How I can get a work permit or work in Thailand with a Thai mom?

Hi,
I am just returning back to Thailand from two years ago when I attended school here in 2013. Does anyone know where and how I can get a work permit or work in Thailand with a Thai mom? Before I tried looking into Novotel, IBIS, Sivitel, Sofitel, and other Accor or IHG Brands or looking into local jobs in the Thai Airport. I was told to look into the Labor office, but I don't know where that is. Any help or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks for your help!

Hi sassybluenet,

Welcome to expat-blog! :)

I moved your post on the Thailand forum so as you get more feedback. For the work permit, i recommend you read the following article : Working visa in Thailand from the Living in Thailand guide.

However, for job, you will have to browse the Jobs in Thailand section of the website, see the offers and maybe create your own cv to find a job which match your expertise.

Best of luck,
Bhavna  ;)

1-Your Mom is Thai and you are not?

In that case you have to find a job first and then go to labor ministry which is situated near Din Daeng intersection in Bangkok, apply for a work permit as all other foreign nationals do, you need supporting documents from your company, a valid passport and non-immigrant visa and your Thai mom have nothing to do with that.

2-Your Mom is Thai and you are her legitimate child, then you are Thai, you do not need a work permit.

Thai people also need work permits. depend of job they are doing.

StevanDr wrote:

Thai people also need work permits. depend of job they are doing.

Work Permit for Thai citizens? In Thailand? I am sorry StevanDr, how come please explain?

Job as nurse, lab technician and lots of others needs to be certify and then you can get a permit to work in these kind of fields.

StevanDr wrote:

Job as nurse, lab technician and lots of others needs to be certify and then you can get a permit to work in these kind of fields.

I think you are mixing work permit with something else, it goes like this, if you are nurse then you should be a certified nurse and if you are a certified thai nurse, you dont need a work permit to work in your own country.

yes, certification and validation of diplomas obtained abroad is important process for some professions inside of thailand.
You cannot be a pharmacist ( with foreign degree ) in here if you dont nostrificate, validate and get a licence.

If there is a case which,

My mother was Thai, And I'm Malaysia citizens. My father was Malaysian. He was passed away when I'm 9. more than 10 years ago.

When I was small, I being registered as Malaysia citizens. But my mother had my Thailand birth certificate. At that particular of time. They had signed some letter to appoint my father to take care of me.

Now is the question.

1) Can I go to certain department to re- register my Thai citizenship ?
(Cause my cousin from Singapore also did that, but im not sure where they got Thai citizenship before. But for the years, they stay in Singapore. Just move to Bangkok currently. And they got their Thais citizenship.)
2)Any other ways to avoid National Services if I success to gain my Thai citizenship?

3)If I get my Thai citizenship here, Do I need to let go my Malaysia citizenship?

Go straight to the source for these type of questions. First and foremost, connect with a reputable law firm who can answer you questions and see what the process would be...Siam Legal or google up law firms Thailand and make an inquiry via email..

As long as one parent is a Thai citizen, then the child will always be a Thai citizen, regardless of place of birth.

You need copy of Thai birth certificate, which can be obtained at Amphor where born if you do not have, person and their house blue book in which you will be registered.  Go to the Amphor and they will register you and issue Thai ID card.  After that you can obtain a Thai passport if you like.

If you were born outside of Thailand then you will need to take that countries birth certificate to Thai embassy in that country and have registered and they will issue Thai birth certificate.

Hello KCFong,

Let me comment on your questions based on some understanding that I have.

1) As long as you have proof that you are a legal child of your Thai mom, you should be able to claim Thai citizenship.

2) There is no requirement for compulsory national (military) service for Thai citizen. This is not Singapore or South Korea.

3) Officially Thai government does not recognize dual citizenship but the enforcement of this principle is not that strict. In fact, there are many Thais who have other citizenship. it is Malaysian government who would not allow its citizen to hold more than one citizenship. Therefore, it is the Malaysian side that you should be concerned about.

Hope that helps.

Peder

KCFong wrote:

If there is a case which,

My mother was Thai, And I'm Malaysia citizens. My father was Malaysian. He was passed away when I'm 9. more than 10 years ago.

When I was small, I being registered as Malaysia citizens. But my mother had my Thailand birth certificate. At that particular of time. They had signed some letter to appoint my father to take care of me.

Now is the question.

1) Can I go to certain department to re- register my Thai citizenship ?
(Cause my cousin from Singapore also did that, but im not sure where they got Thai citizenship before. But for the years, they stay in Singapore. Just move to Bangkok currently. And they got their Thais citizenship.)
2)Any other ways to avoid National Services if I success to gain my Thai citizenship?

3)If I get my Thai citizenship here, Do I need to let go my Malaysia citizenship?

Here is the link of Thai Nationality Act 2008 (CHAPTER 1 is for you)

http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs3/THAILA … ty_Act.htm

pederlaw wrote:

2) There is no requirement for compulsory national (military) service for Thai citizen. This is not Singapore or South Korea.

Peder

If any male below the age of 30, acquire  Thai Citizenship, then he MUST register for compulsory national military  service, exemption is been given UNTILL one is residing in a foreign country.

after you have worked for a company for a few months, they will usually have to offer you a WP - it can take a probation period however before they offer it because it costs a lot and they have to pay it, i think its around 50,000 baht so they want to be sure you are good for them.