Trouble Finding a place to live

Hi all

I've been in malta for a month or so and have settled well with my family thanks to all the helpful advise received from people on here..

I knew finding an apartment in Qawra was gonna be tough at this time of year but I wasn't expecting the letting agents to be as bad and unhelpful as they are, perhaps it's because they're concentrating on the people that are not as well informed as we are.

This leads me to my question, do any of you have any contacts in this area that might be able to help me find an apartment for me and my family? I'm not in desperate need as staying comfortably with family but really want my own front door as soon as possible but don't fancy hanging around till October / November when I know apartments are much easier to come by.

Thanks in advance all

Tom

Hi Tom
ive just arrived here myself and all the letting agencies don't seem to be up to much plus they charge half the first months rent as an admin fee......
Im in Mellieha and im finding it tough to rent as well
You could try Frank Salt as they have more properties than anyone else
Nathan

check out maltapark look at properties on there many owners directly no agents

classifieds in the press and ask in the local stores and bars - ask the locals if they know anyone with a flat to rent. just be wary of the utilities billing

If you go to the Dhalia office in Qawra,Darren will help you. Seemed like a good guy when I met him.

Why pay someone to do something you can do yourself - I'm sure Darren's delightful but to get best deals this time of year you need to speak directly to landlords

facebook.com/groups/maltafriends.rentaflatorshare

Thanks all, im asking everywhere i go, starting to annoy the other half i think but hey, want somewhere to live or not? Looking on malta park daily but not very much in Qawra. . I'll keep checking.. ta. I'll check out Darren. Ta. Something will turn up I'm sure but there really does seem to b a shortage, all agents keep telling me it's worse than ever, etc etc.. Can't tell whether they're all spinning me the usual lines or there is actually a severe shortage, all seem to be saying doesn't matter the time of year anymore! Surely a line..

THEY WILL SAY ANYTHING TO GET A SALE  - Its all a game to get rid of the unwanted properties - preying on those who are desperate

Yeah, they all say that.  We signed for our last apartment through pressure and ended up paying over €2500 to get out of the contract in the end.  We've been out of it for over two months now and it's still sat empty. I think we were conned a bit with that one because we were easy prey thinking we had very little choice, so we settled for something we wasn't happy with. This is a property in Swieqi where they all say it's hard to find rental properties and they go fast.  Well not that one, or some of the ones we saw two months ago when we moved into this one.  They're all still being advertised on maltapark now.  I think maybe there is a shortage of nice properties though, so if you see one it'll go fast.

money pits is what theyre... and its your money in them.... theyre there because nobody wants them - unitl the unwary comes along and is conned.....

trust nothing - not even your contracts - sign nothing, pay nothing over,  until its been checked by knowledgable people..... it will cost you dearly if you dont heed that warning.

there are lots of good guys out there - believe me there are  - but there are as many bad guys who are there to fleece you nothing more = = beware the smiley smiley agent and landlord.....