Things to do in Jakarta during the weekends

Hi,

What do you usually do on your weekends in Jakarta?

Are there any places to visit, any activities, any events or festivals regularly organized you would like to recommend?

What are your top tips for the weekend in Jakarta?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience, ;)

Christine

Here is an old link to a blog post I did regarding this a while back

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2011/ … a.html?m=0

Or this

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2015/ … y.html?m=0

Or this
http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2015/ … a.html?m=0

My blog is full of things I have done on a weekend so its a place to start for some.

This is very nice topic...i look forward to read replies... since i am new in jakarta and looking for friends...cheers .Hany

on sunday you can going to senayan and sudirman for CFD (car free day), every sunday many people go to CFD for jogging, running, cycling, etc, and there are also many event you can see.

As was mentioned, Car Free Day along the Thamrin stretch from around 6 am to late morning 10.30 am is highly recommended.
In the near future, when the MRT train system and Bunderan Hotel Indonesia (HI) Green Park are setup, there would be walkways along the roads for legalised roadstalls as planned.
It will be the centre for Central Jakarta, similar like Orchard Road in Singapore.

Another good place to go is Ancol.   https://www.ancol.com/
You are free to roam and wander around within a huge area.
Within there are many attractions as well that you can enter after paying an additional entrance fee.
From Theme Parks roller coaster, Ocean Animals, and Water Fun World.

There is a fabulous Bandar Djakarta live seafood restaurant that you gotta try at least once, when you are there.

I'm unsure about Ancol.
It's good for the kids but some of the places really know how to charge.
I was less than sure it was value for money so I hung in the van for the last things.
Taman mini is pretty good but I suggest taking a snack and eating outside the area.

Ancol can be good for kids and couples.
There is a beach mall with sand for kids to play with as well.
And Taman Kesenian for the art inclined with painters and such.

With Jakarta open spaces so limited, Ancol presents a different relaxing atmosphere that is within easy reach for all Jakartans, a brief respite.

I like to spend my Sunday afternoon at Taman Suropati, Menteng..
My daughter and i are trying to learn how to play violin and cello..they have musical classes as well as art classes there

Actually..we come to that park anytime we like..it is just like our second home..

I thought to visit but found disliking the smokers in Taman Suropati there.
Perhaps Taman Menteng would be better with a greater open area.

I am not aware of the art or music classes there. Is it Discovery?
Could you share some more information?

I have to admit that there are lotta smokers there..

I am also part of Suropati Art Community..
You are welcome to come for art classes such as painting,sketching,glass painting,even photography or music classes such as guitar,violin,flute,cello,and saxophone.. every sunday start by 2pm

And if you like music jamming kinda stuffs..feel free to join us( with your band,or just sing along with all the people there) every saturday night start at 8pm till 12..

Pm me for further infos
:)

This probably isn't for most people, but I find wandering around slums and rubbish dumps a very interesting experience.
As the late great Bob said, "My feet is my only carriage", and my camera my only companion. (Bob didn't say the last bit).
It's more than a little way out as far as 'things to do at the weekends' go, but it's an education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59kS2AOrGM

Car free day has become far too much like hard work. There are too many organised fun runs and nearly as many cyclists as people walking who have much skill as high school kids on motorbikes so for me I have given up with it.
I prefer to stay away from crowded events here as  everytime someone tries to touch my sons cheek I want to punch them as it is not very nice. Even worse is when they ask for photos of him. I have once or twice asked for photos of them in return but in underwear. Soon wipes the smile off their face.

lukereg wrote:

Even worse is when they ask for photos of him. I have once or twice asked for photos of them in return but in underwear. Soon wipes the smile off their face.

As a chilled out dude, I let them take the photos.
I also ask them for photos of them in their underwear but they tend to reject my suggestion, commonly telling me they aren't that sort of boy.

Back to those weekends.

I dislike Jakarta because it's so difficult to get in with the traffic being as it is.
For those who like a drink, there are plenty of bars in the various satellite towns, many with entertainment.
One thing we commonly do is go swimming with the kids, usually followed by a meal in whatever place Michelle fancies that day.

I am not fancy to car free day..
Just because i am committed to my bed that i won't leave it before 10am on Sunday..
And i am..a lady with her words

:D

Great post Christine.

It would seem that one of the most popular places for Jakarta folk to visit on weekends is the city of Bandung. Bandung is an amazing place and possibly one of the nicest cities in Indonesia and is just 2 - 3 hours drive away from Jakarta. It has a cooler climate than most other major cities in Indonesia with lots of small tree lined streets and old colonial bungalows. The Jakarta folk love to visit, especially when it drizzles as it is even cooler, for the many delicious foods that Bandung has to offer and for shopping for clothes as Bandung is famous for it's garment factories and many factory outlets and boutiques. The result of this invasion of Jakarta people is huge traffic jams on weekends and public holidays and many of the locals prefer to stay at home on weekends to avoid these jams.

One of my favourite places to visit in Jakarta on weekends is Kota Tua (the old town) where we can find museums, old colonial restaurants and derelict buildings commonly used by photographers to shoot models. Sunda Kelapa Harbour or PSK as we like to call it is also nice with it's long Bugis schooners and it is nice to take a small boat ride alongside these large boats.

Hi... at saturday mostly i will do sport, badminton

Hansson the next time you go to Sunda Kelapa, go to Batavia Marina and eat. The food is great and its just a great place to chill for an hour.

Currently for me, I like to take my little boy on the bus to a mall that has a train ride and sit with him while he shouts all the time. Then an ice cream and back home in a taxi. Thats enough.  Thats tiring enough.
I will be taking him to the Mangroves at PIK in the new year and start going on the train with him but I need clearance from the wife as she is not so keen with that bit. Then we can just go round the city. Bit like the bus but faster.

Spend my time on a coffee shop around Senopati (tons of comfy coffeeshops here)i, SCBD (try Goodsdiner), or Kemang (you should try komunal88) and scroll trough** to find ideas for my next trip exploring Indonesia - or just educate myself about Indonesia from the articles!

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : promote external link is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Last weekend i went to Bogor, its really nice little homy town. Weather is nice, probably the best landmark i liked, is the huge Bogor park with the Presdential Palace in the heart of it ... Second best Place is the top food court of Lippo Plaza, its all Indonesian Traditional food restos with fantastic view of the city, u can even see the Ciawi Mountains from the food court.