Things to do in Bangkok during the weekends

Hi,

What do you usually do on your weekends in Bangkok?

Are there any places to visit, any activities, any events or festivals regularly organized you would like to recommend?

What are your top tips for the weekend in Bangkok?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience, ;)

Christine

Floating market might be the good choice for weekend. You will see the traditional dessert, food and building.

Reference; bangkok.com/shopping-market/floating-markets.htm#

JatuJak Market widely known as JJ market is one of the biggest weekend markets in southeast Asia, you can shop almost every thing from t-shirts, handicrafts to Pets. Located near Morchit  Bangkok, its easily reachable via Bus, Taxi, BTS (sky train) and MRT (under ground).

If you like the open air then a trip to"Suan Luang Rama IX Park is recommended. Here is an extract from a blog I wrote about a visit there.

The park is located in Bangkok out towards Suvnarabhumi International Airport which probably makes it a relatively unseen part of Thailand for most tourists. It is also Bangkok's largest park and the home of the annual Bangkok Flower Show held in early December each year.

The park is large and has many themed gardens showing the unique landscape design from seven countries: China, Japan, Spain, England, France, Italy and USA. It is also the home to an amazing selection of Thai birds.

103 Sukhumvit Road,

Nong Bon Sub-district,

Phrawet District,

Bangkok 10250

A taxi from central Bangkok will show about 150 Baht on the metre for the journey.

Bus Route:

Bus No.135,145 Air-con No.145 Micro Bus No.15

Another site that many tourists don't know of is the fertility shrine dedicated to Chao Mae Tuptim.

Chao Mae Tuptim is a shrine dedicated to the Chinese deity of the same name.. It is rather a bizarre place as the grounds surrounding the shrine are bedecked with all manner of lingam (phallic) offerings.

You won't find directions to the shrine of Chao Mae Tuptim in your average guide-book and it's certainly not advertised locally. However if you would like to visit the shrine it is possible by entering through the Nai Lert Bangkok Hotel(Swissotel) grounds off Wireless Road, although it is not encouraged by the hotel management, it is possible, if you speak nicely to the security officers. There is also said to be a way of accessing the site from the rear of the hotel.

You can read more about Chao Mae Tutim here.

Suan Luang / Rama 9 park is great, but it's not on Sukhumvit, it's off Srinakarin Road, right beside the Paradise Park mall.  I think I've posted a picture of the main lake on here before but this site really isn't set up for photo sharing. 

I noticed on garden section with a sign about it being a regional example of landscaping but I'm not so sure it matched my old landscape architecture class descriptions.  The Japanese gardens are nice, and there are great park sections there related to a number of different things.

The Dusit zoo isn't so bad for an example of a botanical garden.  The Suan Luang / Rama 9 park was completed something like 20 years ago, so the growth has had some time to mature, and they would have had some trees as a starting point, but the Dusit zoo was a royal botanical garden converted into a public space in 1930 or so, so much more mature.  Seeing animals basically living in prison is not always a favorite but some of them have a lot of space and a good mix of artificial environment (rocks and trees), it's just that some seem a bit depressed about the whole thing too.  There are also paddle boats on a small lake there (as they have in Suan Luang), and a tram, different food options and vendors, and it's all really inexpensive.

Will one of these above buses cover area like Asoke BTS? I have not visited this park yet.