nothing much to walk to and regular trips to civilization (e.g., Chitre) will be necessary for essentials.   Consider, as you said, distance to airports and amenities and whether that degree of solitude is for you.  Panama does not have a reasonably sized beachfront community, that is, one with ample infrastructure, shops, restaurants and bars and other "necessities" allowing one to live comfortably in an ocean front city year round, IMO.

Agree 100% with SawMan.  Panama City is the ONLY place that fits your requirements.  PC is where the younger crowd lives.  Many expats come for work in the financial district rather than retirement.  I read that in PC, people over age 60 account for only 6% of the city's population. 

There is a great quote on this forum, by a contributor, Kristc99, on 19 March 2015, that best describes Panama:

"There is Panama City and then there is the rest of Panama.  They are very different experiences".

Check out YEP-Young Expats in Panama for info on social activities in PC.
www.youngexpatsinpanama.com

PacificaMaryAnn wrote:

Agree 100% with SawMan.  Panama City is the ONLY place that fits your requirements.  PC is where the younger crowd lives.  Many expats come for work in the financial district rather than retirement.  I read that in PC, people over age 60 account for only 6% of the city's population. 

There is a great quote on this forum, by a contributor, Kristc99, on 19 March 2015, that best describes Panama:

"There is Panama City and then there is the rest of Panama.  They are very different experiences".

Check out YEP-Young Expats in Panama for info on social activities in PC.
www.youngexpatsinpanama.com

At 46 I'm not really in the "youngexpatsinpanama" bracket lol, but I'm not ready for my cocoa & slippers either ;)

YEP is not just for young in age but for those who are young at heart, so they say.  They have more active social activities in PC than groups like The American Society of Panama that offers "hat making contests". I did not join either.   I am not into social clubs but the news letters keep us informed on what is going on in the city.