HOW SAFE PNG?

Hi to all may Kababayans,

Just want to ask if how safe is PNG is? Cause i will be there by the month of August 2015..it was my first time to work abroad, and i don't have any idea about the safety, cost of living, basic salary rate?

i had an employer which is a Filipino to. he hired me for  there company as Architectural Draftsman, and he offered me 2800 KINA as my monthly salary including food allowance (after tax).. just want to know if this compensation is well enough to stay in PNG?may accommodation shouldered by my employer...

i really appreciated you're help...

mikebaste21 wrote:

Hi to all may Kababayans,

Just want to ask if how safe is PNG is? Cause i will be there by the month of August 2015..it was my first time to work abroad, and i don't have any idea about the safety, cost of living, basic salary rate?

i had an employer which is a Filipino to. he hired me for  there company as Architectural Draftsman, and he offered me 2800 KINA as my monthly salary including food allowance (after tax).. just want to know if this compensation is well enough to stay in PNG?may accommodation shouldered by my employer...

i really appreciated you're help...

That amount is far too low. It only equals US$998 even if he is providing accommodation. Your salary alone should be about US@1800 a month = 80,000 pesos
  For cost of living try www.numbeo.com 
A far as safety is concerned you just need to be aware of where you are, go out with someone not by yourself. Be careful around banks if using ATM. Do not wear flashy jewelry, do not carry a lot of money around and show it around.

Your employer should provide the following

A good salary tax paid.
Fully furnished accommodation with power, water, etc paid for and with good security.
Food allowance
Medical insurance cover
Transport to and from work
Annual flights home

He should also cover the costs of all visas and permits.

I suggest that you also read the many posts in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page for information.

I agree that the salary is really low for an expat, especially a draftsman.  That is less than $1000 USD per month.  My wife and I spend around $500-$600 a month of food.  A decent lunch in a rest. will cost K15-30. You will also have to consider transportation and clothing, plus other personal items and any entertainment.  Basically you will just get by without too much left over unless you are very thrifty. You certainly won't be able to save much. 

We have been in PNG for 1 year in POM, we have not had any problems, but we also pay attention to where we go and what is going on around us.  You should be fine if you keep in mind that it can be dangerous if you are careless.

thank you so much guys for sharing your info... i haven't yet sign my contract, i will ask my employer regarding this so he would knew that am aware regarding to the compensation and security