Divorce in UK

Hello
My question is if a get married in India with an Indian citizen and we are coming to live in UK, can I get a divorce in here without going back in India? Subject to which country law is going to be the divorce process? I'm from Europe and we are going to register the marriage in my country as well. Thank you

I like to see forward thinking people.
Not even married, but asking about a divorce - frankly, it sounds like a scam marriage to sneak someone into the UK.

How much is he paying you?

Doubt anyone will want to assist you in your antics. Are sham marriages becoming so common place that people don't have any shame to talk openly about it in a public forum?

You're doing very well to improve the image of Eastern Europeans in the country, aren't you. They've given you the freedom to live & work here, and this is how you repay the favour.

Tell him to get in the queue like everyone else, and apply for a work visa. This is the way things work here. You get in the queue and wait for your turn. Cutting in line is apparently the norm in India.

It was just a question and I was giving an example just to making it easy to answer...my concern was only if you are doing this subject to which law you can divorce because Indian laws are very different of European laws, nobody is doing scam. But like usually people tend to be means. Thank you anyway for the answer. And if this is people big concern he already has a work visa in UK. He is living here for the last 10 years But we are going to do the wedding first in India and after that in Romania.

You cant blame us the way we react on your post. Your post was not specific enough and gave us enough space to think otherwise.

I you feel attacked or in any other way uncomfortable I apologize.

You both living in the UK but you want to get married in India and later on in Romania? And where you are going to live afterwards? In the UK or in Romania?

Gabriela1989 wrote:

It was just a question and I was giving an example just to making it easy to answer...my concern was only if you are doing this subject to which law you can divorce because Indian laws are very different of European laws, nobody is doing scam. But like usually people tend to be means. Thank you anyway for the answer. And if this is people big concern he already has a work visa in UK. He is living here for the last 10 years But we are going to do the wedding first in India and after that in Romania.

Hang on, no one is being mean.

Because this is your very own words:

You wrote:

if a get married in India with an Indian citizen and we are coming to live in UK

"coming to live in UK".. which would mean that he isn't already living here, but in India. Now you're saying he has been here for a decade. You're confusing us, as well as yourself. Why didn't you just simply ask if you get married in India, can you get a divorce here or must you return to India. That's all you had to say. There was no need for anything else. Or maybe he really is living in India, and now you're trying to save face? As it's a well known fact some Eastern Europeans are involved in bogus marriages to Indians (as well as other non-EU nationals), for immigration purposes only. Hmm. Anyway, forgive me, but who starts discussing divorce subject, while they are planning to get married? I don't find that normal. Not a great start to a married life, gathering knowledge already about divorce, is it? Since it's not the usual topic discussed by those planning to wed, it was only natural for us to assume you were expecting a divorce in the future. As if it's bound to happen. And as such, a marriage of convenience.

and in UK law you can only be married once.You can have the wedding blessed else where.

While the answers sound harsh. the question is very strange.
What else are we supposed to think?
When I got married, divorce wasn't even considered - we were far too concerned with where to live, getting a house, a settee, a rice cooker and all the normal stuff.

If you're thinking of divorce this early, you shouldn't be getting married.

Why marry in the first place when the divorce procedure is contemplated much before the marriage?

Hello everyone,

I draw your attention here that member Gabriela1989 has asked a question on a particular topic, we should be helping her without having any subjective criticism.

So, if you have relevant information concerning her query, please share and help.

Thank you for your kind understanding  :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Gabriela1989, you have another thread on the India forum with a similar subject where you have had some feedback, please check it out  ;)

Follow the link below :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=487138

Best of luck,
Bhavna

So she opened another thread. Which goes to show just how keen she is to find out about divorce laws. Never seen such eagerness just before a marriage to the person the divorce is itself about. So I stick by my view that it's a marriage scam she intends to have, as on that thread she says - "After few years they decide to divorce." So clearly it's a temporary marriage she is thinking about. As such, we can not help her with those plans. Well the only help I would offer is for her to not marry someone while asking about where they can divorce.

Nobody but sham marriage artists, gold diggers or billionaires gives a fig about divorce laws when they get married.

Guilty as charged.

I'm not really expert about it but i'll tell you what i know!!
If you register your marriage in UK then divorce in UK, law prosess will be UK law.
I'm Turkish and got married with UK woman and we didn't register our marriage in Turkey. We gonna divorce i think!!

You can be married several times in the UK, as long as you either divorce or the spouse dies.
What you cannot do is get married in certain churches more than once.

melih_ayhan wrote:

I'm not really expert about it but i'll tell you what i know!!
If you register your marriage in UK then divorce in UK, law prosess will be UK law.
I'm Turkish and got married with UK woman and we didn't register our marriage in Turkey. We gonna divorce i think!!

She must of woken up and smelt the coffee.

Good on her.

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Cheers, :)
Bhavna