Buying a property as a Mauritian

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a property in Mauritius with my husband, however, my husband is not Mauritian but I am.

will we be able to buy the property jointly or is it better for me to buy it on my own (having the property just on my name) ?

if we can buy jointly are there extra cost involve considering my husband is non Mauritian?

thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Hello,

Given that your husband is a non-citizen, he will not be able to acquire any property in the country under his personal name.

It will be much better for you to buy it on your own, in your name.

thanks hafeez.toofail

I thought that might be the case.  I guess I will have to buy on my own and then once he has acquire his Mauritian citizenship we ll change the deed to include his name on it.

hi
you can add him to the contract as he is spouse of a mauritian. have inboxed you.
cheers

Charlotte-roch wrote:

thanks hafeez.toofail

I thought that might be the case.  I guess I will have to buy on my own and then once he has acquire his Mauritian citizenship we ll change the deed to include his name on it.

This may help you :

Holding of immoveable property by inheritance or effect of marriage to a citizen under ‘régime legal de communauté'.

Dear Madam,

you can buy the properties on your personal name but as your husband is a foreigner his name will be on the title deed unless he is married officially with you in all hands.

If you are married with separation of property only your name will figure on the tile deed

Thanking you.

Best Regards

Vishal Seegoolam

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free advertising on the forum please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct