Urban Legends of Ecuador

Urban legend #1:  To obtain full citizenship after being an official resident in Ecuador for three years, you must successfully sing the Spanish-language national anthem.

Nards found a Q-and-A somewhere on the Internet appearing to state this is so.  Despite being a declarative sentence, that actually was the Q.  As of today, there was no A.

I looked for but did not find corroboration of this urban legend on the Web.  The Pro Ecuador blog has translated the citizenship requirements posted at the EC foreign ministry pages, and singing the national anthem is not listed.

Urban legend #2:  Taxis with white license plates are not legal.

I read this in so many places I believed it was true.  For months, I did not accept a ride in a white-plated taxi.

Then I discussed it this week with a group of police officers.

They said the white plates are fine, the color difference is just to distinguish fleet taxis from independents.

I apologize for repeating this urban legend earlier, on another thread.

cccmedia in Quito

A poster on the Citizenship thread challenged the urban-legend status of the anthem singing (alleged) requirement.  Posting from northern California, USA, she said she knows of some recent EC citizenship applicants who were required to sing, or else.

If you challenge it here, kindly provide more than anecdotal 'evidence' of what others told you about their citizenship test...namely, a link to a government website that states such a requirement or other reliable, checkable proof.

Of course, if you personally sang the Ecuadorian national anthem in front of a citizenship panel, we would love to read every detail of that experience.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Of course, if you personally sang the Ecuadorian national anthem in front of a citizenship panel, we would love to read every detail of that experience.

cccmedia in Quito

The clincher would be if someone could record their effort on one of the increasingly popular cell phones manufactured in Ecuador and post it for all of us.

cccmedia wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

A poster on the Citizenship thread challenged the urban-legend status of the anthem singing (alleged) requirement.  Posting from northern California, USA, she said she knows of some recent EC citizenship applicants who were required to sing, or else.

If you challenge it here, kindly provide more than anecdotal 'evidence' of what others told you about their citizenship test...

The man who wrote the book on this subject, Dom Buonamici of the Ecuador Real Estate website, has put this urban legend to rest.

Singing the national anthem or hymn of Ecuador is not an official requirement for Ecuadorian citizenship.

In an email today to me, Nards and probably thousands of his other subscribers, Dom writes:

"You will have to sing the Ecuadorian hymn, but that is when you already have been accepted, and you won't be by yourself (but) with everyone else sworn in that day...."

When I say Dom wrote the book on this, I am referring to The 2015 Citizenship and Second Passport Test Cheat Sheet which he just published.

source: Dom's e-newsletter and www.ecuadorrealestate.org

Kudos to eagle-eyed VIP member Nards Barley for spotting this in said newsletter and bringing it to our attention on the Ecuador forum. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

Agreed, you do not need to sing the anthem (from recent personal experience)
Vaya con Dios