Affordable Official Translator needed in Campinas /Sao Paulo Area

Hi
I am looking for an affordable translator to Translate a short contract (3 pages , not much text , marriage related)
From English to Portuguese

Campinas would be Ideal , or anywhere in the greater São Paulo Area - I have it scanned and ready to go

Does anyone know what to pay for such a service , It's not expensive to have documents translated from Portuguese to english in my home country

Regards
Steve

Answered on your other posting but here's the link again.

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=Trad … T4AdP_mIAM

Shop around for prices, translators charge a King's ransom.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I payed 1000 R$ with the sedex ( SP - BH ) for 10 pages  and despite the price , the translation has allot of mistakes .  In one page he even wrote my name wrong .  :huh:

Exactly right Claudio!!! It's surprising what passes for sworn translations here in Brazil, the standards (if there are any) certainly are not very high. To be honest, my level of Portuguese is about 10 times better than the level of English of most translators whose work I've seen and I do translations (unsworn) that would put them to shame. Some of the errors that I've seen in Eng > Port and Port > Eng translations in my years in this country would make you cry they are so glaring. I have often thought of checking out the bureaucracy involved in becoming a sworn translator here since it's a license to print money.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I checked what it takes to become an official translator , and seems we have to get the citizenship first  , then an exam for the language we want to translate , the strange thing is,  they allow the dictionary in the exam ,so imagine the quality afterwards ... :o

Steve,

Exactly what kind of a contract are you thinking of having translated? If you're takling about a Pre-nuptial Agreement then you should be aware that it may NOT NECESSARILY need to be a "sworn translation" and you can probably find a model of a document in Portuguese in PDF or MSWord format on the internet.

Are you talking about a contract that has ALREADY been entered into, or one that WILL BE entered into here? If the contract is one that is NOT YET in effect then I'd suggest using a model form, they're free....... FREE IS ALWAYS GOOD!!!

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

ClaudioD wrote:

I checked what it takes to become an official translator , and seems we have to get the citizenship first  , then an exam for the language we want to translate , the strange thing is,  they allow the dictionary in the exam ,so imagine the quality afterwards ... :o

I've just looked at the law that governs sworn translators, which was written in 1943 and has remained virtually unchanged since that date. On it's face it seems to violate the Federal Constitution of 1988 which is crystal clear about EVERYONE being equal before the law, and the rights of both Brazilians and foreigners to exercise any kind of work, that is permitted by law and not reserved specifically for born Brazilians.

Since there is absolutely no regulation or oversight of the profession, once authorized by the Commercial Board in a state to act as a translator, and there is NO REQUIREMENT whatsoever that the individual possess any kind of diploma or certificate in the language; in theory someone who was born and raised in Lower Slobovia and learned both English and Portuguese there (neither of which are the mother tongue), could simply by virtue of naturalizing as a Brazilian have the legal right to act as a sworn translator if they passed the test. This is absolutely ridiculous and now I understand exactly why translations in this country are so horrible.

Cheers,
James

Hi Steve

A fellow South African here, living in Campinas. Try these guys, [email protected]
Tel. (19) 3236 6697

They situated in Campinas near Ponte Preta's football stadium.

Take care
Naeem